Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: In State Residency  (Read 641 times)

necro8617

• View Profile
    • Email
In State Residency
« on: November 28, 2007, 09:05:39 PM »
Is there a list of state schools that allow you to become a resident after 1 year? I am specifically interested in the Florida schools. I'm kind of pissed because I will have lived in FL for over a year by the time I would start but I don't think I qualify because my parents are helping with rent =(

billymahogany

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
In:  UF, Tulane, FSU($), Miami($$$), Stetson, Oregon($)
Out: Washington and Lee
W/L: Arizona
Decision: UF c/o 2011!

jalex519

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: In State Residency
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 07:50:00 AM »
Florida is one of easiest states in the country to get in state tuition in. Just get a Florida driver's license at least 1 yr prior to the start of classes your 2L year.
2L and counting...

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 07:58:29 AM »
all of the Florida public schools allow you to get in-state residency after the first year. However, you must show proof of residency for a full 12 months before you apply for the residency exemption. Therefore, as soon as you get to Florida, move your bills to your FL address, get your driver's license and car titling changed over STAT; and do it a month before 1L begins. Then, the following July before 2L begins, petition the university with the exemption.
Vanderbilt 2010

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 08:40:20 AM »
There was a thread on these boards that included a list of all states...  can't find it though.

EDIT:  Mmm... Here's one
http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,16454.10.html

I am Penny Lane

• Sr. Citizen
  • Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 08:51:33 AM »
Tennessee was SUPER easy. I moved there 9 months before school started (thats all you need) and registered to vote, got my drivers license, and a job (kept car title in VA). Poof. I start school 9 months later at a TN resident!

When I spoke to the admissions dude about it, he said it is a gray area, and even if it is not 9 months if you make steps to become a resident (like the ones I did) they will give it too you. Not sure if all schools in TN opperate that way.

Thats good news for the FL schools! I applied to 2 of them as back up options. (I think I will most likely have to use that option)
LSN

Quote from: dotlyn
PennyLane invented sweet. She has the patent on it. I tried to act sweet one time and she sued me.

iLukeisamazing

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Noles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 09:25:43 AM »
all of the Florida public schools allow you to get in-state residency after the first year. However, you must show proof of residency for a full 12 months before you apply for the residency exemption. Therefore, as soon as you get to Florida, move your bills to your FL address, get your driver's license and car titling changed over STAT; and do it a month before 1L begins. Then, the following July before 2L begins, petition the university with the exemption.

Good call Julie! It's getting more difficult to change residency in FL, not that you can't do it, it's just no longer getting a FL driver's license and address. You need everything changed: license, voter registration, home address, etc. As long as you do it, you should be perfectly fine.

Other states with easy to get residency: GA, AL, TN.

I am Penny Lane

• Sr. Citizen
  • Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 09:37:25 AM »
You need everything changed: license, voter registration, home address, etc. As long as you do it, you should be perfectly fine.

What about car title? I want to keep mycar registered where it is. Do they require that? I mean... it wouldn't make much sence... what if you don't have a car to re-register.
LSN

Quote from: dotlyn
PennyLane invented sweet. She has the patent on it. I tried to act sweet one time and she sued me.

iLukeisamazing

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Noles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 09:52:28 AM »
You need everything changed: license, voter registration, home address, etc. As long as you do it, you should be perfectly fine.

What about car title? I want to keep mycar registered where it is. Do they require that? I mean... it wouldn't make much sence... what if you don't have a car to re-register.

I think it's just the big ones: license, domicile, voter registration. It's much easier to do as a grad student, because they think you're more likely to stick around and you're not under your parents any longer.

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2007, 09:42:58 AM »
It depends on the state. In Florida, you switch your driver's license before you re-title your car. In Texas, you are required to re-title your car before they will change your driver's license. Check the jurisdiction.

Of course, if you don't have a car, disregard ---> just get your new driver's license.

However, if you are establishing residency in a new state and you are a car owner, you must re-title your car. It is the law. You have a set number of days to do this; the requirements vary by state. There can be some pretty large fines if you are caught. Florida in particular is a stickler about this; even more so if your registration is not current.

However, if the car is titled to more than one person; you and a relative, check the requirements. I am not advising one way or the other; but this might be a reason you would not be required to retitle if the car doesn't belong to you exclusively.

I strongly advise you to follow the law in establishing residency in all aspects of the requirements. Please remember that if you are applying to law school that there is more than the Bar Exam to contend with once you are done with law school. The Character and Fitness section of the Bar requires an exhaustive background check. Something like this can be one of those technicalities that delay your being admitted to the Bar; or could even possibly deny your Bar admission as a question of your ability to follow the law or to be a good role model. I don't think this alone would deny bar admission, but it might be one more thing to cause them to turn down your application if there are any other gray areas.

How do they find these things out? Your guess is as good as mine. But I have heard plenty of stories from Bar Applicants and read cases about Bar Applicants in my Professional Responsibility course this semester. I would err on the side of caution from the moment you send in your law school applications. Keep your nose clean.

PS: You can do your FL voter registration when you get your drivers' license. You are not required to register to vote in Florida. But if you change your residency to Florida and don't register to vote there, I hope it is pretty obvious that you no longer have a right to vote in your previous home state!
Vanderbilt 2010