Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: USC, UCLA, or Vanderbilt  (Read 1046 times)

Speedracer

• View Profile
USC, UCLA, or Vanderbilt
« on: March 16, 2004, 11:20:33 PM »
OK Im totally stumped on where to go.
Anyone got any advice I got into all and trying to figure out where I want to go

-Speed

yup

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: USC, UCLA, or Vanderbilt
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2004, 12:41:51 AM »
If you want to be in CA or on the west coast, definitely CA schools.  If not, vanderbilt might be a good choice (by the way im a 1L at vanderbilt so this might be a bit biased).  I chose vanderbilt over cornell, and basically it came down to the atmosphere at vanderbilt (and a nice scholarship).  vanderbilt is a great school and people definitely work hard but its more laid back than other law schools.  the people are actually relatively fun to hang out with (except the month before exams).  although coming from DC/Boston to nashville was a bit of a change for me, nashville is a fun city with good sports/bars.  in terms of placement, vanderbilt sends people basically everywhere; the most popular bigger cities seem to be chicago/atlanta/dc. good luck with your choice.

Speedracer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2004, 12:53:56 AM »
hey yup,

I actually go to Cornell right now and I prolly want to practice law in NYC if possible.  Based on that do you think Vandy or UCLA would be better. Also are there any dance clubs at Vanderbilt.  And how is the East Indian population out there

-speed

yup

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2004, 01:35:42 PM »
From what your priorities seem to be, you might consider UCLA over Vanderbilt.  In terms of diversity, Vanderbilt is probably not the most diverse place you will find.  I'm not really familiar with the percentage of East Indian population either at Vanderbilt or in Nashville, I can't say I notice a distinct presence.  In terms of dance clubs, Nashville is much more of a bar place.  While there are probably some dance clubs they are not nearly as big/popular as clubs in NYC and Boston.  While Vanderbilt and the Nashville area are more progressive than the stereotypical southern town, country music and southern accents are still pretty standard.  In terms of NYC placement, Vanderbilt places a portion of the class in NYC (probably 15 out of almost 200), but most of those people are either from NY or have great grades.  That being said, you definitely can go to Vanderbilt and go back to NYC, but it will take alittle more effort than going to Vanderbilt and working in Nashville or Atlanta.  Although from these factors (and my lack of knowledge about UCLA) I might suggest UCLA, I would also suggest visiting Vanderbilt before you make your decision.  I was pretty set on going to Cornell until I visited Vanderbilt and thereafter changed my mind.

jgruber

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2004, 11:30:36 AM »
I live south of Nashville.  I think the largest part of the Indian population in this area is doctors and their families.