Law School Discussion

Conditional Principle questions

dubsy

• View Profile
Conditional Principle questions
« on: November 28, 2007, 07:28:18 PM »
Is it fair to say that questions that ask which AC "most closely conforms to the principle stated above," amd in which a conditional principle is involved, that principle is likely to be applied/appear in its original sufficient-necessary form rather than contrapositive in the correct answer choice?  Reason I ask is because I find these to be somewhat time-consuming, but I have noticed a pattern that these usually are pretty straightforward and just demand the task of you scanning the answer choices for whatever actually ends up looking like the sufficient-necessary version of it.  Otherwise, wouldn't the contrapositive sound pretty awkward as a situation? 

Re: Conditional Principle questions
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 07:32:33 PM »
I think you're right in that they are usually stated pretty straightforwardly. They're usually not difficult questions, just very long. However, the logical weight of the principle does not change if the contrapositive is asserted, so why decide beforehand that you shouldn't be looking for it? Maybe look for the straightforward application first, if you can't find anything you like, check for the contrapositive.

My advice conforms to this principle: Even if a strategy can be reasonably assumed to work in the majority of situations, it should not be used in favor of an alternate strategy that will work in all situations, even if the former strategy is more convenient to use than the latter.

Re: Conditional Principle questions
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 08:05:37 PM »
Yea, I agree you most often see the CR in the form it was given in the stimulus usually.