Law School Discussion

-

Re: Liberal Arts Majors: Any Regrets?
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2007, 06:22:31 AM »
I landed a full-time job teaching mentally handicapped students with my history/philosophy degree.  I sold myself by admitting that I had no practical experience whatsoever, but that I was able to teach/reason things in the clearest manner possible, and think quickly, critically, and on my feet.  OF COURSE, I said, that would come in handy when trying to teach frustrated students with disabilities.

Basically, it was a load of BS, but they bought it.

I think it's all about how you portray yourself.  I admitted at the beginning of my interview - flat out - that on the face, they had no reason to hire me.  They appreciated the honesty, then bought my BS. Other jobs, you probably have to dip into the content of what you've learned in degrees like that and try to sell it...are you a poli sci majors and applying for an analyst position?  English major and applying to be some sort of clerk or secretary?

I'm a firm believer in liberal arts degrees.  I do agree that a huge part is networking.  Call everybody you know on the face of the planet, and DON'T ask for a job (that's a huge turnoff).  Tell them you're looking for X type of job, and ask them if they know any one that may have something like that available.  They'll give you 3-4 names, and eventually you'll come across some one that will offer you one instead of giving you more names.  The key is not to beg for a job...you call for information.

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2007, 08:25:51 AM »
Probably been said somewhere in here, but why not just be a paralegal?

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2007, 12:20:40 PM »
Probably been said somewhere in here, but why not jsut be a paralegal?

How would you do that?  (Serious.)

Most people can get them with near straight-A grades coming out of UG. Or a very prestigious UG.

There are also paralegal programs. To be frank, those look a little sketchy to me, being run by the likes of the University of Phoenix.

« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2007, 12:34:20 PM »
Probably been said somewhere in here, but why not jsut be a paralegal?

How would you do that?  (Serious.)

To apply for a legal assistant position, send your resume and cover letter to: 

Rachelle A. Granada
Recruiting Coordinator
Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP
Worldwide Plaza
825 Eighth Avenue
New York, N.Y. 10019-7475
staffrecruit@cravath.com

Just go to whatever firm website you want at look at the "careers" section.

Does your mom still cut your steak for you?

Everyone and their brother works at Cravath, unfortunately I  think most (if not all) practice areas require a 2 yr. commitment.

« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2007, 01:17:16 PM »
As others have said, I think that networking is a major component in a liberal arts major finding a decent job. I was required to take several business/management classes (my undergrad will be a BFA, not liberal arts technically), and was also required to do FOUR internships. Constantly being "the intern" was irritating; since I was in nonprofits, I never got paid. But I'll tell you one thing: I am guaranteed a good job when I graduate. I have connections at most of the major nonprofits around town, and former internship supervisors who are willing to put in a good word for me.

Now, this depends on your field. Some fields are definitely fueled more by connections and who you know than others, the arts and nonprofits being one of them. But I feel like without those internships and the contacts I made there I would never be getting a job.

« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2007, 01:27:00 PM »
I work as a paralegal at a top DC firm.  In Dec. of my senior year I sent my resume to every firm in the Vault 50.  Mind you, I went to the third best school in DC, but I had interviews at 25 of the top 50 firms.  I would have had more had I not already accepted a position at my current firm.  I have no practical skills, but I didn't whine about it. I am convinced that anyone can get these jobs.  I had no family connections either. My firm has no two year commitment, although I am staying for two years, and they give me 15k towards my first year law school tuition upon leaving.  Partners have told me they want me to come back and I plan on doing my 1L summer here. I make over 50k per year and don't work that much overtime. Bottom line is, if you don't have a job out of undergrad, no matter what your major is, it is your fault, not your school's, not your major's. 

« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2007, 01:27:57 PM »
I do, however, wish I doubled in philosophy and econ or finance.  It, no doubt, would make me more marketable.

ilsox7

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2007, 01:32:22 PM »
I work as a paralegal at a top DC firm.  In Dec. of my senior year I sent my resume to every firm in the Vault 50.  Mind you, I went to the third best school in DC, but I had interviews at 25 of the top 50 firms.  I would have had more had I not already accepted a position at my current firm.  I have no practical skills, but I didn't whine about it. I am convinced that anyone can get these jobs.  I had no family connections either. My firm has no two year commitment, although I am staying for two years, and they give me 15k towards my first year law school tuition upon leaving.  Partners have told me they want me to come back and I plan on doing my 1L summer here. I make over 50k per year and don't work that much overtime. Bottom line is, if you don't have a job out of undergrad, no matter what your major is, it is your fault, not your school's, not your major's. 

The pay for paralegals in DC is amazing.  I had a friend who spent a couple of years making 90K as a paralegal out there.

« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2007, 01:33:22 PM »

The pay for paralegals in DC is amazing.  I had a friend who spent a couple of years making 90K as a paralegal out there.

100% correct.  My practice area is not that busy.  Friends at Covington and Wilmer regularly pull all nighters and more than doubled their starting salary.

ilsox7

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2007, 01:35:44 PM »

100% correct.  My practice area is not that busy.  Friends at Covington and Wilmer regularly pull all nighters and more than doubled their starting salary.

Yea.  This guy was going to San Fran on a regular basis.  Anyways, he decided lawyering wasn't for him.