Law School Discussion

HLS Class of 2011, even if you are just thinking about coming!

Re: HLS Class of 2011, even if you are just thinking about coming!
« Reply #250 on: May 03, 2008, 10:30:21 AM »
Financial Aid question here: Did I read somewhere that HLS will reconsider an award if another school calculates your need differently?

The reason I ask is because I finally got my award letter back from Columbia and received a $30K (total) grant.  It doesn't mention anything about being need-based.  On the other hand, it doesn't sound like a scholarship, since it was in response to my financial aid application. 

Should I bother asking HLS about this?

I'm fairly certain Columbia gives grants on a combined merit/need based criteria, so I doubt Harvard would reconsider your award. When I was talking to the financial aid office, it really seemed like they would only match or beat offers from Yale and Stanford (which are completely need based).

Personally, I didn't have much luck trying to leverage the Hamilton, but you should still try! It can't hurt.  :)

« Reply #251 on: May 03, 2008, 10:36:04 AM »
For any 1Ls, how hard is it to find apartment housing for August? I've been searching through Craigslist and it seems like most leases begin September 1st - which is too late for orientation. Secondly,I want to move in early to get furniture, get to know the neighborhood etc.

Are August availabilities usually posted later or do they not exist? I'm worried. :( 

« Reply #252 on: May 03, 2008, 12:06:58 PM »
For any 1Ls, how hard is it to find apartment housing for August? I've been searching through Craigslist and it seems like most leases begin September 1st - which is too late for orientation. Secondly,I want to move in early to get furniture, get to know the neighborhood etc.

Are August availabilities usually posted later or do they not exist? I'm worried. :( 

They're harder to find but not impossible (so say the brokers I've spoken to last year and now). (A good number of HAH start sometime in August.) July 15 might also be workable--although you will pay 2 weeks extra in rent, it may be worthwhile for the right apt. Generally, the August apts come up in June and then through the summer, so it's not hugely worth your while to look right now.

« Reply #253 on: May 03, 2008, 03:39:50 PM »
Well, it's good to know that HAH August leases actually exist. I think I'd even take a July 15th start date, just because I don't want the hassle of dealing (and paying for) a broker and having to fly down to check out apartments. The HAH process does simplify things a bit. It just seems so awkward for leases to start in July. Austin apartment complexes have 1 year leases for students, but they start in mid-August, so you're only responsible for finding a sublet for the summer AFTER classes, which is a whole lot easier than finding someone to stay in your apartment for the month or two before you've even registered. Hopefully my #6 window on June 4th will turn up some good options.

Oh, and I'm going to second the comment about Harvard only really taking Yale and Stanford's need-based offers into consideration. Harvard was very interested in what Yale offered, but they made it clear that it had to be based solely on need.

« Reply #254 on: May 03, 2008, 03:44:34 PM »
Well, it's good to know that HAH August leases actually exist. I think I'd even take a July 15th start date, just because I don't want the hassle of dealing (and paying for) a broker and having to fly down to check out apartments. The HAH process does simplify things a bit. It just seems so awkward for leases to start in July. Austin apartment complexes have 1 year leases for students, but they start in mid-August, so you're only responsible for finding a sublet for the summer AFTER classes, which is a whole lot easier than finding someone to stay in your apartment for the month or two before you've even registered. Hopefully my #6 window on June 4th will turn up some good options.

Oh, and I'm going to second the comment about Harvard only really taking Yale and Stanford's need-based offers into consideration. Harvard was very interested in what Yale offered, but they made it clear that it had to be based solely on need.

By Window 6, it's unlikely that you'll have a whole lot to choose from by way of August-beginning leases. It's possible, but I wouldn't put all my eggs into that particular basket. I was window 5 last year, and there were probably fewer than 10 left at that point, iirc.

« Reply #255 on: May 03, 2008, 05:38:32 PM »
: Sigh : Thanks for the warning. I'll probably just have to suck it up and take a July lease. I'll definitely be up at 5AM CST (when my window opens) trying to snatch whatever reasonable option I have available.

TallisUmbras

• The Doors of Night
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 03, 2008, 05:57:36 PM »
: Sigh : Thanks for the warning. I'll probably just have to suck it up and take a July lease. I'll definitely be up at 5AM CST (when my window opens) trying to snatch whatever reasonable option I have available.

Good luck...hopefully you can find something. If not, it sounds like you are already formulating a good back-up plan.

road

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 04, 2008, 08:10:25 AM »

We're moving out of our place August 1 so if you want a 3-bedroom in Huron Village (nice neighborhood, 25 min walk to HLS or direct bus route) PM me and I'll put you in touch with the landlord.

« Reply #258 on: May 04, 2008, 06:25:00 PM »
I am currently procrastinating studying for finals, but I thought i'd post something on here for the first time in a while.  I'm currently a 1L at HLS (almost done!). I'm also in 2 if you want any advice on the professors once the section assignments are released. Just PM me.

Regarding the apartment search: One of your better bets, if you are interested in hiring a broker for the apartment search, is to go through Avid Management based in Cambridge or Rental Xperts.  My group of friends (four guys) found a sweet 5 bedroom apartment with Avid.  Needless to say, it's going to be a good time in a HUGE well maintained place on a nice street in Cambridge.  Two bedrooms are by far the most common. 

Avid is pretty good with paperwork, but they require a rather extensive credit check.  Often, if you do a lot of the "legwork" Avid will give you a nice discount on their fee.  They are also the "management company" for several buildings, which means that they basically perform maintenance and oversee buildings. 

As a side note, most of the people who want dorms get them--despite the wait list.  This year there are several vacancies in Hastings.  One of my friends lives in the 3 for 2 all alone! That's not to say that you will get that lucky, but don't fret about the dorm waitlist too much.  The worst that can happen is that you wind up in Gropius (which happened to me), but that's not all that bad.  Also, noise isn't really as big an issue as it seems from all the HLS Construction worrying that goes on.

« Reply #259 on: May 05, 2008, 10:03:37 AM »
Anyone know when that dorm lottery email is going out today?