Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anybody wanna quick read an addendum?  (Read 604 times)

patmycan

Anybody wanna quick read an addendum?
« on: November 30, 2007, 08:39:47 AM »
Addendum for Criminal Charges

On September 2nd, 2005, at the age of 19, I received a citation as a minor in possession of alcohol by the Police Department of Vermillion, South Dakota. During the incident my recorded blood alcohol content was .01 after receiving a breathalyzer. I later appeared at the clerk of courts to plead guilty to the charges. I received a fine and had my license revoked for the minimum sentence of thirty days. 

On August 18th, 2006, at the age of 20, I received a citation as a minor in possession of alcohol by the Police Department of Sioux Falls, South Dakota. During the incident my recorded blood alcohol content was .08 after receiving a breathalyzer. I appeared at an appointed court date the following month and plead guilty to the charge. I received a fine, was required to pay court fees, and my license was revoked for the minimum sentence of sixty days. For this incident I also received a suspended jail sentence of ten days for any future alcohol violations through my twenty-second birthday.

In regards to both of these alcohol related incidents I have accepted full responsibility for my actions. Furthermore, both of these incidents occurred at homes receiving noise violations and under no circumstances was a motor vehicle involved. In regards to my suspended sentence, I have remained free of any alcohol violations since my last court appearance.

Bueno?

jnb983

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody wanna quick read an addendum?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 09:05:03 AM »
I'm no expert on this stuff, but here's my opinion:

By the time I got to your last paragraph, I had already decided that you were an evil repeat drunk driver.  You might want to mention the part about no cars involved earlier.

"I have remained free of any alcohol violations since" sounds like you are having to work really hard at it.  While that may be true, it leaves an unpleasant taste.  Ohterwise, clear and well-written.
yo: Gtown($$), RU-C($), GW($), UIUC($$), Northwestern($)
no-go: Berkeley, H, Y, UChi
so-so: Fordham, Mich, UCLA, Columbia, Vandy, UVA, Penn, NYU 

el ess en

patmycan

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 09:11:08 AM »
How about: On September 2nd, 2005, at the age of 19, I was cited at a residence as a minor in possession of alcohol by the Police Department of Vermillion, South Dakota.

and

"In regards to my suspended sentence, I have remained free of any alcohol violations and will continue to do so in the future."

Thanks for the help jnb.

patmycan

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 09:23:28 AM »
How about: On September 2nd, 2005, at the age of 19, I was cited at a residence as a minor in possession of alcohol by the Police Department of Vermillion, South Dakota.

and

"In regards to my suspended sentence, I have remained free of any alcohol violations and will continue to do so in the future."

Thanks for the help jnb.

Better on both counts.

Wanna go get a drink?  j/k ;)

I'm in Holland now and if I'd been here the whole time the 16 year old drinking age would have saved me! Thanks for the help.

EatYourVeggies

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 09:35:24 AM »
Drop the BAC; it makes it sound like you were belligerent at the scene.  And don't say, "I have remained free of any alcohol violations."  (Hopefully you have, or you'd report those too!)  Just say "I now appreciate that responsible alcohol use includes following the law and waiting until the age of 21."

Plus, these are very routine charges.  Just get in there and out of there.  You should've had a lawyer (suspended 10 day jail sentence for possession???), but you should be sure to let them know you appeared "pro se" if you didn't have an attorney.

At the ages of 19 and 20, I was cited at private residences for possession of alcohol.  I now appreciate that responsible alcohol use includes exercising good judgment and following the laws.

September 2, 2005.  Cited for underage possession of alcohol in South Dakota.  Appeared pro se, plead guilty and accepted a fine and minimum 30-day license revocation.

August 18, 2006.  Cited for underage possession of alcohol in South Dakota.  Appeared pro se, plead guilty and accepted a fine, court costs, minimum 60-day license revocation, and a 10-day jail sentence (suspended). 

schlim13

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 01:17:17 PM »
your screwed...

the marauder

• Sr. Citizen
  • You've gone to the finest school alright
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 12:45:31 AM »
How do schools really look at these violations?  I mean I know they ask for a reason, but even for slightly serious charges would they auto-deny you?  If you write a good addendum and haven't gotten in trouble since an incident, would this keep someone out of a top school?
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=marauder

The lover who just walked out your door
Has taken all his blankets from the floor.
The carpet, too, is moving under you
And it's all over now, Baby Blue.

devilishlyblue

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 12:44:08 PM »
Depends on what you mean by slightly serious.

the marauder

• Sr. Citizen
  • You've gone to the finest school alright
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2007, 07:36:53 PM »
An arrest that led to a suspension from school, even though I was found not guilty....am i screwed?
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=marauder

The lover who just walked out your door
Has taken all his blankets from the floor.
The carpet, too, is moving under you
And it's all over now, Baby Blue.