29 (15.2%)
unsure I'll be attending
 42 (22%)
a current student
 19 (9.9%)
just checking the tally
 75 (39.3%)

Total Members Voted: 191

Author Topic: Michigan Class of 2011: where you should be  (Read 231151 times)

hollowman988

• Sr. Citizen
  • I took her home after midnight...
    • View Profile
Re: Michigan Class of 2011: where you should be
« Reply #1420 on: February 25, 2008, 10:45:17 PM »
I was looking at Penn's Events Calendar, and they have a RIDICULOUS amount of 1L firm receptions.  Literally every night.  Do you guys not get these receptions since you're in AA?

There have been a few, but nothing like what happens at Penn.  Can't say I particularly care, although I guess more free stuff would be better than less.
The Victors:
Music to make love to your old lady by?

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #1421 on: February 25, 2008, 11:10:40 PM »
Why didn't I apply to Penn :-(
_______
.|E|R|S.

hollowman988

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: February 25, 2008, 11:13:44 PM »

The abundant law firm receptions at Penn are what is making you regret your decision not to apply?

The Victors:

gladiator

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Politics Blog
« Reply #1423 on: February 25, 2008, 11:18:36 PM »

The abundant law firm receptions at Penn are what is making you regret your decision not to apply?

Their high crime rate drove me to apply; imagine all the potential clients!

futurelawstudent2011

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: February 25, 2008, 11:36:33 PM »
Hey all, my first post in this forum since my acceptance to Michigan (*aaah!*).  I haven't yet received anything about the ASW's, short of the dates.  I think an Ann Arbor April trip sounds lovely...Who-all is planning to live in Lawyer's Club?  A friend of mine is a 3L and still lives there (she loves the social atmosphere and the fall-out-of-bed distance to class), but I think I've had my fill of dorm life as I've been out of university for 4 years. It also seems like spending finals cooped up with a bunch of law students is the surest path to insanity.  The kicker is being on a meal plan again.  No kitchen = no fun for Yak Herder.

Anyone have a good counter-argument?

I will be at the ASW in April, and looking forward to it!!

As far as Lawyers Club, since my husband will be joining me, this won't be an option for me :)

I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on commuting from any of the newer complexes that look to be a few miles away from campus... do ppl generally drive, or take the bus (I think the city bus system is free to UofM students)?
Accepted: Michigan, Northwestern, GULC, UCLA, Vanderbilt, WUSTL ($$$$), Boston University, Boston College ($$$), U Washington, William & Mary ($$), UC Hastings, Temple ($$$$) :)

Deferred: Harvard

Boo!: U Chicago, Berkeley, Yale

Pending: Everything else

gladiator

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Politics Blog
« Reply #1425 on: February 25, 2008, 11:44:48 PM »

Their high crime rate drove me to apply; imagine all the potential clients!

Don't make me come in here and defend my school!

I see nothing but the utmost adoration for Penn in here.

ipso facto

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yeah!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1426 on: February 26, 2008, 02:20:11 AM »
Hey all, my first post in this forum since my acceptance to Michigan (*aaah!*).  I haven't yet received anything about the ASW's, short of the dates.  I think an Ann Arbor April trip sounds lovely...Who-all is planning to live in Lawyer's Club?  A friend of mine is a 3L and still lives there (she loves the social atmosphere and the fall-out-of-bed distance to class), but I think I've had my fill of dorm life as I've been out of university for 4 years. It also seems like spending finals cooped up with a bunch of law students is the surest path to insanity.  The kicker is being on a meal plan again.  No kitchen = no fun for Yak Herder.

Anyone have a good counter-argument?

I will be at the ASW in April, and looking forward to it!!

As far as Lawyers Club, since my husband will be joining me, this won't be an option for me :)

I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on commuting from any of the newer complexes that look to be a few miles away from campus... do ppl generally drive, or take the bus (I think the city bus system is free to UofM students)?

I know a few people who live out a good ways. My best recommendation is to check the bus schedule and make sure a route goes by at a favorable time for you. No sense in living somewhere that you have to drive to the commuter parking lot, park, and then take a bus into campus.Driving is tough, you can get a parking pass, and there are a few parking lots within a few blocks of the LS, but I'm not sure how early they fill up.

Living farther away is a blessing and a curse. People enjoy the cheaper rent, but it makes it more difficult to go home for a cat nap when your civ pro class gets cancelled and makes it A LOT harder to go out and get trashed with your classmates since you can't just stumble home:P

I was talking to preachy preach about kissy kiss...

Michigan Law 2010

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: February 26, 2008, 08:18:14 AM »
I have a couple friends who live driving distance away, and they say there's a commuter lot that is walking distance away and is not full if you have early classes like we do.  I live driving distance away, but Mr. Flyaway normally drops me off and picks me up, or on a really short day I park at a pay parking deck for 80 cents per hour.

We've had some 1L receptions already, and we just got an invite for a Skadden one.  They usually send Michigan alums out here to Ann Arbor to meet with us.  OCS said that people were complaining about the frequency of 1L receptions (because 1Ls are SO busy this semester) in previous years, so instead they had like 8 firms do a single big reception at the beginning of the semester.
Michigan Law Class of 2010

hollowman988

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: February 26, 2008, 09:56:10 AM »
Where do you eat around the campus?  The choices are limited.

Ok.
The Victors:

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #1429 on: February 26, 2008, 11:32:50 AM »
Would any of you Michigan students mind giving me an idea of what my 1L employment might look like? How easily, if at all, can Michigan students get a paying 1L job and how good is the pay? I'm worried about $$ and would love to be able to save up a couple thousand during the summer for my 2nd year.
_______
.|E|R|S.