Law School Discussion

"Minor" Traffic Violation?

"Minor" Traffic Violation?
« on: November 23, 2007, 01:13:08 PM »
One of the schools to which I am applying asks applicants to disclose whether they have "ever been convicted of any offense, excluding minor traffic violations which did not involve injury to others." 

Would a speeding ticket (10 - 12 mph over the limit) qualify as something that I need to disclose if I took a defensive driving course that prevented it from hitting my record? 

I assume that I don't need to disclose it, but adcomms always say "Err on the side of caution with full disclosure", so it'd be nice to get a second opinion.

Re: "Minor" Traffic Violation?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 01:18:37 PM »
But if you disclose too much, they might also think you're making them read unnecessary things because you didn't read the prompt carefully/use good judgement?  I'd say don't disclose it.  Much like you, I did a 14 MPH over speed limit a few months ago, and that was definitely minor (first offense, paid fine, did traffic school to keep it off my record too) AND definitely didn't involve any injuries.  Good luck!

UCILS

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 01:19:02 PM »
One of the schools to which I am applying asks applicants to disclose whether they have "ever been convicted of any offense, excluding minor traffic violations which did not involve injury to others." 

Would a speeding ticket (10 - 12 mph over the limit) qualify as something that I need to disclose if I took a defensive driving course that prevented it from hitting my record? 

I assume that I don't need to disclose it, but adcomms always say "Err on the side of caution with full disclosure", so it'd be nice to get a second opinion.

10-12 mph would definitely be a minor traffic violation, assuming you didn't hit somebody or their dog.

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 01:20:55 PM »
he hit a dog??

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 01:25:09 PM »
I'm sure he can hit all the animals he wants and still exclude it!  Ha ha ha!  Not a law student yet, but I'd say 'others' meant 'other people'.  All this bias against animals!

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2007, 01:29:37 PM »
Thanks for the help, everyone.

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2007, 01:29:51 PM »
Although the consensus on this board seems to be "DISCLOSE EVERYTHING!", I disclosed differently based on the prompts of the various schools to which I applied.  Based on your prompt and your infraction I would not disclose. 

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2007, 01:35:51 PM »
Thanks, TheDecider, for the very definite answer.  I'm never quite brave enough to call law schools on my own!

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2007, 01:47:55 PM »
Thanks, TheDecider, for the very definite answer.  I'm never quite brave enough to call law schools on my own!
That's why he's TheDecider

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2007, 01:49:37 PM »
And I post at lightning speed on threads that are not mine.  That's why I am TurboBoy!