Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: HLS Class of 2011, even if you are just thinking about coming!  (Read 50487 times)

caribelita

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: HLS Class of 2011, even if you are just thinking about coming!
« Reply #310 on: May 31, 2008, 12:25:11 PM »
A piece of advice to anyone who got a bad number in the HRES lottery; monitoring the 'currently available' section at the right time can be GOLDEN. By the right time I mean around 10AM CST on Thursdays through the afternoon. Its a few hours before they send out the email about new availabilities, and they add about 10-20 good options every week.

This is actually really good advice.  I may be putting my 1 bedroom, 689 sq. ft. Terry Terrace apartment up for grabs on the Currently Available list at some point late next month or in July.  It's actually a steal for the location and the size (1st floor; 689 sq. ft; right in front of HLS; all utilities included--even internet). 

The only thing is that my best friend is thinking about coming to Boston in the fall, so if she decides to, we're going to try and find a 2 bedroom place together.  She won't know definitively until next month or early July, but I just thought I'd mention this to anyone who might be interested.

P.S. For those of you who haven't done so and wanted to do it, don't forget that the Locker Sign-Up already began a few weeks ago.

QueenoftheCourt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: May 31, 2008, 03:27:27 PM »
Where do you sign up for lockers? I tried searching the website, but I couldn't find any information. Thanks for the heads up by the way!
Harvard Law 2011!

(Formerly known as CalGirl86)
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=calgal86

caribelita

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #312 on: May 31, 2008, 06:12:38 PM »
The locker sign-up sheet can be found at the following link:

http://www.law.harvard.edu/students/dean/lockers.php

Good luck!

bakongo

• HLS 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: June 01, 2008, 08:37:17 PM »
Thanks for the heads up! Did you volunteer to share a locker?

jd2bee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #314 on: June 02, 2008, 04:56:27 PM »
Anyone want to share a locker with me?

TallisUmbras

• Sr. Citizen
  • The Doors of Night
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: June 03, 2008, 05:28:35 PM »
The locker sign-up sheet can be found at the following link:

http://www.law.harvard.edu/students/dean/lockers.php

Good luck!

Thank you for sharing that information and the link!
Two schools enter, one school leaves: Harvard defeated MasterBlaster.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TallisUmbras

QueenoftheCourt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: June 10, 2008, 05:41:36 PM »
Hey all! I was just wondering if any of you had any success getting Harvard to up their financial aid offer, in light of Stanford or Yale financial offers.

I'm freaking out right now, because I just got a massive aid package from Stanford (its $10,000 more than HLS).
Harvard Law 2011!

(Formerly known as CalGirl86)
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=calgal86

TallisUmbras

• Sr. Citizen
  • The Doors of Night
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: June 10, 2008, 05:58:16 PM »
Hey all! I was just wondering if any of you had any success getting Harvard to up their financial aid offer, in light of Stanford or Yale financial offers.

I'm freaking out right now, because I just got a massive aid package from Stanford (its $10,000 more than HLS).

QOTC: I'm afraid I can't be of much help but congrats on getting into Stanford! I actually ended up getting pennies less than Stanford that I was not going to quibble about. Obviously, though, 10k is nothing to sneeze about.

Email Cassandra or whoever you feel comfortable speaking with in admissions. Just be honest with them about Stanford's offer and ask for an increase.
Two schools enter, one school leaves: Harvard defeated MasterBlaster.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TallisUmbras

jd2bee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #318 on: June 11, 2008, 05:28:27 PM »
So loan info was just sent although it's incomplete (MEFA terms (interest rate, fees) are not yet determined). Also, the Stafford lender chart isn't available yet this year so I'm not sure which lenders have which fees and everything.  I feel like in years passed, there more supplemental loan options, but i could be wrong What are you all thinking of doing, loan-wise?

caribelita

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #319 on: June 13, 2008, 12:47:56 PM »
I'm officially jealous:  >:(

Stanford University has become the third elite law school to drop letter grades.

Under the new system Stanford students will receive grades of honors, pass, restricted credit and no credit, reports Inside Higher Ed.

The system will change for students graduating in 2011, according to the Daily Journal (sub. req.). Students graduating before that will have the option of keeping their letter grades.

Law students donít get letter grades at two other elite law schools: Yale and the University of California, Berkeley. Harvard is also discussing such a move, but so far it has made no announcement of a change. Insider Higher Ed says the debate is unlikely to move to lower tier schools, where students seek to distinguish themselves with higher grades.

Oh how I'd wish that Harvard would follow this trend soon (i.e. for our Class of 2011)!!!  I know that in the end, you can still differentiate the transcripts based on the total number of Honors, etc., but there's something about not having letter grades that would just seem SOOOOOO nice. :)

Just thought I'd let you all know the "news." :)