Law School Discussion

-

ilsox7

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Liberal Arts Majors: Any Regrets?
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2007, 11:06:38 AM »

Dude, relax.  I'm joking.  I took a few business classes and it just wasn't particularly interesting to me.  I'm in a finance-oriented job and it's not particularly interesting to me.

I was a Poli Sci major and I have a "great" job that many of my currently "taking-some-time-off" friends would kill to have.  It's not bitterness or jealousy.  Just kidding around.

And I already apologized for my prior statement.

It's all good.  I edited after I saw your ETA.  I just found it ironic the perception some had of finance folks.  Granted, there are plenty of finance people out there who simply do manipulate excel, but they are going nowhere fast in their careers anyways.

ilsox7

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2007, 11:12:21 AM »
I love my business/finance/accounting friends.  Come to think of it, I hang out with way more business/engineering majors than liberal arts majors.

Business people tend to go out and drink.  A lot.  It's another form of networking.  And people laugh when I say that, but being able to drink in a "business setting" is EXTREMELY important to your career.

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2007, 11:23:39 AM »
Business people tend to go out and drink.  A lot.  It's another form of networking.  And people laugh when I say that, but being able to drink in a "business setting" is EXTREMELY important to your career.

TITCR

Since many of the "professional" meetings I have been to have been in social settings like bars, restaurants, etc. I don't regret missing out on the library time I could've had if I had done fewer social activities. I would say that being able to handle yourself in a "bar" situation is an important skill for any professional to have.

ilsox7

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2007, 11:26:33 AM »

TITCR

Since many of the "professional" meetings I have been to have been in social settings like bars, restaurants, etc. I don't regret missing out on the library time I could've had if I had done fewer social activities. I would say that being able to handle yourself in a "bar" situation is an important skill for any professional to have.

Yep.  For instance, the full-time job I have for after the Bar had a happy hour a few weeks back.  After 4 or 5 hours of hanging out at the bar, trading stories and whatnot, they asked if I wanted to start hourly next semester.  Take the summer to study for he bar, then start up at the normal full-time start.  So now I get a few extra months to get used to this job, make some cash, and know these people on a more personal level.  That is all too common in business.

In fact, in my job straight out of undergrad, they basically made it known that you had better be social.  If you weren't, it hurt your career.

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2007, 01:51:16 PM »
I'm glad I concentrated in two liberal arts majors.  Likewise, I haven't had a hard time finding work.  But I've been working since I was sixteen and I know how to interview/market myself.

Honestly, if you interviewed Wally, would you hire him?  The fact that all of my college graduate friends--including that friend that almost failed out of a TTT state school-- have found jobs paying $30-50k in FLORIDA (which would be $50-70k in NYC) makes me balk at anyone unable to find a $30k job.  Apply to be a copy editor/admin. assistant/beat reporter/dog walker.  A friend of mine walked dogs right after law school and made about $1,000/week (in Chicago).  If you're from NYC you should have some connections.  Everyone I know that moves up there somehow makes it work. 

papercranes

• Beer Lao. Why did I leave and come to law school?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2007, 01:56:43 PM »
I'm glad I concentrated in two liberal arts majors.  Likewise, I haven't had a hard time finding work.  But I've been working since I was sixteen and I know how to interview/market myself.
Honestly, if you interviewed Wally, would you hire him?  The fact that all of my college graduate friends--including that friend that almost failed out of a TTT state school-- have found jobs paying $30-50k in FLORIDA (which would be $50-70k in NYC) makes me balk at anyone unable to find a $30k job.  Apply to be a copy editor/admin. assistant/beat reporter/dog walker.  A friend of mine walked dogs right after law school and made about $1,000/week (in Chicago).  If you're from NYC you should have some connections.  Everyone I know that moves up there somehow makes it work. 

agreed with this in particular. I've had a job since I was 14.
liberal arts education be damned, the only thing on a resume that really matters at this point in life (read: shortly after uni) is that you show you're willing to work hard. I've had jobs I had no business getting solely becuase I've worked a lot before.

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2007, 02:35:59 PM »
agreed with this in particular. I've had a job since I was 14.
liberal arts education be damned, the only thing on a resume that really matters at this point in life (read: shortly after uni) is that you show you're willing to work hard. I've had jobs I had no business getting solely becuase I've worked a lot before.

Doubly agree - finding good paying work is not difficult, even in a failing economy like Michigan's. You might just be looking in the wrong places. You could make $30k annually mowing lawns and plowing snow with your local DPW. Is your university hiring? If so, you could work there until law school and never even really have to leave the academic bubble.

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2007, 02:37:45 PM »
I have mixed feelings about this thread.  I'm a history/economics major, switched from finance and investments because I didn't like many of my fellow finance majors. I mean I had to do group projects with those people. At my university, the Management school students are the most socially inept people I have ever met.  All they seem to care about is obtaining Analyst positions at: Lynch, Stanley, UBS etc etc.  I couldn't stand taking courses with these people. While I won't discount that finance students learn more than how to use excel, they're very unilateral minded.  I know this sounds like a generalization, but they are few business majors I could be friends with.  Admittedly, some of this is bias.  Sometimes I do wish I stuck to finance.  All their tests are multiple choice and there are always concrete "right" and "wrong" answers; there's little room for subjectiveness.  Unlike history, and even sometimes in my econ courses,there's a lot of theory and critical analysis. In turn this allows a lot of room for subjectiveness.  A professor or TA could lower your grade because they disagree with your analysis; someone else may think it's spot on.  In terms of jobs employers including the aforementioned firms should hire more liberal arts students.  From what I noticed in the Management school, there's not much you learn in the classroom that really applies to the actual job.  A lot of it is learn as you go.

Overall though, I wouldn't trade my Liberal Arts degree for anything, except a J.D. ;)  While I want specialize in Corporate Finance and M&A's as an attorney, that doesn't require that I get my B.S. in Finance.  All I need to know about Finance I'll learn in law school.  It's not that difficult to read Financial Statements.  For now, I'll learn about my passions :D

EDIT: At my school it's not only difficult for Arts and Sciences students to find work, but our engineering students have hard times too.  Military suppliers recruit here, but the students aren't interested in working for them.  It's hard out there, I already came to the conclusion that if law school isn't in my future (however it seems to be) I'll resort to living in a cardboard box.

ilsox7

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2007, 02:43:52 PM »
All their tests are multiple choice and there are always concrete "right" and "wrong" answers;

That's odd b/c I don't think I ever had one multiple choice finance exam.  Almost all of them were problem-based where you had to walk through a detailed analysis.  It was ALL about partial credit b/c everyone had different answers.

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2007, 02:56:31 PM »
All their tests are multiple choice and there are always concrete "right" and "wrong" answers;

That's odd b/c I don't think I ever had one multiple choice finance exam.  Almost all of them were problem-based where you had to walk through a detailed analysis.  It was ALL about partial credit b/c everyone had different answers.

Sounds more like my Int'l trade and econometrics exams.  The finance exams are different.  Moreover, I used the multiple choice (MC) exams as example because they're more prevalent in the business school.  However, not all they exams are MC, they just have more than my majors.