Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: HLS Class of 2011, even if you are just thinking about coming!  (Read 49861 times)

LineOfBestFit

• View Profile
Re: HLS Class of 2011, even if you are just thinking about coming!
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2007, 11:33:39 AM »
Someone in the Admissions Office suggested they were going to be sent tomorrow (Wednesday).

smith555

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2007, 08:19:26 PM »
Has anybody been inside the dorms? What are they like?

QueenoftheCourt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2007, 11:14:21 PM »
Someone on LSN already reported $. I'm confused..I thought the fin aid process hasn't started yet. Did anyone else get grant offers yet?

Edit: I think the the LSN account is fake. Harvard doesn't do merit aid and the FAFSA not yet available.
Harvard Law 2011!

(Formerly known as CalGirl86)
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=calgal86

chastened aspirations

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2007, 12:18:27 PM »
For those of you who have been granted a phone interview from Harvard, what was it like? Length? Topics? Have you heard back from Harvard since your interview?

QueenoftheCourt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2007, 01:25:46 PM »
For those of you who have been granted a phone interview from Harvard, what was it like? Length? Topics? Have you heard back from Harvard since your interview?

The interview lasts from 4-10 minutes and is very low-key and informal. Toby Stock asks you a few simple questions based on your personal statement, application and resume. If you're asked to interview, just make sure you can elaborate on what you've described on your resume.

I got an acceptance call about a week after the interview, but the wait for "TS2" has been anywhere from 2 days to 3 weeks. There's a ton more information on the "Toby Stock Call Thread" on the Law School Apps board. Hope that helps.  :)
Harvard Law 2011!

(Formerly known as CalGirl86)
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=calgal86

tradewinds

• Sr. Citizen
  • YLS 2011 (98% sure)
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2007, 09:52:22 PM »
Potential future classmates: How do you feel about Harvard's size? I go back and forth: on the one hand, I enjoy small communities. On the other hand, a larger class means more people to interact with (and that its easier to avoid those you don't wish to interact with).

Startin Up Soon!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2007, 12:05:04 AM »
Honestly, yea, its big for a law school but 500 kids a year is still really small.  Thats smaller than my hs and is roughly the size of Amherst/Williams, etc.  It cant be too bad right?

meesawoosa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2007, 02:24:09 PM »
my undergrad is 1500/class... and a lot of my friends go to UC's, where there are MANY more students than that.  To me, 500 in a class sounds small enough that we won't feel overwhelmed but large enough that we won't get bored out of our minds with our classmates.

CrnchyCereal

« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2008, 01:50:43 AM »
Honestly, yea, its big for a law school but 500 kids a year is still really small.  Thats smaller than my hs and is roughly the size of Amherst/Williams, etc.  It cant be too bad right?

Speaking as a current Williams undergrad, I would definitely agree with this.  Williams is small enough to provide an intimate tight-knit community feel, yet is large enough for students to find their own niches.  To tell you guys the truth, one of the reasons I'm actually leaning towards Harvard over YS (assuming either of them admits me) is Harvard's larger size.  The social dynamic would obviously be different from UG, but I still like the idea of a slightly larger class.

Speaking of housing, I've also been scouring online apartment listings and craigslist, although I plan on deferring until 2009, so it's just tentative for now.  The prices are actually a lot more reasonable than I'd anticipated.  At first, I thought the graduate student housing at Harvard sounded like a pretty good deal, but after comparing prices, Harvard's housing actually seems a bit inflated.  Also, while I was on vacation in China during the past week, I actually happened to meet a HLS graduate in my tour group (he spent a few years clerking on the Ninth Circuit and currently teaches as a law professor at SUNY Buffalo).  He said the Harvard housing was actually pretty dismal and that off-campus was definitely the way to go.  So I'm sure when the time comes, I'll be looking on LSD for potential future roomies!

road

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2008, 07:51:31 AM »
Potential future classmates: How do you feel about Harvard's size? I go back and forth: on the one hand, I enjoy small communities. On the other hand, a larger class means more people to interact with (and that its easier to avoid those you don't wish to interact with).

I think it is definitely a plus. You get divided into sections of about 85. You have all your classes with your section the first semester (and 3 the next) so you develop a community. You also have a large school behind that so you can find people with common interests. It's especially nice if you're a non-trad since you can find similarly situated people.
IANAL...Y