29 (15.2%)
unsure I'll be attending
 42 (22%)
a current student
 19 (9.9%)
just checking the tally
 75 (39.3%)

Total Members Voted: 191

Author Topic: Michigan Class of 2011: where you should be  (Read 232719 times)

annarborbound

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Michigan Class of 2011: where you should be
« Reply #2550 on: July 21, 2008, 05:45:31 PM »
Thank you!

Bouzie

• Sr. Citizen
  • yummy
    • View Profile
    • Buy This
« Reply #2551 on: July 21, 2008, 08:53:53 PM »
Hi everybody!

I just got off the waitlist at Michigan and am planning to join you in Ann Arbor this fall. I'm very excited but feeling a bit overwhelmed by the logistics. I would really appreciate help with these two issues:

1) I'm visiting Ann Arbor next week trying to look for a place to live. My preference is to live in either a 1 bedroom converted house type of situation or a group house (but I think that might be impossible to do at this point in the year). I'm not too interested in living in complexes. What part of town do most law students live? I'm not fresh out of college so I'd prefer to live in an area that wasn't innundated with undergrads. Also, I don't have my financial aid figured out yet due to the last minute nature of the situation, so I'm also wondering what most people spend on housing per month. What would be reasonable? Any thoughts would be hugely appreciated!

2) I'm also wondering what you all are doing for health insurance. Did Michigan mail you a health insurance information or a health form you needed to fill out prior to the start of classes?

Thanks everybody!!

Hey.  Consensus is that the plan offered through UM sucks. Its 2300 a year and doesn't cover all that much.  I just recently switched to a plan through BCBS Michigan that only costs about 600/year and also doesn't cover much.  I'm MUCH happier with this plan than Michigan's (Chickering)  I know a bunch of other people also either went with BCBS Michigan from the beginning or switched to it after last year.

Good luck and welcome!
1L

"I feel really bad for you. I mean, you don't know anything."

hollowman988

• Sr. Citizen
  • I took her home after midnight...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: July 21, 2008, 09:24:04 PM »
Hi everybody!

I just got off the waitlist at Michigan and am planning to join you in Ann Arbor this fall. I'm very excited but feeling a bit overwhelmed by the logistics. I would really appreciate help with these two issues:

1) I'm visiting Ann Arbor next week trying to look for a place to live. My preference is to live in either a 1 bedroom converted house type of situation or a group house (but I think that might be impossible to do at this point in the year). I'm not too interested in living in complexes. What part of town do most law students live? I'm not fresh out of college so I'd prefer to live in an area that wasn't innundated with undergrads. Also, I don't have my financial aid figured out yet due to the last minute nature of the situation, so I'm also wondering what most people spend on housing per month. What would be reasonable? Any thoughts would be hugely appreciated!

2) I'm also wondering what you all are doing for health insurance. Did Michigan mail you a health insurance information or a health form you needed to fill out prior to the start of classes?

Thanks everybody!!

Hey.  Consensus is that the plan offered through UM sucks. Its 2300 a year and doesn't cover all that much.  I just recently switched to a plan through BCBS Michigan that only costs about 600/year and also doesn't cover much.  I'm MUCH happier with this plan than Michigan's (Chickering)  I know a bunch of other people also either went with BCBS Michigan from the beginning or switched to it after last year.

Good luck and welcome!

Bouzie, which BCBS plan is this?
The Victors:
Music to make love to your old lady by?

Bouzie

• Sr. Citizen
  • yummy
    • View Profile
    • Buy This
« Reply #2553 on: July 21, 2008, 10:32:40 PM »
Hi everybody!

Thanks everybody!!

Good luck and welcome!

Hollow, its called "young adult blue."  Yeah, I'm almost 26 but whatev...

Here's a link  http://www.bcbsm.com/myblue/myblue_home.shtml#tab1d
1L

"I feel really bad for you. I mean, you don't know anything."

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: July 22, 2008, 04:06:48 AM »
I did a lot of research on plans and probably would not have gone with UM's Chickering plan if I had been a guy, but because Chickering includes maternity (which is normally an additional coverage you have to purchase on other individual health insurance plans), I think it's a good deal for women.  Accidentally getting pregnant and not having maternity coverage would really suck.

Anyway, welcome!
Michigan Law Class of 2010

annarborbound

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2555 on: July 23, 2008, 12:04:54 PM »
Thanks to all of you for the help. I checked out the BCBS plan and noticed that you have to be a Michigan resident, which I'm not,  now I'm going to go investigate that. Thanks again!

hollowman988

• Sr. Citizen
  • I took her home after midnight...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: July 23, 2008, 12:21:01 PM »
Hi everybody!

Thanks everybody!!

Good luck and welcome!

Hollow, its called "young adult blue."  Yeah, I'm almost 26 but whatev...

Here's a link  http://www.bcbsm.com/myblue/myblue_home.shtml#tab1d

Thanks! I've got catastrophic 10000 deductible insurance through another provider, so I'm thinking about just rolling the dice and not getting a basic plan.  But as far as crappy young person health insurance goes, this is definitely preferable to the Chickering/Aetna plan.
The Victors:
Music to make love to your old lady by?

The Poster

• LSD Obsessed
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dontreallyknowmuch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: July 24, 2008, 09:10:12 PM »
fwiw im still uninsured and doing just fine. don't run over me with your car and i'll be good.
quote Stanley J. Watson III
you are doomed in the fated sense, but that's completely irrelevant because that's only from the viewpoint of someone who is not constrained by time. since you are temporal, for all intents and purposes you have the power to change your future

Gengiswump

• Sr. Citizen
  • "she's a tough mfer, but she knows how to party"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: July 25, 2008, 02:55:50 PM »
OMG, please no one else do this.

::hits duck with car::

::teaches lesson about the value of insurance::
Quote from: tj.
Write a PS on it, fuckstick.

Quote from: Miss P
Sometimes all you've got is a wacky hi-jink.

Quote from: Miss P
This is truly the ultimate in toolish douchebaggery.

Res nonnumquam ipsa loquitur, sed aliter aeternaliter queritur.

The Poster

• LSD Obsessed
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dontreallyknowmuch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: July 25, 2008, 06:05:13 PM »
OMG, please no one else do this.

::hits duck with car::

::teaches lesson about the value of insurance::

I'll be keeping my eye out now.
quote Stanley J. Watson III
you are doomed in the fated sense, but that's completely irrelevant because that's only from the viewpoint of someone who is not constrained by time. since you are temporal, for all intents and purposes you have the power to change your future