Author Topic: PT v FT  (Read 450 times)

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
PT v FT
« on: November 28, 2007, 09:31:33 PM »
Quick question:

What are some of the major disadvantages of going PT rather than FT?  I know that you have to start paying your UG loans, but with a part-time job (and a fiance's full-time job) I don't think that would be too much to handle.  Other than that, I'm having trouble seeing why FT is so much more desirable than PT, seeing as admissions criteria for the latter are much more lax.

Are merit scholarships harder to come by as a PT applicant?
Are activities like Moot Court and Law Review more difficult to participate in?
Do employers look less favorably on PTers?

Thanks for any insight.
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

I am Penny Lane

• Sr. Citizen
  • Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
Re: PT v FT
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 09:47:05 PM »
Quick question:

What are some of the major disadvantages of going PT rather than FT?  I know that you have to start paying your UG loans, but with a part-time job (and a fiance's full-time job) I don't think that would be too much to handle.  Other than that, I'm having trouble seeing why FT is so much more desirable than PT, seeing as admissions criteria for the latter are much more lax.

I though you had to stay above a certian number of credit hours to keep the loan monsters away? If so, you should have enough even going PT to LS. (I paid for UG myself by working... so I know nothing about loans.)

Are merit scholarships harder to come by as a PT applicant?
Are activities like Moot Court and Law Review more difficult to participate in?
Do employers look less favorably on PTers?

Thanks for any insight.

Yes. (See LSAC offical data)
I doubt it.
Not that I know of.  The only trouble you might run into is if you are taking classes during the summer.
LSN

Quote from: dotlyn
PennyLane invented sweet. She has the patent on it. I tried to act sweet one time and she sued me.

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 11:12:51 PM »
Thanks, I'll look into the LSAC info.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 02:22:27 PM »
Here's a slightly different question that might be easier to answer:

Why are you choosing to go Full Time rather than Part Time?

$Bill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 08:00:39 AM »
How easy is it to transfer full time while your in good standing?  Also, I have no undergrad debt, but working along with going to school seems to imply you'd have much less time to work and study for school.  Also, getting to school on time...do pt classes start at 8 or something?  I cant imagine getting up at 6 and getting home without food at 11 each night.  Nightmarish.  I need my beauty sleep and a good bit of reading for pleasure.