Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Emory 1L, Not done with outlines... may never be done... Taking Q's  (Read 3669 times)

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
I need help slacking off. Got any questions?

I'm a 1L at Emory.

Pre-Emptive Advice: If you don't have good study skills, don't go to Law School. Also, being into masochism would be good too.
VIP.

El_Che

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • 0L Musings
Re: Emory 1L, Not done with outlines... may never be done... Taking Q's
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 11:43:24 PM »
There are a lot of different things that could fit under the banner of "study skills"; if there was one certain set of study skills or one area you could've focused on most before starting, which would that be?

Thanks, and good luck with finals!

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 01:13:24 AM »
What's up longshot? How do you like Atlanta thus far? How long til exams start?

Sup.

Atlanta is... okay. I've come to terms with it. Exams start... imminently... December 11th is my first one, I think. Torts. I am in no way ready for it.

There are a lot of different things that could fit under the banner of "study skills"; if there was one certain set of study skills or one area you could've focused on most before starting, which would that be?

Thanks, and good luck with finals!
Most important Study Skill: Being able to say, "no, I don't need to take and nap AND THEN watch House, I'll just work on my Torts outline..." and do that while exams are more than a few weeks away.
I visited Emory and I liked it a lot.

Perhaps you could expand a little bit on yourself.  How old are you?  Where did you go to UG?  What did you study?  Stereotype yourself socially.
Undergrad: Villanova University
Major: Communication
Socially: Awkward.
Race: White

Emory is a pretty diverse school, btw, so even though I am a white male of average-1L-age, that doesn't mean we are all white males of average-1L-age.

What do you think the biglaw cutoff is for Emory (for any "biglaw" job)?  What do you think the cutoff is to transfer your degree to NY/Boston/DC (I'm guessing it's much easier to get a good job in Atlanta than in NY with a degree from Emory)?
Good question. It's really hard to get a straight answer about a "cut-off" because everyone knows someone who just happened to kick ass in the interview and get a job they shouldn't have. The 3L's I've spoken to seem to suggest that getting a job in NY/DC isn't too difficult -- Boston is a special case, and you really need a connection to the market. Probably top-1/3 of the class to be SURE of a job in NYC. I can't comment on a biglaw cutoff, I don't know. It is pretty easy to get an interview for Atlanta BIGLAW, though -- so-i've-heard.

How do you feel about the administration/career services?  What % of students lands a paid Summer 1L job?
So far I haven't personally butted heads with administration just yet, and we've only been allowed to talk to Career Services for a few weeks now (NALP rules...), but that has mostly been positive.

Breakdown for last years 1Ls is as follows:
NALP Law Firm / Firms with 100+ Lawyers (prob. paid): 17%
Other Law Firms (maybe paid): 27%
Corporate: 12%
Judicial (unpaid): 11%
Non-Profit (unpaid): 11%
Government (mostly unpaid): 22%
Academic Research: 18%

There are also grants available to students doing unpaid public interest work in the summer as well.

What is your opinion of Atlanta?
It's really not my city, but its not a bad place to live. Emory is in a largely suburban part of the city, and doesn't really have a big-city-feel in my opinion.

How would you describe your classmates?
Gunners, all of them!

What do you attribute your scholarship $ to?  On your scholarship form, do you think it seemed like you really needed $?

I was lazy and I didn't fill out the scholarship form (or maybe I did... I didn't submit all of the info they required though). It was a merit award, and seeing as how you've obviously looked at my LSN account, you can tell that they were rather generous last year. Emory's scholarships are guaranteed for three years, so as long as you don't fail out, you can't lose your money.

PS -- my classmates are not all gunners...

There are a few gunners. There will be anywhere you go. Most people are nice. There are a handful of assholes, some slackers (myself included?) who really shouldn't be there, people who are too-cool-for school, a dude in his 50s, two Mormons from BYU (only one who is married), a dude from Australia...

VIP.

iLukeisamazing

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Noles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 09:18:25 AM »
Do you live on campus? How often do you make it down to the VA Highlands?

4RE

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 10:12:08 AM »
I am very interested in Emory.  How is on campus housing?  I've heard the VA Highlands is a great place to get a residence, if one so desires to not live on campus.

How are the faculty?  Approachable?

How many hours do you say you study a week?

What is your interaction with the undergrads, if any?

Thanks.

iLukeisamazing

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Noles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2007, 11:15:00 AM »
I am very interested in Emory.  How is on campus housing?  I've heard the VA Highlands is a great place to get a residence, if one so desires to not live on campus.

Thanks.

I can speak for the VA Highlands, they're amazing, but UBER-EXPENSIVE! Same for Atlantic Station, but that may be too far off of campus.

gclemen1

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 11:05:18 AM »
bump...where did you go captain?  I want to learn more about the school they call "Emory"

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 08:45:30 PM »
speaking as someone who could well end up at an institution such as yours... how often do you think about your class rank/job prospects?
Daily. It's a good way to procrastinate.
obviously you aren't a gunner, but would you say that most folks at your (in rankings speak) Roaring 20s law school are "running scared"?

I'm not sure I can answer that. On the face of it, it doesn't seem that way, but I'm never sure what is a facade and what isn't.
VIP.

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 08:46:45 PM »
Do you live on campus? How often do you make it down to the VA Highlands?

I do, but I'm not sure if that will be an option for next year.

As for Va. Highlands: not often enough. Although, there is almost always an opportunity to do something fun instead of studying. Except for right now.
VIP.

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 08:52:37 PM »
I don't know what the situation will be next year, I think they are still deciding on that ( they are building a new grad-student apartment complex on Briarcliff campus), but right now the housing is good and convenient. Va. Highlands is nice. You can definitely live there, although half of the lawschool lives in a place called Post Briarcliff -- which is pretty close to Emory.

Almost universally, yes. I have one "loopy" professor -- he's really nice, but sort of strange, and difficult to get an answer from sometimes. Everyone else seems uniformly excellent.

Me? Not nearly enough. Usually I just do the reading and call it a day. I'm a horrible student.

Almost nonexistent. There are some guys who decided to be creepy and go to a sorority mixer back in September. Other than that, if you want, you are welcome to attend events in the general university community.
VIP.