Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: black community at harvard  (Read 10112 times)

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
Re: black community at harvard
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2007, 09:44:12 PM »
Does anyone else have any insights on the OP's questions? I'm curious as well...

I go to H. I mean, what do y'all want to know? Just take your black ass here and see.  :D
Look to the left -- Look to the right

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2007, 09:55:51 PM »
What House Boy is trying to say is that Harvard, being the third-largest law school in the nation, has plenty of diversity.  Boston is also diverse.  This is really one of those instances in which you don't have much to worry about.  Yeah, you hear stories of racism, but really...what city doesn't have those?  I'd really like to know.

And if any of you get into Yale, the answer is pretty much the same, except divide H's size by 3.  Diversity really shouldn't be a reason to keep you from going to either school, although, of course, that's not going to stop you guys from over-analyzing every little thing.  I did the same thing and can't blame you, but it's amusing nonetheless.

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2007, 09:59:43 PM »
H is pretty diverse. It has a big class and plenty of black people. As far as other races, asians are well represented but not a lot of latinos.

Many of the blk ppl are children of immigrants, or immigrants themselves or biracial. I think the biggest thing is that most of the kids are sons and daughters of privilege meaning they are disproportionately higher on the socioeconomic scale than the population at large.
Look to the left -- Look to the right

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2007, 10:03:43 PM »
That's elite law schools generally, although there are probably more at H because of the size and name.

t L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2007, 07:05:34 AM »
Many of the blk ppl are children of immigrants, or immigrants themselves or biracial. I think the biggest thing is that most of the kids are sons and daughters of privilege meaning they are disproportionately higher on the socioeconomic scale than the population at large.

Interesting.

That's elite law schools generally, although there are probably more at H because of the size and name.

Do you think this is because of the applicant pool and these types have better numbers or is it the elite schools favor the rich over the poor?  I fit none of the types in his post and it scares me that it might affect my chances at good schools.
Michigan 2L

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2007, 07:49:27 AM »
It's a number of factors (opportunity cost, testing, graduation rates, etc.).  The fact of the matter is that most people who apply to and enter elite graduate and professional schools come from privileged backgrounds.  It doesn't mean you're disadvantaged if you're poor or whatever; there are just not that many poor people applying.  As for the children of immigrants, that's another elite education thing.  But I'd rather not get into that.  Just know that if you go to one of these schools, most of your future black classmates won't be descendants of American slaves.  I think there are like 5/18 of us in my class at Yale.  Again, it doesn't mean you're disadvantaged as an applicant...that's just the way the pool is structured.

t L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2007, 11:52:35 AM »
It's a number of factors (opportunity cost, testing, graduation rates, etc.).  The fact of the matter is that most people who apply to and enter elite graduate and professional schools come from privileged backgrounds.  It doesn't mean you're disadvantaged if you're poor or whatever; there are just not that many poor people applying.  As for the children of immigrants, that's another elite education thing.  But I'd rather not get into that.  Just know that if you go to one of these schools, most of your future black classmates won't be descendants of American slaves.  I think there are like 5/18 of us in my class at Yale.  Again, it doesn't mean you're disadvantaged as an applicant...that's just the way the pool is structured.

Wow, man.  You are always so informative.  Thanks.
Michigan 2L

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2007, 12:56:34 PM »
H is pretty diverse. It has a big class and plenty of black people. As far as other races, asians are well represented but not a lot of latinos.

Many of the blk ppl are children of immigrants, or immigrants themselves or biracial.
I think the biggest thing is that most of the kids are sons and daughters of privilege meaning they are disproportionately higher on the socioeconomic scale than the population at large.

this is how it is at CLS too
Columbia 3L

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2007, 01:22:27 AM »
Lol I was just messing with you.  I don't even go to Harvard.  If House Boy or Lacoste read this, they can probably answer your questions.  I think they're the only Harvardlings around lately.  That said, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I can't believe you forgot Nat, especially after seeing bakongo's 'tar!  And though she's in a different program, I'm sure blk would have things to say too. :)
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

GoldenAfro

• Sr. Citizen
  • Like It's Golden
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2007, 02:24:59 AM »
Yeah, good point... where is Nat? And OSA for that matter...
I'm taking my freedom... Pulling it off the shelf... Putting it on my chain... Wearing it 'round my neck... I'm taking my freedom... Putting it in my car... Wherever I choose to go... It will take me far