29 (15.2%)
unsure I'll be attending
 42 (22%)
a current student
 19 (9.9%)
just checking the tally
 75 (39.3%)

Total Members Voted: 191

Author Topic: Michigan Class of 2011: where you should be  (Read 228870 times)

hollowman988

• Sr. Citizen
  • I took her home after midnight...
    • View Profile
Re: Michigan Class of 2011: where you should be
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2007, 01:00:52 AM »
The brochure for the LC they sent sounded really negative.

We can NOT accomodate vegan diets.
There is NO air conditioning.
NO space heaters, electric blankets, or other heating elements are allowed.

Besides the fact that I don't do dorms (anymore), the last one sealed it for me.  It averages in the 40's here most of the winter and I still need an electric blanket...I could never do a Michigan winter without mine!   :o

Well, lots of places won't have air conditioning off campus either.  And it was ridiculously hot here in the beginning of the year. I had to run to our first orientation event (left something at home and was late), and it was not a pretty scene.  Thankfully, I already had friends or it could have been dicey. 

Also, it's just like college. Nobody's going to stop you from bringing in an electric blanket or a hot pot, just don't burn the place down (speaking of, how does one sleep using an electric blanket? do you turn it off as you're getting drowsy? is it on all night long?).  PSA: I'd recommend eating an extra Blimpy burger every week instead of risking immolation by electric blanket.

I kind of figured a lot of places up there wouldn't have AC.  It was just kind of funny how the brochure was worded, almost as if they were trying to scare people away (or at least make sure they knew what they were getting into, I guess that's not so bad)...

I thought Blimpie made sandwiches?  Anyways, I would just turn on the heat, but my roommate prefers to keep our apartment similar to the refrigerated section at the grocery store.  Yet she wouldn't apply to Michigan because it was too cold... ???

I'm honestly curious about the electric blanket though. How are they used? Is it on all night? Is it like the heated seats in my car that still make me feel as if I've got to go to the bathroom and/or have already gone to the bathroom?  My dad nearly got killed by an arsonist in college, so even thinking about buying a space heater or electric blanket was punishable by death.  Needless to say, I smoked my first cigarillo on the porch.
The Victors:
Music to make love to your old lady by?

GCoop.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2007, 01:14:44 AM »
Needless to say, I smoked my first cigarillo on the porch.

The butt's still there.

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2007, 03:46:08 AM »
Pikey, do you feel isolated because you are not on campus and living alone? For undergrad, I have never lived on campus at a very residential type college and oftentimes I felt like school was more of a job
More likely than not, someone will have to point me in the right direction (like a loser) if I don't end up at the Lawyer's Club.
I'm a little worried about housing because I graduate in Mid-May and won't be able to come up until the 22ndish or later (is that abnormal?). As neurosis sets in...how much is nice housing for a 1bd/bath...and do people ride mopeds up there? I visited a friend in Wisc and it was kinda common and convenient...sorry for the bombardment :-[ and thanks a bunch!

For the most part no.  You'll make friends in the LC and off campus, so you'll hang out whereever.  Sometimes I wish I had a roomie, because I get into an antisocial mood where I don't want to make any effort.  Other times I'm glad I don't have a roomie because of my anti-social mood!  Plus, the really awesome people were already living together by the time I got my act together (ie Pearl and company).  Honestly, you won't have a problem making friends, especially if you come to preview weekend and MAP (YOU NEED TO COME TO BOTH!!!).  If you're really worried, there are a few apartment complexes that a lot of law students live in, so you'd always have people nearby.  None of my friends live especially near me (Kerrytown), so I've gotten a little less social now that it's cold (and I don't have a car)!  The bus system is pretty good (and free), so a car is definitely not required.

You'll be fine for housing.  I came to AA around the same time, late May, and found a great place.  Unless you're doing an apartment complex, you probably want to visit first, because housing quality can vary.  Some of the stuff closest to the law school can be pretty loud and/or bad because of proximity to the frats (but you can ask us about that later).  I've definitely seen people with mopeds around town.  A couple of us considered it, but none of us on here ended up getting one.  But it's definitely an option.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

rsr28

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2007, 07:34:06 AM »

Besides the fact that I don't do dorms (anymore), the last one sealed it for me.  It averages in the 40's here most of the winter and I still need an electric blanket...I could never do a Michigan winter without mine!   :o

Well, lots of places won't have air conditioning off campus either.  And it was ridiculously hot here in the beginning of the year. I had to run to our first orientation event (left something at home and was late), and it was not a pretty scene.  Thankfully, I already had friends or it could have been dicey. 

Also, it's just like college. Nobody's going to stop you from bringing in an electric blanket or a hot pot, just don't burn the place down (speaking of, how does one sleep using an electric blanket? do you turn it off as you're getting drowsy? is it on all night long?).  PSA: I'd recommend eating an extra Blimpy burger every week instead of risking immolation by electric blanket.

Also might want to read up some of the possible carcinogenic effects of EMF's relating to electric blankets.  :P

bumblebeechewna

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2007, 08:44:59 AM »
For the most part no.  You'll make friends in the LC and off campus, so you'll hang out whereever.  Sometimes I wish I had a roomie, because I get into an antisocial mood where I don't want to make any effort.  Other times I'm glad I don't have a roomie because of my anti-social mood!  Plus, the really awesome people were already living together by the time I got my act together (ie Pearl and company).  Honestly, you won't have a problem making friends, especially if you come to preview weekend and MAP (YOU NEED TO COME TO BOTH!!!).  If you're really worried, there are a few apartment complexes that a lot of law students live in, so you'd always have people nearby.  None of my friends live especially near me (Kerrytown), so I've gotten a little less social now that it's cold (and I don't have a car)!  The bus system is pretty good (and free), so a car is definitely not required.

You'll be fine for housing.  I came to AA around the same time, late May, and found a great place.  Unless you're doing an apartment complex, you probably want to visit first, because housing quality can vary.  Some of the stuff closest to the law school can be pretty loud and/or bad because of proximity to the frats (but you can ask us about that later).  I've definitely seen people with mopeds around town.  A couple of us considered it, but none of us on here ended up getting one.  But it's definitely an option.

Thanks! :)...my fears have been quelled

Pearl

• Sr. Citizen
  • I AM THE LAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2007, 09:54:00 AM »
Yeah don't live in the LC - I know some people love it but I'm glad I didn't live there... and the only reason I eat in the D hall is b/c my SO lives in the LC... it's nice once a week or so but I can't imagine eating there twice a day and having to eat at specific times... what if you're not hungry for dinner until 7:30? that happens sometimes when you pig out on free pizza at lunchtime speakers/panels...

Find your roomies on LSD!

Speaking of which, if a group of 2 or 3 of you summer starters want to sub-lease our kick ass house next summer, we should talk at some point.

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2007, 11:31:37 AM »
That's true btw, there is SO much free lunch here it's ridiculous.  In a good way.  The best is Zingerman's bagged lunches, but those are rare.  Most common is Cottage Inn pizza, but I'm not complaining!
Michigan Law Class of 2010

deathcabfan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2007, 11:55:54 AM »
Facebook group for those of you who are interested...

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2401721278

deathcabfan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2007, 12:31:52 PM »
That's true btw, there is SO much free lunch here it's ridiculous.  In a good way.  The best is Zingerman's bagged lunches, but those are rare.  Most common is Cottage Inn pizza, but I'm not complaining!

I think I'm most excited for Zingerman's, is that bad?

Shark Week

• Sr. Citizen
  • officially a Michigan troll now
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2007, 01:41:44 PM »
Anybody get scholarship/financial aid stuff yet, or does that come later?
Michigan '11