29 (15.2%)
unsure I'll be attending
 42 (22%)
a current student
 19 (9.9%)
just checking the tally
 75 (39.3%)

Total Members Voted: 191

Author Topic: Michigan Class of 2011: where you should be  (Read 231213 times)

hollowman988

• Sr. Citizen
  • I took her home after midnight...
    • View Profile
Re: Michigan Class of 2011: where you should be
« Reply #120 on: December 06, 2007, 04:12:04 PM »
sorry if i missed it, but does anyone know the deal with phid house? has it generally gotten good or bad reviews from those who live there?

the deal is it's near the law school and insanely cheap.  you have a fair amount of common space, shared bathrooms, shared fridge/freezer, etc.  it's not a co-op, but you do have a rotating chore that you have to do.  some of them involve very little work, some involve a bit more.  i would never live there since i really need my own kitchen and don't really like sharing all my space with that many people (~25 if i remember correctly), but i think it's a way better option than the law quad.  if you have any specific questions, i'd be happy to answer them (a close friend of mine lives there and i've hung around a fair amount), or i can put you in touch with her if you'd like.  obviously, it's a shared house, so it's not guaranteed to be as quiet as a single in the quad, but the only noise-related issues i've heard of were from a girl whose room was below the stairs and she just couldn't deal with the traffic.  so she moved out.  everyone else i know over there is staying next year and you have the potential for a pretty serious room upgrade your second year.
The Victors:
Music to make love to your old lady by?

michigander

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 07, 2007, 03:05:44 PM »
thanks so much! i'll contact you later in the cycle when i have a better idea if i'll be attending...

ipso facto

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yeah!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #122 on: December 07, 2007, 08:15:30 PM »
I know of at least a few people who commute in from Detroit. Most are orthodox jews who have families and whatnot. They don't seem to mind too much.

Will anyone be commutting from Detroit?  No, I'm not joking.

I wouldn't recommend it.  I know a 1L who lives in Canton, and even that is relatively far.

You could have told me that three years ago when I had no law school plans and bought a house on the east side ;)

I'm looking for a potential commuting partner.  My alternative plan is to rent an apartment with someone and pay my half (or third or whatever) of the rent even though I wont be staying there all the time.  Should work out to be a good deal for the co-lessee(s). 
I was talking to preachy preach about kissy kiss...

Michigan Law 2010

Shark Week

• Sr. Citizen
  • officially a Michigan troll now
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 08, 2007, 03:35:23 PM »
I got a call yesterday the Michigan admissions office that assuaged basically all of my worries about Michigan. I have to say Michigan does a better job than anyone in the whole wooing process, and I think I'm basically set on Michigan now unless Northwestern rocks my world.
Michigan '11

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 08, 2007, 03:46:33 PM »
I got a call yesterday the Michigan admissions office that assuaged basically all of my worries about Michigan. I have to say Michigan does a better job than anyone in the whole wooing process, and I think I'm basically set on Michigan now unless Northwestern rocks my world.

Michigan definitely beats Northwestern!

/shameless plug
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

Dystopian Fiction

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #125 on: December 08, 2007, 10:08:22 PM »

What worries did you have, Shark Week? I'm just curious.

Shark Week

• Sr. Citizen
  • officially a Michigan troll now
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 08, 2007, 10:20:56 PM »

That I wouldn't be able to pay for it, mostly. I'm a filthy poor with suboptimal credit. But we talked about financial aid options, and it sounds like one way or another Michigan makes sure you can borrow what you need.
Michigan '11

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 08, 2007, 11:56:25 PM »

That I wouldn't be able to pay for it, mostly. I'm a filthy poor with suboptimal credit. But we talked about financial aid options, and it sounds like one way or another Michigan makes sure you can borrow what you need.

Michigan was weird with me wrt the financial aspect. I'm a poor too...and Michigan was the only school that didn't give me money.  I'm sure I could have haggled money out of them with my other money offers from peer schools, but it really did strike me as odd that I didn't get a good amount (aka less than 10gs only guaranteed for 1L) from them.  It made me wonder how they figured that stuff out...bc CLS is cheap as hell and even their gave me a guaranteed amount of money for all 3 years.
Columbia 3L

Gengiswump

• Sr. Citizen
  • "she's a tough mfer, but she knows how to party"
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 09, 2007, 12:15:40 AM »
Umm, you can stop discouraging Michigan people now.  K, thx. :P
Quote from: tj.
Write a PS on it, fuckstick.

Quote from: Miss P
Sometimes all you've got is a wacky hi-jink.

Quote from: Miss P
This is truly the ultimate in toolish douchebaggery.

Res nonnumquam ipsa loquitur, sed aliter aeternaliter queritur.

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 09, 2007, 12:41:33 AM »
Umm, you can stop discouraging Michigan people now.  K, thx. :P

ha ha, not discouraging...you know i love Michigan (and I may be coming to visit for the convention)

but financials are an important consideration...especially if you are a poor ;)
Columbia 3L