29 (15.2%)
unsure I'll be attending
 42 (22%)
a current student
 19 (9.9%)
just checking the tally
 75 (39.3%)

Total Members Voted: 191

Author Topic: Michigan Class of 2011: where you should be  (Read 234276 times)

Gengiswump

• Sr. Citizen
  • "she's a tough mfer, but she knows how to party"
    • View Profile
Re: Michigan Class of 2011: where you should be
« Reply #2530 on: July 17, 2008, 04:49:34 PM »
Oh thank Jeebus.
Quote from: tj.
Write a PS on it, fuckstick.

Quote from: Miss P
Sometimes all you've got is a wacky hi-jink.

This is truly the ultimate in toolish douchebaggery.

Res nonnumquam ipsa loquitur, sed aliter aeternaliter queritur.

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #2531 on: July 17, 2008, 05:32:35 PM »
Hi folks! A quick question- I am taking out a small private loan to help cover some of my expenses. In order to get this loan, I need to send in a copy of my tuition invoice. I don't know exactly if this is something we've already gotten, or will be getting, or what. I have plenty of forms with the tuition amount on them, but it sort of sounds like I need an actual bill or something that proves that I've enrolled and intend to pay tuition. Has anyone else ever needed one of these, and if so, what did you use? Thanks!

Call the FinAid office, they handle all of the coordination with loan providers.

I tried that, but this loan is being disbursed directly to me, rather than through the school, and they said they weren't exactly sure what it was I needed. If it helps, it's a MyRichUncle loan. Has anyone gotten one of these? In order to secure the loan, I need to provide either a "tuition invoice" OR my class schedule, so it seems they're mostly looking for something that proves I'm enrolled/committed to enrolling.

Technically, you aren't allowed to get any loans if they will take you over the budget set by the school, so they won't help you at all if that's what you're trying to do.  If they find out that you got a loan that wasn't certified by the school, they're required to cut your other loans to bring you back down to the budget amount.

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

CanisLupus

• View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: July 17, 2008, 09:21:49 PM »
Hi folks! A quick question- I am taking out a small private loan to help cover some of my expenses. In order to get this loan, I need to send in a copy of my tuition invoice. I don't know exactly if this is something we've already gotten, or will be getting, or what. I have plenty of forms with the tuition amount on them, but it sort of sounds like I need an actual bill or something that proves that I've enrolled and intend to pay tuition. Has anyone else ever needed one of these, and if so, what did you use? Thanks!

Call the FinAid office, they handle all of the coordination with loan providers.

I tried that, but this loan is being disbursed directly to me, rather than through the school, and they said they weren't exactly sure what it was I needed. If it helps, it's a MyRichUncle loan. Has anyone gotten one of these? In order to secure the loan, I need to provide either a "tuition invoice" OR my class schedule, so it seems they're mostly looking for something that proves I'm enrolled/committed to enrolling.

Technically, you aren't allowed to get any loans if they will take you over the budget set by the school, so they won't help you at all if that's what you're trying to do.  If they find out that you got a loan that wasn't certified by the school, they're required to cut your other loans to bring you back down to the budget amount.

Ummm...that's not good. I thought if you took out private loans, it was basically none of their business. I mean, people do do this, right? I wouldn't have any way of affording school if I couldn't take out over the budget to cover moving expenses, having to break my lease, paying off my car, etc. So that sort of sucks.

Anyone else have any insight on this? And here's a question: what if I just turn down all the loans I was planning on taking out through the school, and wrap that amount into my private loan? Then I could take out as much as I needed, right?

I don't get why they'd screw you like this though, they have to know that some people need to take out over the school budget in order to cover certain expenses, even if they wouldn't increase the budget for those expenses.

The Poster

• LSD Obsessed
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dontreallyknowmuch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: July 17, 2008, 09:53:18 PM »

Technically, you aren't allowed to get any loans if they will take you over the budget set by the school, so they won't help you at all if that's what you're trying to do. If they find out that you got a loan that wasn't certified by the school, they're required to cut your other loans to bring you back down to the budget amount.

Ummm...that's not good. I thought if you took out private loans, it was basically none of their business. I mean, people do do this, right? I wouldn't have any way of affording school if I couldn't take out over the budget to cover moving expenses, having to break my lease, paying off my car, etc. So that sort of sucks.

Anyone else have any insight on this? And here's a question: what if I just turn down all the loans I was planning on taking out through the school, and wrap that amount into my private loan? Then I could take out as much as I needed, right?

I don't get why they'd screw you like this though, they have to know that some people need to take out over the school budget in order to cover certain expenses, even if they wouldn't increase the budget for those expenses.

if you take out a private loan that is an educational loan, it IS the school's business. any educational private loan will require communication between the school and the lender and will be limited to your budget minus any other aid you are getting. IF, instead, for some reason, you are taking out a non-educational private loan, say a personal loan, then yes in that case it would have nothing to do with the school and would be none of their business. I have never heard of anyone doing that, but I imagine that it is done by people who need to do it. but yeah if you are dealing just with education loans you are a slave to the school budget. hope that helps.
quote Stanley J. Watson III
you are doomed in the fated sense, but that's completely irrelevant because that's only from the viewpoint of someone who is not constrained by time. since you are temporal, for all intents and purposes you have the power to change your future

Bouzie

• Sr. Citizen
  • yummy
    • View Profile
    • Buy This
« Reply #2534 on: July 18, 2008, 06:13:01 PM »
My god, OCI research is fun!

From the Vault guide:

"The firmís on-campus recruiting roster is fairly standard, with emphasis on superstar law schools like Harvard, Columbia, NYU, Stanford, Michigan and Penn.  Sonnenscheinís Chicago office also looks at regional powers such as University of Chicago and Northwestern."
1L

"I feel really bad for you. I mean, you don't know anything."

Gengiswump

• Sr. Citizen
  • "she's a tough mfer, but she knows how to party"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2535 on: July 18, 2008, 06:15:30 PM »
:D
Quote from: tj.
Write a PS on it, fuckstick.

Sometimes all you've got is a wacky hi-jink.

This is truly the ultimate in toolish douchebaggery.

Res nonnumquam ipsa loquitur, sed aliter aeternaliter queritur.

The Poster

• LSD Obsessed
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dontreallyknowmuch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: July 18, 2008, 07:54:37 PM »

From the Vault guide:

"The firmís on-campus recruiting roster is fairly standard, with emphasis on superstar law schools like Harvard, Columbia, NYU, Stanford, Michigan and Penn. Sonnenscheinís Chicago office also looks at regional powers such as University of Chicago and Northwestern."

I laughed.
quote Stanley J. Watson III
you are doomed in the fated sense, but that's completely irrelevant because that's only from the viewpoint of someone who is not constrained by time. since you are temporal, for all intents and purposes you have the power to change your future

Bouzie

• Sr. Citizen
  • yummy
    • View Profile
    • Buy This
« Reply #2537 on: July 18, 2008, 10:08:34 PM »

From the Vault guide:

"The firmís on-campus recruiting roster is fairly standard, with emphasis on superstar law schools like Harvard, Columbia, NYU, Stanford, Michigan and Penn. Sonnenscheinís Chicago office also looks at regional powers such as University of Chicago and Northwestern."

I laughed.

That's bc you're a "superstar."

Also, does anyone have a link to charts showing bonuses at various firms?   I'm thinking ATL or Infirmation must have something but I can't find anything.     
1L

"I feel really bad for you. I mean, you don't know anything."

hollowman988

• Sr. Citizen
  • I took her home after midnight...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: July 18, 2008, 10:37:18 PM »

From the Vault guide:

I laughed.

That's bc you're a "superstar."

Also, does anyone have a link to charts showing bonuses at various firms?   I'm thinking ATL or Infirmation must have something but I can't find anything.     

You greedy bastard!

P.S. I quite like how your picture is still (or is back to) your appetizer spread from early last fall.
The Victors:
Music to make love to your old lady by?

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: July 19, 2008, 02:14:24 AM »
I miss you guys. :)
Michigan Law Class of 2010