Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Went to UofT Law today ...  (Read 2943 times)

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Went to UofT Law today ...
« on: September 28, 2004, 08:23:37 PM »
it was hot!  I took a look into one of their classes and it seemed like it was pretty laid back...I liked the atmosphere ...

Anywho, the purpose of my visit was to ask about their application.  They said that basically you get to submit an LSAT score, transcripts, OLSAS report, and personal statement.  Anything else, they don't look at.  So if you have an addendum or resume or anything else that isn't in your PS, you better fit it in there somehow if you want them to read it.  Also, they didn't put a length on their PS but the recommended 2 pages ... which is single spaced because that's how OLSAS does it. 

Thought I'd share ...

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Went to UofT Law today ...
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2004, 08:28:49 PM »
Hey Cheeks did you talk to any students?
No longer here.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2004, 08:33:31 PM »
not today ... but my next door neighbour goes to the school.  (and i have a lot of friends that go there too)  why do you ask?

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2004, 08:40:58 PM »
Currently I am having an 11th hour realization that maybe I should apply to UT.

Con is still $$$$$$$$, but pro is way less commute time (these are terrible reasons, I know).  I am wondering how competetive the school actually is, from a student, rather than from hearsay on ezboard.
No longer here.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2004, 08:45:32 PM »
ahh ... well ... from what I've heard ...

A few students get very high marks (A's); the top 10%.  Then the bottom 10% get C's.  If you're somewhere in the middle you'll get a B and end up pretty much like everyone else.  I've also heard that the big firms recruit from the top down (which is obvious), but if you're at the top of your class, that you're pretty much handed a job on Bay st. making some half decent coin (except you work 100 hour weeks :()

I would say that if you don't want to work on Bay st. then don't bother with UofT unless you *want* to go there.  However, if you want to do corporate, unfortunately UofT might be your best bet.

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2004, 08:47:50 PM »
You're probably right.  To tell you the truth, I really have no interest in the school except everyone says I should apply and it would be about 20 minutes VS 55 minutes commute.
No longer here.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2004, 08:58:06 PM »
hmmm ...

my interest in the school comes from me actually living downtown toronto already ... plus, I'm interested in their joint JD/MA in economics program. 

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2004, 09:00:42 PM »
Neat, UT has a pretty sweet and internationally renowned Econ program so it sounds like that you will have found your niche at the school.
No longer here.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2004, 09:08:43 PM »
that's true.  I really enjoy studying eco.  One downside of a US school is that I can't do a joint JD/MA because, well ... i can't afford it.  Both programs are crazy expensive and the MA would basically be for fun.  Paying that much money for that reason just doesn't make sense.

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2004, 09:10:41 PM »
that's true.  I really enjoy studying eco.  One downside of a US school is that I can't do a joint JD/MA because, well ... i can't afford it.  Both programs are crazy expensive and the MA would basically be for fun.  Paying that much money for that reason just doesn't make sense.

That's true.  UT seems like a bargain compared to the US, I guess.
No longer here.