Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: PT at first choice school vs. FT elsewhere  (Read 1337 times)

nicole1220

• Sr. Citizen
  • I feel like that Chihuahua.
    • View Profile
PT at first choice school vs. FT elsewhere
« on: November 24, 2007, 03:10:47 PM »
I am curious about people's thoughts on applying for part time vs. full time. Is it worth starting out part time and then switching to full to go to a better school?
GW '11?

I am Penny Lane

• Sr. Citizen
  • Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
Re: PT at first choice school vs. FT elsewhere
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 12:25:31 PM »
Depends on the school. At Cardozo you enter in May and then automatically transfer in to FT as a 2L. You dont pay more tuition (i think) you dont miss out on any summer work, and you get more time to study... and perhaps will do better because of it.

If you get "stuck" in a PT program it may not may not be worth it... but many schools allow you to transfer up. American just changed their program so you automatically go into FT after 1L too.

With a 166, where are you thinking of going PT?
LSN

Quote from: dotlyn
PennyLane invented sweet. She has the patent on it. I tried to act sweet one time and she sued me.

I am Penny Lane

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 01:19:10 PM »
I think a chance at GULC is worth going PT for sure.
LSN

PennyLane invented sweet. She has the patent on it. I tried to act sweet one time and she sued me.

nicole1220

• Sr. Citizen
  • I feel like that Chihuahua.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 02:31:38 PM »
Yeah, I was thinking Georgetown. I am in Washington now and really want to either stay there or end up in NYC. I am thinking that a FT app to GULC is a waste of time/money at this point. Soft factors are just mediocre.
GW '11?

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 03:19:39 PM »
It won't cost you any extra to apply FT than it would cost you PT. It's the same application with a little bubble that says "FT or PT or BOTH?"
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

I am Penny Lane

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 04:11:07 PM »
It won't cost you any extra to apply FT than it would cost you PT. It's the same application with a little bubble that says "FT or PT or BOTH?"

I think she is saying that she believes she will not get in FT, and would rather be guaranteed PT then risk a rejection.
LSN

BiggerAl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 04:14:33 PM »
I agree with PL. I am curious about this too. Do applicants who check the "both" box frequently get rejected for FT and admitted for PT?

SabKof

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 09:53:03 PM »
I applied ED to GULC and checked off "both" for the ft/pt option. My numbers are similar to yours and i was admitted for the p/t program. I've lived in NYC my entire life, including college years, and i'd like to get out. The truth is that after living in NYC, there aren't a lot of cities that will offer a comparable array of opportunity. DC, on the other hand, does and opens doors that dont even exist in NY. That was my rationale for p/t. I dont plan on working & i'm hoping to transfer in f/t asap.

Some f/t students look down on it, but the truth is - once you're in, it doesn't matter how you got there, as long as you work your way up

Ha, I sound like a halmark card... 

UFBoldAsLove

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Gators.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 09:56:09 PM »
I applied ED to GULC and checked off "both" for the ft/pt option. My numbers are similar to yours and i was admitted for the p/t program. I've lived in NYC my entire life, including college years, and i'd like to get out. The truth is that after living in NYC, there aren't a lot of cities that will offer a comparable array of opportunity. DC, on the other hand, does and opens doors that dont even exist in NY. That was my rationale for p/t. I dont plan on working & i'm hoping to transfer in f/t asap.

Some f/t students look down on it, but the truth is - once you're in, it doesn't matter how you got there, as long as you work your way up

Numbers?
Vandy 1L... really?

Trill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 04:35:47 AM »

You don't plan on working?...Doesn't that render your argument about DC and its opportunities as being completely irrelevant if you don't plan on taking advantage of it?

What do you think interviewers are going to say when they see your part-time status and no work experience?

That's a risk you're willing to take? What if you do poorly, or just around median or worse? Honestly, I hope I'm admitted to GULC PT, but I will be working if I decide to attend. I have a lot of respect for those that decide to work throughout law school, as that sort of schedule certainly shows a lot of character and ambition. You also end up covering the cost of law school and end up without debt.

Someone who goes into the part-time program, but does not work, is going to look terrible if they don't have stellar first year grades. If I was interviewing someone like that, I'd look down upon it greatly.