Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Flesch-Kincaid Reading Level  (Read 2086 times)

Engilaw

Flesch-Kincaid Reading Level
« on: September 28, 2004, 10:48:52 PM »
I know this has been discussed before, but I was wondering what kind of stats you all have for your personal statements / optional essays.  Mine is:

PS:
Passive Sentences: 9%
Flesch Reading Ease: 56
Flesch-Kincaid Reading Level: 9

Optional Essay:
Passive Sentences 14%
Flesch Reading Ease: 45
Flesch-Kincaid Reading Level: 12

Anybody else?

M2

Re: Flesch-Kincaid Reading Level
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2004, 10:56:54 PM »
Is there a program to evalute this?

im not doing it myself lol

M2

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2004, 10:59:24 PM »
found one...
http://www.ilovejackdaniels.com/resources/readability-score/

for my PS

lesch-Kincaid Reading Ease: 51
Ideally, web page text should be around the 60 to 80 mark on this scale. The higher the score, the more readable the text.

Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level: 10
Ideally, web page text should be around the 6 to 7 mark on this scale. The lower the score, the more readable the text.

Gunning-Fox Index: 17
Ideally, web page text should be between 11 and 15 on this scale. The lower the score, the more readable the text. (Anything over 22 should be considered the equivalent of post-graduate level text).

louieleftwing

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2004, 01:39:03 AM »
This looked interesting, so I threw my statements in there. Here are the results...

Personal Statement

Reading Ease - 35
Grade Level - 12
Gunning-Fox - 20

Diversity Statement

Ease - 42
Grade - 11
G-F - 20

GPA Addendum

Ease - 37
Grade - 12
G-F - 20

So, overall relatively tough reads, but who knows if that's good or bad? I have a bad habit when I write. I write everything like it's a speech I'm giving. What I mean by that is when people read my writing, they get lost. When I read it to them, however, with all the proper expressions and pauses and stuff, they then think it's great writing.

Then again it may be that my friends and family don't know how to read; professors always really like my writing.