Law School Discussion

-

Re: Name Successful Legal Professionals Out of TTT
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2007, 07:49:39 AM »
Probably half of each school's graduates. Just because you go to a TTT doesn't mean you won't be successful in the practice of law.

If you choose to believe that the only successful law grads are the ones that go to a T-14, you're sadly mistaken. TTT grads kick T-14 grads arses every day in court.

I don't think anyone is really arguing that TTT grads do not have the POTENTIAL to be successful.
The issue is simply the job market. The top Federal and Big Law positions are incredibly hard to land without having a big name JD hanging on your wall.

I'm also curious how many bench or jury trials you are sitting in on that pit T-14 grads against TTT grads.

ilsox7

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2007, 08:32:53 AM »

I'm also curious how many bench or jury trials you are sitting in on that pit T-14 grads against TTT grads.

It does happen, though.  Purely anecdotal evidence, but I have a friend who is a JMLS grad who completely schooled a Harvard grad at trial.  Fun times!

Ninja1

• ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2007, 11:21:29 AM »
Geoffrey Fieger. I don't like the guy as I think he comes across poorly in interviews, but he was able to donate something like $4 million to Michigan State's law school and he claims to have won more multi-millon dollar lawsuits than any other attorney in the country.

And I think Albany produced a couple of Supreme Court Justices about 100 years ago.

But really I think that depending on how you measure success, most people that go to law school, get their JDs, pass the bar, and secure some kind of employment will be wildly successful by most normal people's standards. Even if you're not clearing $160k right out of law school, $45k + benefits working in government (with the potential to still clear over $100k a year down the line) is still more than the vast majority of people in their mid to late 20s make and more than the "average" American makes (about $32k), though the average American is between 35 and 45. So, on scale, it's actually very difficult to go to almost any law school and not be successful compared to the rest of your countrymen, especially once you get your loans paid off and start putting money in the bank.

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2007, 05:46:07 PM »
Very good point ^

gdogg

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2007, 10:59:13 PM »
Judge Mathis---Detroit Mercy
Yale Galanter ---( Oj Simpson Defense) ---Nova SE

According to popular opinion on this board though, you are going to bag groceries if you scored less than a 170 LSAT and dont go to a T-14. :)

El_Che

• View Profile
    • 0L Musings
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2007, 07:08:48 AM »
Either that or go on to host your own small claims court show, apparently

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2007, 08:11:32 AM »
Either that or go on to host your own small claims court show, apparently

yeah.

$Bill

• View Profile