« on: November 30, 2007, 10:57:39 AM »

sda
GW '11?

TurboBoy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Writing your own LOR?!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 11:40:35 AM »
Go all out.  There is nothing illegal or unethical as long as your boss signs off on the letter of recommendation, it becomes his.  Take this chance to write a very, very strong letter, say things that you wish you could candidly say to the committee, etc.  Make it very personal.  Good luck!
Support the arts, sleep with a musician.

qt314

• Sr. Citizen
  • pi = 3.14, k?
    • View Profile
    • bluewords
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 02:31:18 PM »
I actually had to do this as well, for a very busy prof of mine. Basically I thought about all the contexts in which she knew me, and how I personally felt I had excelled in those contexts, and I wrote about them in strong, glowing terms. I found one of those law school advice books that have examples of "great" LORs and formatted my rec letter accordingly. My prof read over the letter and was impressed with how well it was written, and corrected a few things (apparently she was only a prof for 6 years, not 10 - I had gotten the info from the school's website and it hadn't been corrected).

I think this is actually a great opportunity to say everything you want people to know about you, and say it unblushingly.

NYU Class of 2011!

papercranes

• Sr. Citizen
  • Beer Lao. Why did I leave and come to law school?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 02:34:32 PM »
I had to do this too. It was painful. how to write great things about yourself without coming off as an arrogant ass to the person who going to sign it? 
I actually have no idea.
Just get it done as quickly as possible. I procrastinated for weeks.
university of southern california 2011

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 02:42:40 PM »
I had to do this too. It was painful. how to write great things about yourself without coming off as an arrogant ass to the person who going to sign it? 
I actually have no idea.

Ditto on getting the LOR done ASAP. I waited until mid-October and I'm still regretting waiting that long. It'll take LSAC about 2 weeks to process it. I would write the letter soon and send it Fed Ex or priority mail so it gets processed in minimum time. Go complete soon! You are way behind schedule if you haven't gotten your LORs in at this point!
_______
.|E|R|S.

papercranes

• Sr. Citizen
  • Beer Lao. Why did I leave and come to law school?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 02:47:21 PM »
I actually have no idea.

Ditto on getting the LOR done ASAP. I waited until mid-October and I'm still regretting waiting that long. It'll take LSAC about 2 weeks to process it. I would write the letter soon and send it Fed Ex or priority mail so it gets processed in minimum time. Go complete soon! You are way behind schedule if you haven't gotten your LORs in at this point!

tetris: are your LORs in finally?
university of southern california 2011

nicole1220

• Sr. Citizen
  • I feel like that Chihuahua.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 02:48:45 PM »
Thanks for all of the advice guys. I definitely plan on having it in her hands for signature and FedExing on Monday.

And
Go complete soon! You are way behind schedule if you haven't gotten your LORs in at this point!

Ouch. Tell me something I don't already know haha..

EDIT: I probably should have clarified that I asked her to do it in October and thought it was already done....
GW '11?

bridget_jones

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 06:12:51 PM »
Sounds like a great opportunity Nicole. I'm sure that this letter will help you get into the school you want, but just remember one thing. When school gets really stressful and you've got exams to study for, don't start taking caffeine pills. You may become addicted and your friends will have to do an intervention.

rsr28

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2007, 08:28:26 PM »
Replying just because I love the Saved by the Bell reference...

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 11:46:31 AM »
Anyone have any good templates?
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?