Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: South Korean  (Read 4448 times)

force211

• View Profile
    • Email
South Korean
« on: November 23, 2007, 12:39:10 AM »
LSAT 166
LSDAS GPA 3.9

would there be any chances for me to get in the T14 considering that I am
an Asian who hasn't studied abroad?
would this be any help?

slantwise

• I've been quitting smoking for past 5 years.
    • MSN Messenger - hjk2881@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: South Korean
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 08:46:02 PM »
Your GPA is really competetive, but your lSAT score is not... hmmm...
Where did you go for undergrad? The reputation of undergrad, I hear, is important as well as the GPA itself.

By the way, I'm South Korean myself who applied for Fall '08.
w/ 170/3.3GPA... bombed first year as undergrad (1.8) and transfered to UC Berkeley (3.73)

I think your situation is similar to mine. We both belong to "maybe" category...

Here is my score card so far, it may give you a sense what you will be experiencing:
GULC: Accepted
Duke: Waitlisted
Columbia: Rejected
YES: GULC
NO: CLS, U Chicago
Maybe: Duke, UCLA

tmdghks97

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 07:26:54 PM »
Is it harder for Asian-American students to get accepted at the top schools? it would be interesting if all the schools released data on how many applications are received from each ethnic group and how many from each group are sent offers and # rejected... my guess is that at the top 50 schools, there are a lot of applications from Asian students and most, if not all, have pretty high LSAT and GPA numbers... is that kind of information available somewhere??  just curious.... and i also wonder - what is the average LSAT score of accepted Asian students vs. accepted whites vs. accepted Hispanics vs. accepted blacks etc etc, etc.... while i'm sure the public will never be able to see that kind of info, and be too controversial, i still wonder if I, being an Asian-American, will have a tougher time getting into law school...will my ethnic group's standards hurt my chances??

soccermaniac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 01:39:05 AM »
Force and Slantwise, nice to see fellow Koreans hahaha.  Obviously Force is an undergrad coming straight from Korea, and Slantwise, are you coming straight out of undergrad? 
anyway, I know one more korean guy (transferred to US college in his Junior year) and at the beginning of this cycle, we were thinking about what our options are.  Do we get advantage as international students because the schools don't have to report our LSAT? (that would presumably mean they would excuse low LSATs as long as they can see potential) or are we disadvantaged? (after all, most schools only have 5-10 INT student matriculating each yaer...)

I am 164/3.8 comning straight out from a UG here.  So far, i've applied to 7 (from reaches like DUke/Gtown to Boston college, emory, GW), and i received acceptance from GW.  At the end of this cycle hopefuly we can compare some of the results and see whether we get disadvantaged, advantaged, or treated the same as everyone else. 

Hammerstein

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 09:02:12 PM »
I'm an adopted South Korean, so I still check the Asian/Pacific Islander category on applications.  However,  I'm not sure exactly how I'm seen for admissions purposes, but I did discuss my adoption in my various statements (if it even matters as a factor).

Anyways, feel free to check over my LSN.  I'm a 171/3.85 and I got to a number of schools, the highest ranking of which is CLS.
CLS 2011.  All done.

chanoo11

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 09:17:27 PM »
Dang, every person who posted here is Korean. I thought I was the only one! Anyway, I think Force has a good chance at the T14 at schools like Cornell or maybe even Michigan and Berkeley. Are you applying for fall 08 or 09?

Hammerstein

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 09:40:31 PM »
Cornell and Berkeley seem to be pretty good bets.  Michigan and Northwestern would also be good places to apply to, even though their a bit less likely (166 being their 25th percentile LSAT for both), but still quite doable.  The OP could also very likely get into UCLA, and I'd probably apply to GULC as a splitter (couldn't hurt with such a high GPA).

I think that definitely a 166/3.9 can get into anything from UCLA down, though.  The T14 will be a bit tough.

CLS 2011.  All done.

slantwise

• I've been quitting smoking for past 5 years.
    • MSN Messenger - hjk2881@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 05:53:41 PM »
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how many Korean Americans attend law school?
YES: GULC
NO: CLS, U Chicago
Maybe: Duke, UCLA

gjrmf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 12:39:09 AM »
force and FAO - you guys are coming straight from Korean UG? which ones?
3.1/170 at a T10. Have faith.

dontpanic

• t-t-t-t-t-tell me
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 12:42:21 AM »
Hi guys!  I just returned from Korea.  :)  I'm a halfie, so my stats don't really count (I checked "other" on my apps, instead of "Asian") and I'm not international, though I did do a study abroad.

Nothing to contribute, just wanted to say hello.

Also:
force and FAO - you guys are coming straight from Korean UG? which ones?
I want to know too!   ;)
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dontpanic

I have spread my dreams under your feet,
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
- Yeats