29 (15.2%)
unsure I'll be attending
 42 (22%)
a current student
 19 (9.9%)
just checking the tally
 75 (39.3%)

Total Members Voted: 191

Author Topic: Michigan Class of 2011: where you should be  (Read 233322 times)

Unsubtle Michigan Troll

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Michigan Class of 2011: where you should be
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2007, 12:06:39 AM »
Hurrah! Status checker went to "decision" today, so I think I'm in as a summer starter..unless they are now rejecting ED candidates right off.  I am very interested in the Phid House, which I understand to be some sort of nefarious skull-and-bones-type society.

I don't know anything about Phid House, except that it's a secret organization and probably responsible for global warming, mass murders, and kitten deaths.  If you're into that, I would totally recommend it.

;)

Any particular reason why you would suggest living off-campus?

You're forced to pay for food if you live in the LC.  You can find places for significantly cheaper that will allow some of the money you're forced to spend on food at the LC to be spent on booze instead.  Living off campus is pure efficiency, people.

----------------------------------------------------

I am incredibly happy to see that my little thread already has 3x as many posts as the HLS 2011 thread, even though that one was started three days ago.  Simple pleasures, simple delights!

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2007, 12:10:37 AM »

I am incredibly happy to see that my little thread already has 3x as many posts as the HLS 2011 thread, even though that one was started three days ago.  Simple pleasures, simple delights!

Well, are you really surprised?  We are all really excited to be going to a great school.  They're just going to Harvard.  (How's that for unsubtle?)

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

deathcabfan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2007, 12:15:32 AM »
Hurrah! Status checker went to "decision" today, so I think I'm in as a summer starter..unless they are now rejecting ED candidates right off.  I am very interested in the Phid House, which I understand to be some sort of nefarious skull-and-bones-type society.

I don't know anything about Phid House, except that it's a secret organization and probably responsible for global warming, mass murders, and kitten deaths.  If you're into that, I would totally recommend it.

;)

Any particular reason why you would suggest living off-campus?

You're forced to pay for food if you live in the LC.  You can find places for significantly cheaper that will allow some of the money you're forced to spend on food at the LC to be spent on booze instead.  Living off campus is pure efficiency, people.

----------------------------------------------------

Well compared to the Mich 2010 thread we still have some work to do.  I guess we have a few months to work on it though...

hollowman988

• Sr. Citizen
  • I took her home after midnight...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2007, 12:16:09 AM »
Also, a lot of people will talk up the social aspects of the lawyer's club.  From what I can tell that's mostly a giant load as well; unless you're pathologically anti-social, there will be no shortage of opportunities to hang out with people. 
The Victors:
Music to make love to your old lady by?

GCoop.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2007, 12:19:04 AM »
Yeah, the only thing going for the LC is the location.

I woke up at 8:39 for an 8:45 class this morning, jumped in the car, parked out front, went to class (missed 2 minutes maybe), and then drove home to shower after class was over.  That's about as good as you could do in the LC and I live 15 minutes away.

Plenty of good, affordable housing in AA for cheap.  We found our place in March or April, no problem, and besides our sourpus neighbor, it's worked out great.

bumblebeechewna

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2007, 12:32:24 AM »
Pikey, do you feel isolated because you are not on campus and living alone? For undergrad, I have never lived on campus at a very residential type college and oftentimes I felt like school was more of a job
More likely than not, someone will have to point me in the right direction (like a loser) if I don't end up at the Lawyer's Club.
I'm a little worried about housing because I graduate in Mid-May and won't be able to come up until the 22ndish or later (is that abnormal?). As neurosis sets in...how much is nice housing for a 1bd/bath...and do people ride mopeds up there? I visited a friend in Wisc and it was kinda common and convenient...sorry for the bombardment :-[ and thanks a bunch!

hollowman988

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2007, 12:41:04 AM »
The brochure for the LC they sent sounded really negative.

We can NOT accomodate vegan diets.
There is NO air conditioning.
NO space heaters, electric blankets, or other heating elements are allowed.

Besides the fact that I don't do dorms (anymore), the last one sealed it for me.  It averages in the 40's here most of the winter and I still need an electric blanket...I could never do a Michigan winter without mine!   :o

Well, lots of places won't have air conditioning off campus either.  And it was ridiculously hot here in the beginning of the year. I had to run to our first orientation event (left something at home and was late), and it was not a pretty scene.  Thankfully, I already had friends or it could have been dicey. 

Also, it's just like college. Nobody's going to stop you from bringing in an electric blanket or a hot pot, just don't burn the place down (speaking of, how does one sleep using an electric blanket? do you turn it off as you're getting drowsy? is it on all night long?).  PSA: I'd recommend eating an extra Blimpy burger every week instead of risking immolation by electric blanket.

The Victors:

hollowman988

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2007, 12:48:14 AM »
...and besides our sourpus neighbor, it's worked out great.

That record carries bragging rights with it, at least...

Best. 20-minute Party. Ever.
The Victors:

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2007, 12:53:44 AM »
nooooo... Blimpy makes the greasiest most disgustingly awesome burgers you can find in A2.   :)

Blimpie =/= Blimpy

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

GCoop.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2007, 01:00:27 AM »
Two reasons, each on their own sufficient, for coming to Michigan:

Crazy Jim's Blimpy Burger
Although not really a restaurant, no review on food in Ann Arbor would be complete without mentioning Blimpy's. Offering the greasiest and greatest burgers in Ann Arbor, this hamburger stand has a unique method of preparing its burger. Rather than making one large patty, Blimpy's makes several patties per burger.

When ordering, customers specify how many patties, beginning with double up to the quint burger. Crazy Jim's slogan is "Cheaper than food," and it is pretty cheap - five bucks will buy a triple burger, fries and a drink. But be careful - patrons have said that while eating, it is possible to feel your arteries tightening, and unofficial studies suggest that going more than once a month just could be detrimental to good health.

(from Michigan Daily)

Le Dog on Liberty.  Soup stand with dogs, polish & four - seven fresh and delicious soups that change every day.