29 (15.2%)
unsure I'll be attending
 42 (22%)
a current student
 19 (9.9%)
just checking the tally
 75 (39.3%)

Total Members Voted: 191

Author Topic: Michigan Class of 2011: where you should be  (Read 228875 times)

The Poster

• LSD Obsessed
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dontreallyknowmuch
    • View Profile
Re: Michigan Class of 2011: where you should be
« Reply #2230 on: May 04, 2008, 05:55:58 PM »
Representing kids with education troubles

Can I ask where? That's an area of interest for me.

Of course! Children's Law Center of Massachusetts.

UHmmm join the facebook group!!! ;)

Been on there for a while.
quote Stanley J. Watson III
you are doomed in the fated sense, but that's completely irrelevant because that's only from the viewpoint of someone who is not constrained by time. since you are temporal, for all intents and purposes you have the power to change your future

smiley

« Reply #2231 on: May 04, 2008, 11:17:17 PM »
indigent criminal defense in east coast city...

i highly recommend MAP - i did it as a 1L and am really glad i did. i have really good friends from outside my big section, which i think is important as a 1L.

as for the working in london as a 2L thing, i have several friends who are going to london this summer. it's a pretty self-selecting pool (so you're interviewing - or competing - against the same people over and over again) so you will probably need to be fairly competitive in terms of grades. the people i know who got jobs at firms with london offices have pretty decent grades.

i am excited to be a 3L (hells yeah, jolie!!!) and to be done with ann arbor until 2009 (i'm going abroad to study in amsterdam in the fall - woohoo!!!)

Bouzie

• Sr. Citizen
  • yummy
    • View Profile
    • Buy This
« Reply #2232 on: May 04, 2008, 11:24:54 PM »

i highly recommend MAP - i did it as a 1L and am really glad i did. i have really good friends from outside my big section, which i think is important as a 1L.

as for the working in london as a 2L thing, i have several friends who are going to london this summer. it's a pretty self-selecting pool (so you're interviewing - or competing - against the same people over and over again) so you will probably need to be fairly competitive in terms of grades. the people i know who got jobs at firms with london offices have pretty decent grades.

i am excited to be a 3L (hells yeah, jolie!!!) and to be done with ann arbor until 2009 (i'm going abroad to study in amsterdam in the fall - woohoo!!!)

YOU TOO!!! :( ---- no one is going to be in AA next semester! :(
1L

"I feel really bad for you. I mean, you don't know anything."

hollowman988

• Sr. Citizen
  • I took her home after midnight...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: May 05, 2008, 12:08:27 AM »

Wait, during orientation do we not hang out with kids who are going to be in other sections from our own?

Maybe I should finally actually read materials....

There are a few things you do in your small LP sections, but IIRC most everything else is done in bigger groups.  And just like undergrad orientation, the important stuff happens at night anyways. 

MAP*/Orientation was an awesome time, and I agree with everybody saying you should show up early if you can, especially if you're living off-campus and can get settled in before orientation starts. 

* I didn't actually attend the events during the day since I knew people and was generally too busy treating my body like a theme park to feel like getting up for stuff, but if you're going in cold it definitely makes sense to sign up for MAP.

ETA: Also, get as drunk as you want but wake up for service day. 
The Victors:
Music to make love to your old lady by?

rtqw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Jim Tressel drinks wine coolers
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2234 on: May 05, 2008, 12:12:10 AM »

Wait, during orientation do we not hang out with kids who are going to be in other sections from our own?

Maybe I should finally actually read materials....

Well, some of orientation is with (part) of your section, including service day, but there are ample opportunities to meet anyone in the 1L class. With that said, MAP is the last time where you meet other students before you all find out what section you're in, and after that, I think many people start gravitating towards others in their section. Personally, I know very few 1Ls outside my section that I didn't meet through either LSD, MAP, or my roommate.
University of Michigan Law School, Class of 2010
LSN

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2235 on: May 05, 2008, 08:56:18 AM »
Once orientation started, those who didn't do MAP definitely seemed confused as to how those of us who did knew so many people.

Anyway, beyond the social aspect, I think the MAP academic activities (oral argument and mock class) are more valuable than the ones during orientation.  I thought the day we actually did diversity activities was lame, though, which is sad considering the original purpose of the program.  I think I was looking for a more meaningful experience than you can get through carefully coordinated activities.
Michigan Law Class of 2010

t L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: May 05, 2008, 10:42:05 AM »
the people i know who got jobs at firms with london offices have pretty decent grades.

Can you define decent grades?  Top half? 1/3? 1/4? 10%?
Michigan 2L

Gengiswump

• Sr. Citizen
  • "she's a tough mfer, but she knows how to party"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: May 05, 2008, 11:05:18 AM »
Public Interest.

Sucks about Shapiro.
Quote from: tj.
Write a PS on it, fuckstick.

Quote from: Miss P
Sometimes all you've got is a wacky hi-jink.

Quote from: Miss P
This is truly the ultimate in toolish douchebaggery.

Res nonnumquam ipsa loquitur, sed aliter aeternaliter queritur.

Mickey Ward

• Sr. Citizen
  • A kid from Lowell rises to the bell...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: May 05, 2008, 11:33:55 AM »
Feds in DC this summer.

I didn't get to do MAP, due to scheduling conflicts, but I regret missing it. You should do it if you can.

littlemisssunshine

• View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: May 05, 2008, 11:55:55 AM »
Firm in Michigan.

I loved MAP! It's fun knowing so many people so fast.
I am a UMich Law Student..but never a Wolverine :)