Law School Discussion

HELP! Freaking LG

armada

• I have people to go and places to see!
    • View Profile
HELP! Freaking LG
« on: November 28, 2007, 04:56:13 AM »
Need help.  I suck at game in general but particularly grouping games.  I've been getting better but yesterday, I ran into a couple that stumped me, the last game on the June 1997 LSAT (with the 7 jugglers) and the third game October 1997 (7 researchers).  The ones with 7 people in two teams of three just seem to kil me.  Anyway, can someone please explain how to set these up, what to look for, etc.  Also, any general advice on games (especially the ones with a bunch of conditionals) will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

dubsy

• View Profile
Re: HELP! Freaking LG
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 07:48:12 AM »
I'll take a look at these specific games later and hopefully give you some more detailed tips, but for grouping games in general, I always make sure I know what can and cannot be together - on BOTH sides (or if it's more than 2 categories, for as many of those groups as possible).  I always do the CPs, and always link as many as possible - both forwards and backwards.  Make sure though that your writing is clear and NOT messy - otherwise it's not going to help you.  If you can nail a good setup in the beginning, you'll find that you save a lot of time figuring stuff out in hypotheticals later and will probably whiz through the game. HTH.

armada

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 12:48:25 PM »
Thanks a lot.

Lil Orphan Annie

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 05:13:02 PM »
^^ That's one of the most gracefully-dancing Spidermans I've ever seen.

armada

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 08:57:12 PM »
^^ That's one of the most gracefully-dancing Spidermans I've ever seen.

lol.  You should watch him while playing Good Charlotte's Dance Floor Anthem in the background.  It's a hilarious sight.  Yes, this is what I do in my free time.

heidi

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 09:09:22 AM »
to the OP:

here's a little tip I found useful.  I don't know if it's been published elsewhere, but whenever I set up the diagram for the LG, I always write down the "certain" info on the set up first. 

For example, if it's a linear game with five variables in five positions, and the directions say "X is before Y and W, Z must be in position 2" write the Z in position 2 before worrying about the x relative to Y and W.  Usually the certain info is written last in the set up instructions, but make sure to write it down first.  At least that always helps me understand the rest of the specifications more easily.