« on: November 30, 2007, 05:14:16 PM »
 :)

K?

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do You Believe Her
    • View Profile
Re: GPA
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 05:23:56 PM »
Many schools have a scale that allows professors to give A+, which counts as 4.33
B < PL

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
  • And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 05:55:54 PM »
These people cheat.

devilishlyblue

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 06:03:07 PM »
My university allows professors to give A+'s but only credits them as 4.0.

However, when LSAC sees my transcript, the keep the letter grades (in this case, A+) but translate them into a different set of numbers.  In their translation, an A+ is a 4.33.

So at my university (like yours), it's impossible to exceed 4.0. However, students from my school can exceed 4.0 in their eventual LSDAS calculation.

MHLM

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 06:17:56 PM »
My school is weird in that it does not give letter grades, only numbers from the 4.0 scale. Also, it's a bit different in that professors can differentiate between awarding a student a 4.0, 3.9, 3.8, etc. For us, a 98-99%=4.0; 96-97%=3.9; etc. I guess we kind of get screwed when LSAC calculates the GPA because only the scaled number appears on our transcript, not the percentage. This also makes it impossible to get over a 4.0 from LSAC at my school.

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 07:03:17 PM »
I doubt schools put any emphasis at all on a score of 4.33 compared to 4.00 or similarly high GPAs.  I would assume all that matters is that you're above the school's 75% mark.

Bananas, Melonas, Yeah

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 07:48:07 PM »

However, when LSAC sees my transcript, the keep the letter grades (in this case, A+) but translate them into a different set of numbers.  In their translation, an A+ is a 4.33.

So at my university (like yours), it's impossible to exceed 4.0. However, students from my school can exceed 4.0 in their eventual LSDAS calculation.

TITCR

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
  • And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 07:57:51 PM »

TITCR
It is but it's not:

Having a 4.3 GPA probably is no better than having a 4.0 or a 3.95, BUT... Having the ability to offset your B+'s and A-'s with 4.3 A+s helps tremendously. My LSDAS GPA is a 3.9, but my school did not have A+ grades. If I went to a school with A+ grades, my few non-A grades would have been offset with 4.33 grades, and my final average would have been 4.0+.

It's not a huge competitive difference, but it does help a little bit.

studymaster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2007, 01:04:48 AM »
I doubt schools put any emphasis at all on a score of 4.33 compared to 4.00 or similarly high GPAs.  I would assume all that matters is that you're above the school's 75% mark.

Cosigned.  I also think there's a level at which they start thinking, "Gunner."
How do law schools feel abotu gunners. I mean we have student opinions, anyone any guesseso n this?
It is whispered that soon, if we all heed the call, the piper will lead us to reason.