Law School Discussion

HLS Class of 2011, even if you are just thinking about coming!

Re: HLS Class of 2011, even if you are just thinking about coming!
« Reply #240 on: April 30, 2008, 08:52:16 PM »
How tough is it to get a dorm room? If I wait out the waiting list am I likely to be successful?

« Reply #241 on: May 01, 2008, 05:45:39 AM »
If I understand correctly, they waitlist everyone after 220 for 400+ rooms. They must use the waitlist pretty heavily unless I have a big misunderstanding.

« Reply #242 on: May 01, 2008, 08:37:45 AM »
FYI: My roommate wrote to HRES to ask about his window (#11) and what that would mean for his chances of getting a place. Their response:

XYZ,

There are 11 window assignments.  You should search for other options as well as the Currently Available List which is updated daily.

Best

H.H.

« Reply #243 on: May 01, 2008, 10:03:51 AM »
Two quick questions:

When is the deposit deadline?

When are first semester finals? After Christmas?

Thanks.

(Yes, I realize these questions have probably been discussed.)

« Reply #244 on: May 01, 2008, 10:19:44 AM »
Two quick questions:

When are first semester finals? After Christmas?

After Christmas for class of 2011.  It changes for the next class.

« Reply #245 on: May 01, 2008, 10:39:04 AM »
Thanks.

« Reply #246 on: May 01, 2008, 11:13:43 AM »
If I understand correctly, they waitlist everyone after 220 for 400+ rooms. They must use the waitlist pretty heavily unless I have a big misunderstanding.

Don't forget about 2Ls and 3Ls.  IIRC, only about 40% of the rooms are blocked off for 1Ls.

« Reply #247 on: May 01, 2008, 05:23:41 PM »
Hello everyone,

Incoming Harvard 1L here. I had a few good options, but ultimately decided on Harvard because I'm really interested in Health Law. Harvard seems to have more offerings in that area than comparable schools, and, well, nothing matches Boston.

I applied to Harvard Affiliated Housing because apparently the Mrs. and I can't live together in the dorms (I doubt we'd want to anyway). I was pretty excited about getting Window 6 UNTIL I started reading that most leases start July 1st and you have 3 days after choosing your apartment to provide 1st month's rent! Why in God's name are we expected to pay rent for two months before classes even start? : sigh: Right now I'm running the numbers on whether I should sign up for a lease during my window and just end my summer job early or take the risk of waiting until July to choose an apartment. Tradeoffs tradeoffs tradeoffs

500 enrollment deposit, 1200 to move all our stuff from Austin to Boston (and drive there), 1500 for July, 1500 for August, all before we receive a cent of financial aid?  Money's gonna be tight this summer. I wish there was a way to get our student loans early to pay for some of this stuff.

TallisUmbras

• The Doors of Night
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 02, 2008, 01:57:06 PM »
Hello everyone,

Incoming Harvard 1L here. I had a few good options, but ultimately decided on Harvard because I'm really interested in Health Law. Harvard seems to have more offerings in that area than comparable schools, and, well, nothing matches Boston.

I applied to Harvard Affiliated Housing because apparently the Mrs. and I can't live together in the dorms (I doubt we'd want to anyway). I was pretty excited about getting Window 6 UNTIL I started reading that most leases start July 1st and you have 3 days after choosing your apartment to provide 1st month's rent! Why in God's name are we expected to pay rent for two months before classes even start? : sigh: Right now I'm running the numbers on whether I should sign up for a lease during my window and just end my summer job early or take the risk of waiting until July to choose an apartment. Tradeoffs tradeoffs tradeoffs

500 enrollment deposit, 1200 to move all our stuff from Austin to Boston (and drive there), 1500 for July, 1500 for August, all before we receive a cent of financial aid?  Money's gonna be tight this summer. I wish there was a way to get our student loans early to pay for some of this stuff.

You said it and I couldn't sympathize more. I am basically in the exact same situation (with the only difference being that I am relegated to the Currently Available viewing.) Have you thought about skipping HRES altogether and getting a realtor? Even though you will pay a first month's rent equivalent fee, you would at least be able to move in August. In the meantime you could recoup some of the loss by working in Austin over the summer. 

« Reply #249 on: May 03, 2008, 09:29:15 AM »
Financial Aid question here: Did I read somewhere that HLS will reconsider an award if another school calculates your need differently?

The reason I ask is because I finally got my award letter back from Columbia and received a $30K (total) grant.  It doesn't mention anything about being need-based.  On the other hand, it doesn't sound like a scholarship, since it was in response to my financial aid application. 

Should I bother asking HLS about this?