Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do Law Schools give Veterans Preference?  (Read 2607 times)

callahan318

• View Profile
    • Email
Do Law Schools give Veterans Preference?
« on: November 30, 2007, 02:24:16 PM »
I figured I would ask if law schools give preference to vets or look favorably upon veterans who apply. I have numerous miiltary awards and commendations and have been in for 4 years. Overseas tours, CIB, etc etc...

thought?

casper13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Oh I just love her. dont you
    • View Profile
Re: Do Law Schools give Veterans Preference?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 02:40:34 PM »
I dont think they do give much preference to military as opposed to other candidates, but im sure it will make for a unique soft factor or maybe a good PS. Oh and dont gloat about having numerous awards and blah blah blah cause it is just bad taste, be humble with you military decorations thanks

callahan318

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 02:45:57 PM »
Ok, about what I was figuring...I intend to say very little about the awards, actually nothing more than that I served overseas.

Wurd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 02:50:28 PM »
Yeah I'm 4 years active and while your experience will bring some diversity. It wont change how your numbers look, but a good PS might sway the acceptance your way.

yoyodawg

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 02:54:46 PM »
Basically only for soft factors. Kinda ridiculous actually. Most veterans face more challenges than a URM yet they aren't given anywhere near the preference as a URM. It should make for a good personal statement though.

jalex519

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 04:17:42 PM »
I would list your awards on your resume. A lot of people list every time that they got on the dean's list on their resumes, so why not military commendations, I think that this will only help you.
2L and counting...

tebucky

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 04:46:01 PM »
Hey Callahan - another Vet here.  i certainly think it helps - I don't think it will make Harvard knock down my door anytime soon, but I got into 1 top 20 already and my #s aren't the greatest...highlight the leadership aspects (Platoon leader, XO, etc) in your resume and put all the awards in there too.  I did my PS about my time in OEF/OIF and why that made me want to go to LS.  If you've been stationed OCUNUS, I think they like the intl. experience too...

Quis Custodiet

• Omar Khayyam
    • AOL Instant Messenger - blcenturion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 05:18:55 PM »
The leadership angle will be good.  Other things that I think could help give you a boost are the ability to deal with stress--I mentioned knowing how to tell simulated stress (a la my FTOs at field training, or the evaluators at a training exercise) from real stress, and being able to look put things in perspective.  I'd also mention any experience you've had with interpreting regulations, ROEs, service instructions, etc.  Is it safe to assume you had experience in "Coalition warfighting?"  if you had to work issues of releasing information to other allies, and you can share them, it might be good.

I mostly put my service information in my resume, rather than a PS--although I mentioned it a good deal in there, it was mostly a setting for the main thrust of my statement.

About awards, I'm not sure how liberal your service is with decorations (we Air Force types tend to look like third world dictators after 4 years), but if it is I would definitely list the big ones and skip some of the smaller ones.  (I.e. Marksmanship probably won't help you with law school, but any Quarterly or yearly awards, or combats awards, should be mentioned.)  For example, I listed my Air medals, but ignored the training ribbons, National Defense, etc.

If you'd like, PM me and I'll send you the military section of my resume, if you need ideas for ways to try to use your service experience.
LSAT 176; GPA 3.96

The Winter Garment of Repentance fling (accept): Yale, Harvard, GULC, Duke
There was a door to which I found no key (denied):
Fools! your reward is neither Here nor There (Waitlisted):
Oh, come with old Khayyam and leave the wise (applied): Chicago, Michigan

armyjag

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2007, 07:53:24 PM »
I did my PS on deployed time in Iraq.  Mentioned on resume with appropriate bullet points.  Had a JAG Colonel write me a LOR.  Here's the key... if you have VA disability rating, I mentioned my membership in the Disabled American Veterans.  That has to be the ultimate soft factor for military time.
Proving there is redemption in this world...

armyjag

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2007, 07:56:38 PM »
Being Army, I only know about them, but Washburn and Texas Tech are run by former Army TJAGs, and there are several ex-JAGs who are profs. at TTU.
Proving there is redemption in this world...