Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: black community at harvard  (Read 10509 times)

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: black community at harvard
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2007, 03:32:00 PM »
These online forums have a fair number of anti-AA flamers. Has anyone encountered that kind of animosity during law school?

Since I see that you've gotten into YLS, I can answer that no, I've never encountered such animosity.  Now, some people here are definitely anti-AA, but they never direct anything at you, and I've never gotten the sense that I'm viewed as an AA admit in anyone's eyes (one of my good friends is a staunch conservative, anti-AA type, yet we get along great).  It's a welcoming place.  That said, if you want to get into an AA debate, you definitely can.  But that's just law school--we debate everything, and there are people on both sides.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2007, 03:41:14 PM »
And all of y'all need to calm down...sheesh.

CandyMonster

• Sr. Citizen
  • Gimme candy!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2007, 03:42:11 PM »
These online forums have a fair number of anti-AA flamers. Has anyone encountered that kind of animosity during law school?

Since I see that you've gotten into YLS, I can answer that no, I've never encountered such animosity.  Now, some people here are definitely anti-AA, but they never direct anything at you, and I've never gotten the sense that I'm viewed as an AA admit in anyone's eyes (one of my good friends is a staunch conservative, anti-AA type, yet we get along great).  It's a welcoming place.  That said, if you want to get into an AA debate, you definitely can.  But that's just law school--we debate everything, and there are people on both sides.

Thanks for the response, A.
2007-2008 cycle
Accepted (in order): Duke, Harvard, UMich, Yale, Cornell, UVa, UPenn
Pending: Stanford, NYU, Columbia

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2007, 03:47:27 PM »
Are you considering YLS?

CandyMonster

• Sr. Citizen
  • Gimme candy!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2007, 03:51:05 PM »
Are you considering YLS?

Ummmm, is that a serious question, lol? Of course I am!  :D

(P.S. I am aka Ataraxia. You've been answering my questions about Yale via email, remember?)
2007-2008 cycle
Accepted (in order): Duke, Harvard, UMich, Yale, Cornell, UVa, UPenn
Pending: Stanford, NYU, Columbia

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2007, 03:53:33 PM »
Oooooh, hey you!  Cool, just making sure ;)

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2007, 08:03:39 PM »
I never understood the point of this thread to begin with. The black community at HLS is just like the black community at any of school of that caliber.  Theres a mixture---some affluent, some poors, a bunch of Africans and West Indians and biracial people, and theres going to be those black people who you don't even know exist bc you never see them at "black" functions.  For the most part, all the black students know each other (a good and bad thing) and BLSAs tend to stick together and be helpful.

I don't think this is reason enough to be (or rather for RGB to have been) so rude.  For one thing, not everyone here has been to a "school of that caliber" or even to the northeast before, so it's not fair to be annoyed with people for asking questions about it.  Also, I am sure there are plenty of differences between being in, say, Palo Alto and being in a largely black city like New Haven or between being in a (relatively) proportionately large black community at Yale and being in a large black community in absolute terms at Harvard.  Some of the people here have been generous about sharing their impressions of life at Harvard, and I think their comments have shown that it's not just like any other place (I am thinking particularly of Nat's discussion of the Cambridge/Boston black communities).
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2007, 08:04:03 PM »
Cuz y'all actin' like lil bitches right now. I'm sorry, but y'all are.

Did you gender it this time?  I can't tell.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2007, 08:14:49 PM »
I never understood the point of this thread to begin with. The black community at HLS is just like the black community at any of school of that caliber.  Theres a mixture---some affluent, some poors, a bunch of Africans and West Indians and biracial people, and theres going to be those black people who you don't even know exist bc you never see them at "black" functions.  For the most part, all the black students know each other (a good and bad thing) and BLSAs tend to stick together and be helpful.

I don't think this is reason enough to be (or rather for RGB to have been) so rude.
For one thing, not everyone here has been to a "school of that caliber" or even to the northeast before, so it's not fair to be annoyed with people for asking questions about it.  Also, I am sure there are plenty of differences between being in, say, Palo Alto and being in a largely black city like New Haven or between being in a (relatively) proportionately large black community at Yale and being in a large black community in absolute terms at Harvard.  Some of the people here have been generous about sharing their impressions of life at Harvard, and I think their comments have shown that it's not just like any other place (I am thinking particularly of Nat's discussion of the Cambridge/Boston black communities).

titcr.  You should all come to Michigan.  Our blacks our kind and welcoming.  :P
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2007, 09:05:47 PM »
Cuz y'all actin' like lil bitches right now. I'm sorry, but y'all are.

Did you gender it this time?  I can't tell.

I never gender it.
Look to the left -- Look to the right