Law School Discussion

-

GCoop.

• View Profile
Re: How Accurate Is This Comparative "Hours of Study Per Day" Chart?
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2007, 06:28:40 PM »
GCoop see ya at bowling tomorrow for one of my 21 hrs per day of not studying

Michigan = the greatest

Hopefully I don't get drunk, fall down and hit my head while sliding fifteen feet down the lane this time while I'm not studying.

Pearl

• I AM THE LAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2007, 07:15:31 PM »
If you do I am so taking a picture and posting it on facebook while I'm not studying.

gowi

• Emory '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2007, 06:16:16 AM »
Hey Matthies, you really should write a book. Everything you have written in this thread has been so insightful. You could give Turrow a run for his money. You've made me feel much better about law school. Thanks!  ;D

gowi

• Emory '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2007, 08:07:09 AM »
Hey Matthies, you really should write a book. Everything you have written in this thread has been so insightful. You could give Turrow a run for his money. You've made me feel much better about law school. Thanks!  ;D

LOL, thanks! I don't know how insightful it is, since it took me 4 years to fingure all this stuff out. Actually a few friends and I have tossed around the idea of writing a book for people NOT going to top schools, because all the books are written as if everyone is going to Yale or Harvard. There is a very different strategy for doing law school outside of the top schools, yet almost nothing written on it. To bad Iím not a very good writer!

there certainly is a market out there for a book like this!

I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

rsr28

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2007, 08:45:10 PM »
I was at school today and sat next to two 1Lís getting ready for exams, they were quizzing each other on the black letter law of contracts. Thatís typically what you would do in UG, the point was there to know the subject, thatís not really the point in law school. You can tell people that, but they really donít get it until after they have had at least 1 semester of law school and 1 set of exams. Knowing the law is not nearly enough to do well on law school exams. Nor is it really the point. You might get 1-2 points for reciting the right law, but the majority of your points for any exam are going to come from IDing the issue and analyzing the facts as they relate to the law/issues/facts (things that you could do even if you could not remeber the exact wording of the rule). No way could you pass a law school exam just by listing the rules however.

Then again, learning the black-letter law is a PART (albeit perhaps small) of exam-taking.  To me that is the only thing you could study in a study-group format effectively?  So, what if they've studied the concepts on their own and are simply refreshing their memories on the b-l law?  I guess I just don't think it's fair to jump to conclusions like this.  Just because law theory is perhaps more important than other aspects does NOT mean you can disregard those other aspects entirely.