Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: HLS Class of 2011, even if you are just thinking about coming!  (Read 51155 times)

jd2bee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: HLS Class of 2011, even if you are just thinking about coming!
« Reply #340 on: August 12, 2008, 09:50:22 PM »
I'm in Section 2.  I've got Donahue, Warren, Meltzer and Leubsdorf (visiting from Rutgers).  I've looked at the evals but if anyone has any insider info, I'd love it!

toryslaw

• View Profile
« Reply #341 on: August 12, 2008, 10:01:11 PM »
Section 6.
LSN: toryslaw

road

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: August 12, 2008, 10:03:11 PM »
I'm in Section 2.  I've got Donahue, Warren, Meltzer and Leubsdorf (visiting from Rutgers).  I've looked at the evals but if anyone has any insider info, I'd love it!

I've never had Warren but I've heard she's a great teacher and very socratic.
IANAL...Y

QueenoftheCourt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: August 12, 2008, 11:48:00 PM »
I'm in section 4! I've got Barkow, Steiker, Frug and Greiner. Any inside would be appreciated. Also, where do we find the evals that were mentioned above?
Harvard Law 2011!

(Formerly known as CalGirl86)
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=calgal86

bakongo

• HLS 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: August 13, 2008, 09:53:41 AM »
I'm in section 4! I've got Barkow, Steiker, Frug and Greiner. Any inside would be appreciated. Also, where do we find the evals that were mentioned above?

Try this link: http://www.law.harvard.edu/students/dean/resources/courseevals/ProfsA-M.php, then search by professor.

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #345 on: August 13, 2008, 10:21:28 AM »
I also just got my assignment and I'm in section I with these profs:

Minow-Civ. Pro
Ferrell-Contracts
Mack-Property
Sargentich-Torts
Bressman (visiting)-Legislation
Kahan (visiting)-Criminal

Anyone have any info to share on them? It would be greatly appreciated!

Minow is cool as *&^%, and Kahan is exceedingly cool as well (friend of Hanson, I believe). Don't know about the other ones, but Minow...dayum. You is lucky.

Warren scares the *&^% out of me, but in as a good a way as one can have the *&^% scared out of oneself. She's basically a rock star. Meltzer, as I understand it, some love and some...do not.

Section 6.

If your username refers to the Tory party, you might not get along fabulously with Hanson. A lot of right-leaners don't like his/psychology's ideas about the human ability to choose.

Steiker: also a rock star. She's HLS's major death penalty scholar, I believe. A friend had Frug--I believe he's a bit nutty, but not in a bad-bad way. And for a lot of these people, opinions vary WIDELY.

As for evals, see if you can dig up the Record's evals, or HLCentral's (one or both, can't remember). They're more subjective--comments, I think, are more telling than scantrons.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

Saja

• Sr. Citizen
  • Into enemy territory...
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: August 13, 2008, 10:51:31 PM »
Oh wow I guess I'm officially a seasoned veteran now that there's a whole New Section 6.  Weinreb is great, as is Hanson if you learn to appreciate him.  And there's NO doubt that he's a devoted section leader, I think I can fairly safely say the BEST section leader, which in my opinion has a lot to do with why Section 6 has been unofficially known as the best or one of the best sections to be in for the last 3 years.  (And yes, I do think there's such a thing as a best section and I do think ours was the best last year. ;))

Can only speak for Weinreb and Hanson and neither allow laptops, which I think is a good thing overall.  Especially for Weinreb, since it's really necessary not be distracted at all in that class (you won't want to be anyway, he's extremely engaging).  Definitely a tough but fair exam which makes you know your stuff since it's closed book.  Start memorizing those cases and how they relate to each other and you'll have a leg up during finals.  But as Dash said, I think the curve is fairly generous since I f*ed up one of the questions (I thought) fairly badly and still did ok.

Thanks for being the bearer of good news Dash.  I'll be sure to be extra nice to Hanson.

Got my section assignment through the mail today.  I'll be in section 6.  Anyone else going to be with me?

V. cool. Weinreb (eee!) for Crim, and Hanson (double eee!) for Torts. Issacharoff, visiting prof from NYU for CivPro, Berger (Am Indian law prof from UConn) for Prop, and Triantis for Ks. I think I've heard good things about the latter.

Weinreb advice: try to keep current on the reading, because there will be periods of time where he will suddenly wallop you with a hundred pp in a night. Also, our final was closed-book, but he didn't care about case names. Study accordingly if he has the same MO for this year. It was really hard, but I think the curve was generous. Also, he's frakkin awesome.

Hanson advice: be nice to him. Or you'll have me to answer to.
(Also, I did all the reading. I don't know whether or not that's necessary, but I found it helpful, although some really are just unintelligible 'til after class. But he's not Socratic, and there are relatively few cases. It's a really mellow experience, I thought. Oh, you're so lucky. Oh, oh, oh. So jealous.)

BlueGreen

• Sr. Citizen
  • [insert vague quote here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: August 14, 2008, 10:00:23 AM »
Section 3! Rubenstein, Lester, Stephenson, Singer. I've looked up the evals, but any additional information would be greatly appreciated!!
HLS class of 2011
LSN

sharo68

• View Profile
« Reply #348 on: August 14, 2008, 12:06:35 PM »
So, here's the low down as I see it:

Greiner: He's awesome, and young.  He has some pretty cool ways to run his class.  Also, because he is young, he is willing to take suggestions regarding the way he teaches his class.  He's going to be a rockstar one day!  Quite a few of my friends are going to TA for him.

Meltzer:  Meltzer is love-hate.  He is certainly one of the "old school" professors, but has toned it down in recent years.  You'll notice his rhetorical flourishes come out when he said witty things to students like:  "What's a Shorter, better answer than Yes?"  He teaches you quite a bit (with very complex hypotheticals), but is a 'tough' grader generally. To be sure, you can't be that tough on a curve, but still on the low end of the curve grading.  Make sure that you follow the directions on his exams very carefully (see e.g., do not abbreviate EVER!).  He is a legend in Federal Courts and is known as having one of the Top GPA's from HLS ever.

Triantis:  The opposite of Meltzer.  People love him. He's canadian and very very laid back.  He is also a superstar in the law and economics approach to the law.  You would be wise to take a look at some of his writing (later in the semester) on Options contracts.  But don't do that until you have some idea of what law school is like. 

Callmecrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #349 on: August 14, 2008, 12:56:12 PM »
Section 5: Barron, Cohen, Pottow, Suk & Mann. Any info on these professors would be much appreciated!