29 (15.2%)
unsure I'll be attending
 42 (22%)
a current student
 19 (9.9%)
just checking the tally
 75 (39.3%)

Total Members Voted: 191

Author Topic: Michigan Class of 2011: where you should be  (Read 235376 times)

Pearl

• Sr. Citizen
  • I AM THE LAW
    • View Profile
Re: Michigan Class of 2011: where you should be
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2007, 09:19:53 PM »
Pikey - don't deter them from coming this early in the cycle!!

:P

Tag - (hi 2011's!)

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2007, 09:22:19 PM »
Pikey - don't deter them from coming this early in the cycle!!

:P

Tag - (hi 2011's!)

;)
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

number34

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2007, 09:25:04 PM »
Question for Pikey, Pearl, and any other Wolverines: As someone who plans to practice in So Cal, I've done the research as far as which firms interview at Mich... but I was wondering about job prospects for 1Ls out of the state... say in So Cal, for example? Thanks in advance for answering... I've really been wondering about this. If I were to also get in to SC/UCLA, I would take this into account when I decide (though, I would definitely prefer overall to go to Michigan).

Pearl

• Sr. Citizen
  • I AM THE LAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2007, 09:33:46 PM »
number34 - for some of the not-as-popular markets I'm looking at, I've been told that being from Michigan as opposed to a local school is an advantage because instead of competing with 2/3 of your class for a spot, you're only really "competing" with other people from your class at Michigan that want to work at the same firm. Being only one of a few applicants from your top-ten school puts you in a lot better of a position than being one of, say, 25-30 from a lower-ranked school.

That being said, I have yet to land a firm job and am only a 1L, but that's what I've been told by 2Ls, 3Ls, lawyers in the market I'm looking at, and a couple of career services people. :)  Honestly, if you call admissions and ask them to put you in touch with a current student who plans to work in So Cal so you can ask them questions about it, they would totally be more than happy to do that for you.

Pearl

• Sr. Citizen
  • I AM THE LAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2007, 09:34:55 PM »
I should add that it really helps if you have connections to So Cal.

Also, could we get "current student" as an option on the poll? :P

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2007, 09:38:41 PM »
Hi futute Michigunners!  :D

I've got my hand up already!   :o

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

number34

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2007, 09:42:35 PM »
"Honestly, if you call admissions and ask them to put you in touch with a current student who plans to work in So Cal so you can ask them questions about it, they would totally be more than happy to do that for you."

Thanks for the quick reply/good advice. I'll for sure do that, and, fortunately, I do have So Cal connections

P.S. I'm looking forward to the bowling already

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2007, 09:50:38 PM »
Question for Pikey, Pearl, and any other Wolverines: As someone who plans to practice in So Cal, I've done the research as far as which firms interview at Mich... but I was wondering about job prospects for 1Ls out of the state... say in So Cal, for example? Thanks in advance for answering... I've really been wondering about this. If I were to also get in to SC/UCLA, I would take this into account when I decide (though, I would definitely prefer overall to go to Michigan).

I'd definitely choose Michigan over USC or UCLA.  Michigan students go all over.  We actually send more students to the West Coast than any EC schools and more students to the East Coast than any WC school.  As long as you have ties to the state, you'll have no problem getting an job in Cali.  Even if you don't have ties, you can get a job, it might just be a little more difficult.  The benefit of Mich over USC or UCLA is that you'll be able to stand out from the crowd.  Since we go all over, we don't really saturate any single market like some other schools might.  Of course, being ranked higher doesn't hurt!

ETA: Pearl totally beat me.  Told you she's a gunner  :D
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

number34

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2007, 10:01:27 PM »
Thanks for more good advice. And I see what you mean about Pearl! ;D

Unsubtle Michigan Troll

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2007, 10:03:37 PM »
Also, could we get "current student" as an option on the poll? :P

No problem, plenty of time to change polls while I'm here not studying...

NOTICE:  This action will reset the poll.  Please respond again.