Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: HLS Class of 2011, even if you are just thinking about coming!  (Read 51170 times)

QueenoftheCourt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: HLS Class of 2011, even if you are just thinking about coming!
« Reply #320 on: June 13, 2008, 01:51:01 PM »
How big of a deal do you think grades really will be? I'm trying to choose right now,  and the grades thing is a critical factor. I have been told that pretty much everyone gets Bs at HLS, but I don't know what to think anymore. 

Any feedback by 4 PST (my deadline!) would be appreciated.
Harvard Law 2011!

(Formerly known as CalGirl86)
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=calgal86

caribelita

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #321 on: June 13, 2008, 02:33:26 PM »
How big of a deal do you think grades really will be? I'm trying to choose right now,  and the grades thing is a critical factor. I have been told that pretty much everyone gets Bs at HLS, but I don't know what to think anymore.

Any feedback by 4 PST (my deadline!) would be appreciated.

I think part of it is determined by your personality and own expectations for yourself.  For instance, if you've never gotten a B in your life and don't think you could 'handle' the nearly inevitability of receiving B's at Harvard, then maybe another system of grading will take off the edge/help you keep your sanity.  However, if you're fine with the idea of getting B's and can easily convince yourself to take comfort in the knowledge that a Harvard grad with lots of B's still gets amazing job offers, then I don't think the grade or non-grade thing should be a huge factor in deciding where to go. 

Even so, I still like the idea of no letter grades :).  It just seems less intimidating and stressful.  But that's just me. :)

Good luck!

Startin Up Soon!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: July 10, 2008, 08:31:21 PM »
If you decide to get an off-campus apt, what do you do with it over the summer?

caribelita

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #323 on: July 11, 2008, 09:38:31 PM »
Most landlords in the area don't allow subleasing in the summers, so you just have to foot the bill for the summer months.  You could also try to find a place that allows subleasing, though these are a bit hard to find.

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #324 on: July 13, 2008, 05:42:40 PM »
I haven't heard that about not allowing subleasing. Could be true; just not something I heard people bitching about at the end of the year (and we bitched about a lot of *&^%).
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

Startin Up Soon!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: July 13, 2008, 08:56:08 PM »
Gosh, I'd prefer to lease an apt but if I'm not allowed to sublet, I don't really think I'd want to be adding more to the ol' student debt pile :-/

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #326 on: July 13, 2008, 10:23:36 PM »
So nu, signed my lease today, and you're just required to get the landlord's permission to sublet. So there is my anecdotal and unrepresentative experience.

In other words: do not let this worry you. At least one stranger on the internet has contradicted another stranger on the internet on this very point.
This sig kills fascists.

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

caribelita

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #327 on: July 14, 2008, 03:32:06 AM »
Like I said, some landlords let you sublease your unit, but you have to be careful to ask first.  For instance, when I was looking for apartments this past summer, I had decided on viewing 10 of them, and after speaking with the realtor about the whole subleasing thing, he narrowed down my list to 2 places (b/c the landlords of 8 of them didn't allow subleasing).  The realtor also told me that it was a good thing that I had asked about the subleasing policy b/c in general, many landlords in the area didn't allow it.

...So I guess the take-home message is: just ask about it before you sign a lease.  That way, you know what you're getting yourself into, and you won't have to worry about what to do next summer.

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #328 on: July 14, 2008, 04:27:18 PM »
A note for after you get your section assignments: I almost feel bad spoiling the fun, but if you're an extremely anxious type who is LUCKY ENOUGH to get Hanson as your torts prof/section leader, he (+ coauthor) has an article on SSRN about his approach to tort law. Link: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1154164

Like I said, this might spoil the fun (yours and his), and it is only a draft, so it's not the most polished piece in the world. Actually, upon further reflection, I wouldn't recommend reading this 'til after the class is over (but before the final) unless you're really dying and have no idea what is going on, big-picture-wise. The beginning is kind of dense and I was in the class, so. But yes. Advance notice and explication of an unorthodox prof's theory of teaching your very class: may indeed come in handy.

Related: buy no commercial supplements for Hanson's Torts class. They will be laughably useless. I will be the one doing the laughing.
This sig kills fascists.

indyguy7484

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: July 14, 2008, 05:19:44 PM »
A note for after you get your section assignments: I almost feel bad spoiling the fun, but if you're an extremely anxious type who is LUCKY ENOUGH to get Hanson as your torts prof/section leader, he (+ coauthor) has an article on SSRN about his approach to tort law. Link: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1154164

Like I said, this might spoil the fun (yours and his), and it is only a draft, so it's not the most polished piece in the world. Actually, upon further reflection, I wouldn't recommend reading this 'til after the class is over (but before the final) unless you're really dying and have no idea what is going on, big-picture-wise. The beginning is kind of dense and I was in the class, so. But yes. Advance notice and explication of an unorthodox prof's theory of teaching your very class: may indeed come in handy.

Related: buy no commercial supplements for Hanson's Torts class. They will be laughably useless. I will be the one doing the laughing.

Speaking of which, anyone know when we get our section assignments?