Law School Discussion

-

-
« on: November 29, 2007, 09:11:27 AM »
-

Re: Liberal Arts Majors: Any Regrets?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 09:14:11 AM »
Yes. I've been out for two years with my lib. arts degree, and I find it extremely, extremely difficult to find professional job opportunities. Which is why I'm going to law school - I'm sick of retail, waiting, and entry level customer service BS.

If I could go back I'd add a double major in finance.

t L

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 09:23:34 AM »
Nah, I like my major which actually got me the job I have now which I love.  If I were to go back to school, I'd do it all over again.

$Bill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 09:28:46 AM »
I love history, and classics...and on one side, I'm glad that my passion inflated my gpa and let me enjoy college.  On the other side, after graduating I couldnt find a professional job in Boston (and was never called back for any law firm data entry or secretary position)...my history degree had me driving old people to dialysis.  This gave me humility I suppose, but kept me quite poor.  When I got to NYC the only professional job/admin job that didnt laugh at me is a Poetry International type vanity publication.  I feel I was blind or stupid to have not taken a paralegal or legal secretary course offered by my college, or at least some basic accounting or business courses; and perhaps a bit frustrated that I didn't have a more marketable major such as offered by a polytechnical college (I look at my friends that are journeymen electricians with a huge amount of respect and envy).  I'm lucky I chose a public school and graduated without debt, or I probably woulda taken a jump out of a fifth story window. 

In the end, I needed a trade, was poor at math, and since I love dry material, I decided on the study of law.

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 09:36:21 AM »
huge regrets. I'm seriously considering going back for an engineering degree. I won't let any of my children major in a liberal arts field.

$Bill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 09:50:39 AM »
You apply to a bank, they pay you poorly and make you get up early on saturday.

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 09:55:53 AM »
i think one of the problems is the since of entitlement that is out there.  if you thought that you were going to strut out of you middle of the road UG with your government degree and people were going to be throwing $60,000 salaries at you like rice at a wedding, you were simply mistaken.  However, if you majored in a liberal arts degree with the understanding that it was not a trade you were learning but instead how to speak, write, read, reason, present, and think critically above those without such experience, then you chose the right major.  If you wanted simply to learn a trade, go to plumbing school.

The point is that liberal arts degree give you the beginning, they are never intended to be the end.  From a lib arts start, you should expect to follow with a graduate degree in something more concrete or with a low starting positing where you can learn the specifics of the field because the job doesn't need to teach you how to 'be' a professional, you lib arts should have taken care of that.

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 10:05:39 AM »
i think one of the problems is the since of entitlement that is out there.  if you thought that you were going to strut out of you middle of the road UG with your government degree and people were going to be throwing $60,000 salaries at you like rice at a wedding, you were simply mistaken.  However, if you majored in a liberal arts degree with the understanding that it was not a trade you were learning but instead how to speak, write, read, reason, present, and think critically above those without such experience, then you chose the right major.  If you wanted simply to learn a trade, go to plumbing school.

The point is that liberal arts degree give you the beginning, they are never intended to be the end.  From a lib arts start, you should expect to follow with a graduate degree in something more concrete or with a low starting positing where you can learn the specifics of the field because the job doesn't need to teach you how to 'be' a professional, you lib arts should have taken care of that.

All I want is a 30K job with decent benefits, and, no, I haven't been able to find that in months.  I knew exactly what I was getting myself into from the outset; I wanted to go to law school when I started undergrad.

then why are you looking for a diff job?

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 10:11:04 AM »

All I want is a 30K job with decent benefits, and, no, I haven't been able to find that in months.  I knew exactly what I was getting myself into from the outset; I wanted to go to law school when I started undergrad.

What do you mean by different job?  I just want decent employment, period.  Let me wash dishes and I'll do so if you pay me $20 an hour.

And I'm lucky to be in a situation in which this is only a problem until next fall, when I'll start law school.  I have acquintances that call up places, try to get in the door, and find very little.

what meant was, if you need a job, then clearly you have waited some time bt ug and law school.  if you knew you wanted to go to law school, then why did you wait i year?  im sure theres a million legit reasons, just wondering what yours are.  also, i KNOW that you can get a job waiting talbes somewhere, i had to such jobs in undergrad, and i find it difficult to believe that you cant find one now

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 10:16:53 AM »

What do you mean by different job?  I just want decent employment, period.  Let me wash dishes and I'll do so if you pay me $20 an hour.

And I'm lucky to be in a situation in which this is only a problem until next fall, when I'll start law school.  I have acquintances that call up places, try to get in the door, and find very little.

what meant was, if you need a job, then clearly you have waited some time bt ug and law school.  if you knew you wanted to go to law school, then why did you wait i year?  im sure theres a million legit reasons, just wondering what yours are.  also, i KNOW that you can get a job waiting talbes somewhere, i had to such jobs in undergrad, and i find it difficult to believe that you cant find one now

Oh, I thought that I would be best served by having an entire summer to study for the LSAT, which paid off tremendously.  I didn't earn a "175" or anything, but my score is/was enough for a good school.

well from an employers point of view, why would i bring you in, youre just gonna leave.  i would rather invest in longevity, hell, even if its a waiter.  however, im assuming you havent told you potential employers, but i still dont see how you cant land a decent low paying job for the next 8 months or so.  got two jobs waiting tables, youll be working nealy full time and be making plenty to relax and drink it up before law school