Law School Discussion

JD International student; tax returns and W-2s?

JD International student; tax returns and W-2s?
« on: November 26, 2007, 05:07:06 PM »

I was wondering how international JD applicants(non-resident aliens) are filling for financial aid..

some schools i applied to require separate form to be printed out and mailed to each schools, some schools don't. some schools say there will be absolutely no financial aid for international applicants and must show proof of financial resources for at least one academic year. some schools set deadline for financial aid application, some don't state it. it's quite tricky, different schools seem to have different things.

One specific school, in a financial aid application form, states that students complete a FAFSA(Free Application for Federal Student Aid), and send copy of student's and parents' 2007 federal tax returns, including all schedules and W-2s.

My questions:
1. If my research is correct, international students(non-resident aliens) are not qualified for FAFSA. should i complete FAFSA? where do i complete it? website address?
2. Since i and my parents never worked in US, am i free from obligation to send copies of federal tax return? or do i send an alternative documents from the country i and my parents live in now?
3. what is W-2s?

Re: JD International student; tax returns and W-2s?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 05:23:15 PM »
I am foreign educated too but i have got the permanent resident status. Brief answers to your questions:

1) If you are neither citizen nor permanent resident, you are not qualified for FAFSA;

2) The schools i applied to (a few in T14 and Emory) do not require any of my parents' tax returns or other financial documents after i tell them that neither of my parents has worked in the U.S.A. Maybe you could call the specific schools you want to apply to for this question.

3) W2 is a form to show your annual salary/income if you have worked and received income in the previous fiscal year in the U.S.A. It's usually sent to you before you file for tax returns every March or April. If you have never worked in the U.S.A., you wouldn't receive the W2 form.   

Re: JD International student; tax returns and W-2s?
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 06:50:19 AM »
Thank you for the answers.
I guess i'm 'none-of-the-above' then. but I will take your advice and make calls to make sure.