*****preptest 14- section 4 -LR 25******

Waiting for Those Letters

• Cardozo Class of 2011
    • View Profile
    • LSN!!!!
*****preptest 14- section 4 -LR 25******
« on: November 23, 2007, 03:45:11 PM »
This was an interesting one...

In Peru, ancient disturbances in the dark surface material of a desert show up as light-colored lines that are the width of a footpath and stretch for long distances. One group of lines branching out like rays from a single point crosses over curved lines that form a ver large bird figure. Interpreting the lines in the desert as landing strips for spaceship-traveling aliens, an investigator argues that they could hardly have been Inca roads, asking, "What use to the Inca would have been closely roads that ran parallel? That intersected in a sunburst pattern? That came abruptly to an end in them middle of an uninhabited plain?

Question: For someone who interprets the lines as referring to astronomical phenomena, which one of the following if true, most effectivel counters an objection that the crossing of the straight-line patterns over the bird figure shows that the two kinds of line pattern served unrelated purposes?

a) in areas that were inhabited by ancient native North American peoples, arrangements of stones have been found that mark places where sunlight falls precisely on the spring solstice, an astronomically determined date.

b) the straight lines are consistent with sight lines to points on the horizon where particular astronomical events could have been observed at certain plausible dates, and the figure could represent a constellation.

c) the straight-line pattern is part of a large connected complex of patterns of straight-line rays connecting certain points with one another.

d) Native Central American, cultures, such as that of the Maya, left behind elaborate astronomical calendars that were engraved on rocks.

e) there is evidence that the bird figure was made well before the straight-line patterns.

thank you.

luke

• View Profile
Re: *****preptest 14- section 4 -LR 25******
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 04:01:14 PM »
so, you should be looking for an answer choice that supports the view that both the straight lines and the bird patterns are related to astronomy.

that would be B.

• Cardozo Class of 2011
    • View Profile
    • LSN!!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 04:05:26 PM »
would mind explaing the stimulus? if i understand it, it takes two seconds for me to figure out the CR.

dubsy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 04:23:29 PM »
ha, i remember drawing lines all over my paper on this one to figure out what the hell kind of pattern they were talking about.  anyway, regardless of what your imagination comes up with, the whole point is that there are two patterns of lines that overlap in the desert, and the investigator is proposing an explanation for what purpose they served. since they seem too useless to have been inca roads, he claims the genius idea that they're landing strips for aliens.

luke

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 04:47:04 PM »
would mind explaing the stimulus? if i understand it, it takes two seconds for me to figure out the CR.

stimulus:
features on the Peruvian landscape:  (1) straight, parallel lines (2) crossing over a bird-shaped pattern (3)  intersecting in a sunburst pattern, and (4) ending in the middle of nowhere

- theory 1:  the lines are inca roads
- investigator's objection to theory 1: no way.  why would the incas build roads that looked like that? doesn't make any sense.

stem:
- find the best support for theory 2: the (1) straight, parallel lines (2) crossing over a bird-shaped pattern lines are both related to astronomy somehow

luke

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2007, 04:48:41 PM »
ha, i remember drawing lines all over my paper on this one to figure out what the hell kind of pattern they were talking about.  anyway, regardless of what your imagination comes up with, the whole point is that there are two patterns of lines that overlap in the desert, and the investigator is proposing an explanation for what purpose they served. since they seem too useless to have been inca roads, he claims the genius idea that they're landing strips for aliens.

the investigator is a red herring in this question... just eating up the clock

• Cardozo Class of 2011
    • View Profile
    • LSN!!!!
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 12:09:44 AM »
Thank you both!!!!!!!!