Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Williamsburg, VA  (Read 1097 times)

BAFF213

Re: Williamsburg, VA
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2004, 11:43:30 PM »
ok, yes, yes, fine, grammar police: your (last post) = you're. I'm drunk, what do you expect

Muppet, allow me to introduce you to the modify button.  This little baby allows you to go back and correct all your fuckups before everyone else points them out.  I use it all the time.  I suggest you do the same. ;D

thanks for the info!

dr_draino

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2004, 11:49:03 PM »
Yeah, I concur with Muppet...if you're alright with small towns in a general sense, than Williamsburg is actually pretty nice...a few pubs/bars, not much in the way of clubs, lots of very white kids at W&M, but very pretty, nice weather, decent access to beach/DC...

Muppet

• "And we'll pass and be forgotten with the rest..."
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2004, 11:50:57 PM »
thanks for the help, but the modify button is for losers, in my humble opinion.  stand up and speak your mind, grammatically or not.

popov drinkers of the world, unite.
Stanford '08.  Fo' shizzle.

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2004, 03:40:36 AM »
Haha.  I was one of those annoying tourists in Williamsburg last summer.  William and Mary seems to be in the middle of Colonial Disneyland.  It's a beautiful area though and a decent-sized town.  Didn't seem boring and dreary at all to me...but then again, I used to live in Ithaca which has that rep and I though it was great.
Fed gov't atty

Rizz98

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.91/165
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rizz98
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2004, 08:29:44 AM »
Linquest is right on - nice college town, a lot like Ithaca, but warmer and a hell of a lot closer to the beach when it gets nice enough for that. Depending on who you are, the colonial/touristy crap can be funny, corny, or absolutely annoying. I've only been there once, but I have a friend who went to W&M undergrad and she absolutely loved it.

Stay off I-64 on those spring/summer Friday evenings though, it's murder!
"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2004, 09:25:23 AM »
Thanks for the info!  I'm applying there, but have never been and don't know anything about it.

For those who have, do you know anything about the job market there?  Like, how small of a town is it?  I'm asking because since my bf will be coming with me, he'll need to find somewhere to work.  He's got mucho experience as a Mac technician (both desktops and laptops) and will have a business degree.  (bachelors)

Not expecting anyone to have any idea, but I just thought I'd throw it out since a few of you seem to be pretty familiar with the area.

Thanks!

The ZAPINATOR

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - N/A
    • AOL Instant Messenger - N/A
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - N/A
    • View Profile
    • N/A
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2004, 09:32:28 AM »
Can't address Jacy's question, but let me say that I went there for like a week about 6 or 7 years ago with my cousin/aunt/uncle for 4th of July vacation (yep, annoying tourists).  It was great.  We went to Busch Gardens or the Water Park like 3 or 4 times.  The town itself is quaint, pretty, and seems to be pretty chilled.  I noticed a lot of hot college girls, but since I was in high school at the time, that probably had something to do with that.

ZAP

help101

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2004, 12:13:40 PM »
jacy, your bf might have to go to Richmond for that line of work or for big $ down there.  i'm not sure, though. 

i would take wmbg over ithaca any day.

vmersich

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2004, 12:29:59 PM »
I think there are few larger areas closer than Richmond.  Newport News, i think.  And the largest city in the state is virginia beach, and that is about an hour, if i'm not mistaken. 

Jacy, I am in the same situation.  About the only thing precluding me from applying to W&L is the perceived inability for my partner to get a job in Lexington.  Williamsburg is only slightly better in that respect, from I can tell.  If anyone can contradict this presupposition, please do.   

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2004, 12:37:06 PM »
help101 - Gotta agree with you there, as much as I liked Ithaca.  The job market around Williamsburg is light years better, it's closer to a great metropolis, and the winters are much much more moderate.
Fed gov't atty