Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: HLS Class of 2011, even if you are just thinking about coming!  (Read 50700 times)

jd2bee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: HLS Class of 2011, even if you are just thinking about coming!
« Reply #330 on: July 14, 2008, 06:54:21 PM »
A note for after you get your section assignments: I almost feel bad spoiling the fun, but if you're an extremely anxious type who is LUCKY ENOUGH to get Hanson as your torts prof/section leader, he (+ coauthor) has an article on SSRN about his approach to tort law. Link: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1154164

Like I said, this might spoil the fun (yours and his), and it is only a draft, so it's not the most polished piece in the world. Actually, upon further reflection, I wouldn't recommend reading this 'til after the class is over (but before the final) unless you're really dying and have no idea what is going on, big-picture-wise. The beginning is kind of dense and I was in the class, so. But yes. Advance notice and explication of an unorthodox prof's theory of teaching your very class: may indeed come in handy.

Related: buy no commercial supplements for Hanson's Torts class. They will be laughably useless. I will be the one doing the laughing.

Speaking of which, anyone know when we get our section assignments?

Last year they came through about August 15.  But, they were sent to permanent addresses which is rough since many people had moved already. Also, once they were sent out, section leaders often sent out an email introducing themselves to their section so that helped those who weren't at their permanent addresses.  Finally, last year HLS made a bit of a mistake by accidentally posting sections online under MyHLS or something like that a week before they were released (and an LSDer found the mistake!  But by the time many people checked, they were no longer posted). I've been trying, but we can't even log in to that yet. I'm guessing they won't make the same error this year.

egreenwood

• AOL Instant Messenger - kikipbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: August 05, 2008, 10:56:14 AM »
is anyone else having serious sidebar issues? every time i use it, my computer goes haywire. i have firefox and vista. i just want to figure out whether i'm a weirdo before i e-mail someone about it.
hls 11

periwinkle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #332 on: August 05, 2008, 08:33:24 PM »
is anyone else having serious sidebar issues? every time i use it, my computer goes haywire. i have firefox and vista. i just want to figure out whether i'm a weirdo before i e-mail someone about it.

It's not just you~ it makes my computer run at a sluggish pace while I'm on it, and it's hard to exit sometimes. It takes forever for all of the photos to load too, but maybe my relatively slow Internet connection is at fault there. Then again, they did load a lot faster before TS told everyone to join & upload a directory pic.

caribelita

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #333 on: August 08, 2008, 12:45:06 PM »
Ok--so apparently I'm out of the loop.  What is this Sidebar thing, and what do we have to do with it?  Did I just not get any info about it since I was technically part of the Class of 2010 and deferred for a year, or did someone forget to send me some ultra-important info?

egreenwood

• AOL Instant Messenger - kikipbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: August 08, 2008, 03:55:16 PM »
e-mail toby about it. it's for seating charts and it's due today, but it'll probably be fine as long as it's done before registration.
hls 11

indyguy7484

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: August 11, 2008, 09:48:38 PM »
Got my section assignment through the mail today.  I'll be in section 6.  Anyone else going to be with me?

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #336 on: August 12, 2008, 10:34:29 AM »
Got my section assignment through the mail today.  I'll be in section 6.  Anyone else going to be with me?

V. cool. Weinreb (eee!) for Crim, and Hanson (double eee!) for Torts. Issacharoff, visiting prof from NYU for CivPro, Berger (Am Indian law prof from UConn) for Prop, and Triantis for Ks. I think I've heard good things about the latter.

Weinreb advice: try to keep current on the reading, because there will be periods of time where he will suddenly wallop you with a hundred pp in a night. Also, our final was closed-book, but he didn't care about case names. Study accordingly if he has the same MO for this year. It was really hard, but I think the curve was generous. Also, he's frakkin awesome.

Hanson advice: be nice to him. Or you'll have me to answer to.
(Also, I did all the reading. I don't know whether or not that's necessary, but I found it helpful, although some really are just unintelligible 'til after class. But he's not Socratic, and there are relatively few cases. It's a really mellow experience, I thought. Oh, you're so lucky. Oh, oh, oh. So jealous.)
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

indyguy7484

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: August 12, 2008, 11:47:37 AM »
Thanks for being the bearer of good news Dash.  I'll be sure to be extra nice to Hanson.

V. cool. Weinreb (eee!) for Crim, and Hanson (double eee!) for Torts. Issacharoff, visiting prof from NYU for CivPro, Berger (Am Indian law prof from UConn) for Prop, and Triantis for Ks. I think I've heard good things about the latter.

Weinreb advice: try to keep current on the reading, because there will be periods of time where he will suddenly wallop you with a hundred pp in a night. Also, our final was closed-book, but he didn't care about case names. Study accordingly if he has the same MO for this year. It was really hard, but I think the curve was generous. Also, he's frakkin awesome.

Hanson advice: be nice to him. Or you'll have me to answer to.
(Also, I did all the reading. I don't know whether or not that's necessary, but I found it helpful, although some really are just unintelligible 'til after class. But he's not Socratic, and there are relatively few cases. It's a really mellow experience, I thought. Oh, you're so lucky. Oh, oh, oh. So jealous.)

bakongo

• HLS 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: August 12, 2008, 06:11:07 PM »
I also just got my assignment and I'm in section I with these profs:

Minow-Civ. Pro
Ferrell-Contracts
Mack-Property
Sargentich-Torts
Bressman (visiting)-Legislation
Kahan (visiting)-Criminal

Anyone have any info to share on them? It would be greatly appreciated!

road

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: August 12, 2008, 08:46:31 PM »
I also just got my assignment and I'm in section I with these profs:

Minow-Civ. Pro
Ferrell-Contracts
Mack-Property
Sargentich-Torts
Bressman (visiting)-Legislation
Kahan (visiting)-Criminal

Anyone have any info to share on them? It would be greatly appreciated!

I had Mack for property. I'm a fan. I found him very likable and he was one of the best at clearly presenting the material in a straightforward manner.
IANAL...Y