29 (15.2%)
unsure I'll be attending
 42 (22%)
a current student
 19 (9.9%)
just checking the tally
 75 (39.3%)

Total Members Voted: 191

Author Topic: Michigan Class of 2011: where you should be  (Read 231144 times)

Pearl

• Sr. Citizen
  • I AM THE LAW
    • View Profile
Re: Michigan Class of 2011: where you should be
« Reply #2540 on: July 19, 2008, 11:42:03 AM »
I miss Bouzie's appetizer spreads.

Bouzie

• Sr. Citizen
  • yummy
    • View Profile
    • Buy This
« Reply #2541 on: July 19, 2008, 11:54:45 AM »
My god, OCI research is fun!

From the Vault guide:

"The firmís on-campus recruiting roster is fairly standard, with emphasis on superstar law schools like Harvard, Columbia, NYU, Stanford, Michigan and Penn. Sonnenscheinís Chicago office also looks at regional powers such as University of Chicago and Northwestern."

I laughed.

That's bc you're a "superstar."

Also, does anyone have a link to charts showing bonuses at various firms?   I'm thinking ATL or Infirmation must have something but I can't find anything.     

I think that was the last time I 'cooked.'  Yup, dumping some chips in a bowl and cutting up some carrots definitely counts as cooking.

Fly + Pearl-  I miss you tooooooooooooo.

You greedy bastard!

P.S. I quite like how your picture is still (or is back to) your appetizer spread from early last fall.
1L

"I feel really bad for you. I mean, you don't know anything."

The Poster

• LSD Obsessed
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dontreallyknowmuch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: July 19, 2008, 07:49:28 PM »
My god, OCI research is fun!

From the Vault guide:

"The firmís on-campus recruiting roster is fairly standard, with emphasis on superstar law schools like Harvard, Columbia, NYU, Stanford, Michigan and Penn. Sonnenscheinís Chicago office also looks at regional powers such as University of Chicago and Northwestern."

I laughed.

That's bc you're a "superstar."

Also, does anyone have a link to charts showing bonuses at various firms? I'm thinking ATL or Infirmation must have something but I can't find anything.

At least we don't go to a "regional" school like Chicago.
quote Stanley J. Watson III
you are doomed in the fated sense, but that's completely irrelevant because that's only from the viewpoint of someone who is not constrained by time. since you are temporal, for all intents and purposes you have the power to change your future

Bouzie

• Sr. Citizen
  • yummy
    • View Profile
    • Buy This
« Reply #2543 on: July 20, 2008, 09:09:05 PM »
btw

the email contact for O'Melveny's LA office is sfattyresumes@omm.com .... just thought you'd like to know.
1L

"I feel really bad for you. I mean, you don't know anything."

The Poster

• LSD Obsessed
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dontreallyknowmuch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: July 20, 2008, 10:41:26 PM »
btw

the email contact for O'Melveny's LA office is sfattyresumes@omm.com .... just thought you'd like to know.

Nice to know I'm not missing anything interesting by bowing out of the firm process!
quote Stanley J. Watson III
you are doomed in the fated sense, but that's completely irrelevant because that's only from the viewpoint of someone who is not constrained by time. since you are temporal, for all intents and purposes you have the power to change your future

hollowman988

• Sr. Citizen
  • I took her home after midnight...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: July 20, 2008, 11:22:00 PM »
btw

hahahaha. that's effing amazing.
The Victors:
Music to make love to your old lady by?

annarborbound

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2546 on: July 21, 2008, 03:08:54 PM »
Hi everybody!

I just got off the waitlist at Michigan and am planning to join you in Ann Arbor this fall. I'm very excited but feeling a bit overwhelmed by the logistics. I would really appreciate help with these two issues:

1) I'm visiting Ann Arbor next week trying to look for a place to live. My preference is to live in either a 1 bedroom converted house type of situation or a group house (but I think that might be impossible to do at this point in the year). I'm not too interested in living in complexes. What part of town do most law students live? I'm not fresh out of college so I'd prefer to live in an area that wasn't innundated with undergrads. Also, I don't have my financial aid figured out yet due to the last minute nature of the situation, so I'm also wondering what most people spend on housing per month. What would be reasonable? Any thoughts would be hugely appreciated!

2) I'm also wondering what you all are doing for health insurance. Did Michigan mail you a health insurance information or a health form you needed to fill out prior to the start of classes?

Thanks everybody!!

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #2547 on: July 21, 2008, 04:34:56 PM »
Hi everybody!

I just got off the waitlist at Michigan and am planning to join you in Ann Arbor this fall. I'm very excited but feeling a bit overwhelmed by the logistics. I would really appreciate help with these two issues:

1) I'm visiting Ann Arbor next week trying to look for a place to live. My preference is to live in either a 1 bedroom converted house type of situation or a group house (but I think that might be impossible to do at this point in the year). I'm not too interested in living in complexes. What part of town do most law students live? I'm not fresh out of college so I'd prefer to live in an area that wasn't innundated with undergrads. Also, I don't have my financial aid figured out yet due to the last minute nature of the situation, so I'm also wondering what most people spend on housing per month. What would be reasonable? Any thoughts would be hugely appreciated!

2) I'm also wondering what you all are doing for health insurance. Did Michigan mail you a health insurance information or a health form you needed to fill out prior to the start of classes?

Thanks everybody!!

First thing I need to know is, are you single or married?  Any kids?  I am paying for Blue Cross for me and my wife, and it's just under $500.  That's much cheaper than the school plan, but it's a PPO.  If I was single, I might have gone with the school plan.  It just wasn't affordable for the two of us.

It seems that people are living in all areas of the city (and I'm living an hour away, so if you want to be in MY neighborhood...).  Others can address the housing situation much better than I, but I'm sure there will still be options available. 

Good luck, and we'll see you in a month! 

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

annarborbound

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2548 on: July 21, 2008, 04:47:22 PM »
Thank you! I'm single. Do you know how I would find out about the plan? It wasn't in the admissions packet I received. Did Michigan mail you these health insurance materials, or is it somewhere on the website that I somehow missed?

Oh, one more thing -- does anybody know how to find out the schedule for next year (winter break/spring break/summer start)? When I looked at the calendar page (http://cgi2.www.law.umich.edu/lawevents/calendar.aspx) I could only find information relating to events taking place at school and therefore required scheduling space, and not any information about breaks and holidays.

Thanks again!

edaze

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile