Law School Discussion

-

Peanut_Butter_Jelly_Time

• Is It Already Peanut Butter and Jelly Time?
    • View Profile
-
« on: November 27, 2007, 08:28:47 PM »
-

rsr28

• View Profile
Re: How Accurate Is This Comparative "Hours of Study Per Day" Chart?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 08:38:26 PM »
http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog/2007/10/princeton-rev-2.html

i can't understand what the methodology here is, or why the hell Cornell students work so hard while NYU is fun central.  it seems like T14 schools would be at the top, mottled by T4s where gunners want to transfer, and packed in by the T1 and T2.

OP: There's an old saying from men far wiser than me: LESS IS MORE.

----------

Anyways to placate you and answer your question, it would actually seem most logical to see T2/T3 at the top where biglaw is a possibility but difficult to obtain.  At T14 and even T1 everyone is going to get SOMETHING so it is not essential to be even in the top half the class.  T2/T3 you have a degree that can get you in the door but you HAVE to be high in your class.  At T4 you're largely screwed no matter what you do.

In addition, since all the curricula are the same, wouldn't it make sense that the (SUPPOSEDLY) brightest people need to study less to learn the same material?

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 08:51:51 PM »
http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog/2007/10/princeton-rev-2.html

i can't understand what the methodology here is, or why the hell Cornell students work so hard while NYU is fun central.  it seems like T14 schools would be at the top, mottled by T4s where gunners want to transfer, and packed in by the T1 and T2.

It's very accurate.

iscoredawaitlist

• The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 09:02:29 PM »
Well just a theory I guess, but if you say that Top schools focus more on "thinking" like a lawyer, and lower schools focus more on "learning" (black letter) law, then I think you have a general answer. Studying more doesn't necessarily help when the object is to think and conceptualize something, but it DOES help if you're trying to memorize and that kind of thing.

I can't explain Cornell.

I think conventional wisdom about people working harder at lower ranked schools because it's harder to get jobs may be correct, but I'm not really sure how much of a difference it makes. Fear can only motivate so much for so long.

moonpie

• No it's not mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 09:32:27 PM »
it could be that cornellians are less efficient when studying. or that the psychology of cornell kids leads them to overstate how much they study, or for NYU people to underestimate how much they study.

GCoop.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 10:00:48 PM »
Come to Michigan and you can not study for 19-20 hours of the day, too!

GCoop.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 10:05:18 PM »
right after i'm done not studying, i usually play racquetball or go to the movies.  life is great here.

gowi

• Emory '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 07:35:21 AM »
I seriously hope this study is of first semester first year law students. Because if its not, and this is average time spent studying every day throughout law school (not exam crunch time) 5 hours spent studying per day should be a huge red flag that maybe law school and the legal profession is not the right choice for you. Its not rocket science people.

So you're saying 5 hours a day every day is excessive for someone at a T1 (not T14) school?

I'm sorry, I am very confused about why people say law school is difficult if that amount of work is considered excessive.

rtqw

• Jim Tressel drinks wine coolers
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 03:22:02 PM »
Do we trust the Princeton Review to do scientifically accurate polls? Do we trust law students to respond consistently and accurately? I'm not sure if I do on either count.

Pearl

• I AM THE LAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2007, 04:45:30 PM »
GCoop see ya at bowling tomorrow for one of my 21 hrs per day of not studying

Michigan = the greatest