Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: You dont need a J.D. to practice law ??  (Read 2387 times)

Victor

You dont need a J.D. to practice law ??
« on: March 16, 2004, 11:54:35 PM »
I was watching The Practice the other day and the short black secretary was appointed partner by Bobby. I know this is just TV but have their been cases where someone without a J.D. practiced law?

camelbx

• 164/2.95
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: You dont need a J.D. to practice law ??
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2004, 12:20:23 AM »
JD is a relative term.

I -believe- (dont know 100%) that foriegn attorneys that have practiced for enough years from a common law nation and that have a LLM can sit for the bar in some states.

Also unaccredited schools can issue JDs and those students can sit in some states for the bar.

But to be realistic practicing without a JD went out of style with the stovepipe tophat.

dta

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2004, 01:14:36 AM »
OK. I feel embarrassed for knowing this. Alright, i'm outed. I used to watch the show a long time ago.  :)

Anyway, if we're talking about the same person (the short black woman) she actually does have her JD I believe. In an episode long ago she surprised everyone at the firm by saying one day "i'm an attorney now!". She used to work there as a secretary and secretly went to law school at night and took and passed the bar without telling anyone.

lawschoolafterdark

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School After Dark
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2004, 11:30:24 AM »
I seem to recall the episode that dta mentioned.

Cherry

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2004, 04:04:04 PM »
Season 3

35. Passing Go

Bobby is hit by a car while his mind is involved on other matters. Meanwhile, Ellenor becomes disillusioned with the law when she comes to the realization that underhanded behavior has become second nature to her. Eugene defends a young man on murder charges. Bobby visits his father. Rebecca shocks the firm when she announces she's passed the bar exam.

jgruber

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2004, 02:30:21 PM »
OK.  It's a boring day so....

I heard that the Practice was a good show so I watched a couple of episodes lately.  These two episodes showed the hot shot come home to defend the boyhood friend on a murder charge.

The hot shot is the most obnoxious person to walk the planet.  Why would anyone want to acquit his client, which they did?

Anti_Ivy

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2004, 02:34:54 PM »
I cannot stand Eugene!!!  I want Eugene gone!!!  I like the "hot shot" better than Eugene.  I've been watching the show since it started, and I've never liked Eugene!!

OK.  It's a boring day so....

I heard that the Practice was a good show so I watched a couple of episodes lately.  These two episodes showed the hot shot come home to defend the boyhood friend on a murder charge.

The hot shot is the most obnoxious person to walk the planet.  Why would anyone want to acquit his client, which they did?

jgruber

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2004, 02:39:14 PM »
Who's Eugene?

Anti_Ivy

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2004, 02:45:49 PM »
WOW!  You must not have been paying that much attention to the show!  Eugene is the big, black man on the show.  You know, the a-hole with the attitude?

Who's Eugene?

jgruber

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2004, 02:48:39 PM »
I was reading while watching.

The big black guy who always has his lips pursed?

But that other guy.  He defines arogance.