Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Significant Others Affecting Your Decision?  (Read 15859 times)

gclemen1

Re: Significant Others Affecting Your Decision?
« Reply #100 on: November 29, 2007, 08:11:01 PM »
sorry to hear gclemen has a girlfriend.  I thought he and I were gonna be able to do some tomcatting in LS together; he had the potential to be an excellent wingman.

lmao!  hey wingmen don't have to be single!  im just kiddin, but ya never know how life will turn out.  Hardly anything is permanent!

gclemen! I thought you had a wife!

haha no way!  since when did SO mean wife?

sorry to hear gclemen has a girlfriend.  I thought he and I were gonna be able to do some tomcatting in LS together; he had the potential to be an excellent wingman.

lmao!  hey wingmen don't have to be single!  im just kiddin, but ya never know how life will turn out.  Hardly anything is permanent!

gclemen! I thought you had a wife!

hahaha is this true?   nice.  I would also rather hit the bars with reezy than be married, for what it's worth

hittin bar w/ reezy and gettin easy nashville girls is way better than a wife any day!  haha! 

I am not married, but am in a relationship where we respect each other mutually...ok enough with the Dr. Phil *&^%, but I do have a GF

PreLawTiger

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 07, 2007, 04:04:33 AM »
I'm lucky that my GF will have a nursing degree right around the time I'm heading to LS, so she's ok moving with me and finding a job for her shouldn't be a challenge.

She's from Charlotte and is the spawn of her mother(not a bad thing, actually). I've been floating ideas like Tulane, Bama, UTK, UK, and others. The first question I get everytime is, "How far is that from Charlotte" ::)

In the end, I think we'll probably be engaged by that time, so she'll more than likely tag along wherever I go.

neverborn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 11, 2007, 09:16:12 PM »
Sigh. The sort-of plan was that she will finish her last year of UG while I am a 1L, and then move wherever I ended up for my 2L/3L. We're both big city people, and my targets were CCN (with H as a far off distant dream.)

I got a Darrow invite e-mail this weekend, and money's a huge deal for me. I don't necessarily want to live in a small place like AA, but Darrow.

She mentioned that she wouldn't come to Michigan with me.  :-\ :-\ :-\ :'(
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=neverborn

Michigan ASW: Apr3-5
NYU ASW: Apr18

Michigan 2011.

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 11, 2007, 09:22:25 PM »
Sigh. The sort-of plan was that she will finish her last year of UG while I am a 1L, and then move wherever I ended up for my 2L/3L. We're both big city people, and my targets were CCN (with H as a far off distant dream.)

I got a Darrow invite e-mail this weekend, and money's a huge deal for me. I don't necessarily want to live in a small place like AA, but Darrow.

AA really isn't that small.  You'd be surprised by how many amenities it offers for a city of its size. 
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

neverborn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 11, 2007, 10:36:46 PM »
I know the shopping would make her want to kill herself, amongst others.

I'll have to visit it, but I have a sickening feeling it'll be like my hometown of Peoria, Illinois which I despise.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=neverborn

Michigan ASW: Apr3-5
NYU ASW: Apr18

Michigan 2011.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 11, 2007, 10:40:58 PM »
The SO and I went to the same law school out of undergrad.  We both got into some places the other didn't - but she had the far more difficult decision.

Team Awesome

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 12, 2007, 09:49:42 AM »
neverborn - I think this advice could change your life. Introduce your SO to online shopping. As a new yorker who spent 4 years in the middle of PA, I can speak from experience. AA isn't as scary when you discover eluxury, shopbop, adasa, etc.

Majmun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Now Featuring Excess Whiteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 12, 2007, 10:00:49 AM »

I realize that every relationship is different and to each their own.  However, if living in a big city was more important to my SO that living with me, I'd take that as a sign.  Particularly if it was only for ~1.5 years and would help secure our financial future.  I can understand being hesitant but to straight away say "I'm not coming" is odd to me.

I am Penny Lane

• Sr. Citizen
  • Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
« Reply #108 on: December 12, 2007, 11:01:29 AM »
When we started talking about it I got a lot of "I dunno baby, lets just see what happens." But now he has progresed to "when we move for law school." It has been a nice changem but I will believe it when I see it.
LSN

Quote from: dotlyn
PennyLane invented sweet. She has the patent on it. I tried to act sweet one time and she sued me.

EatYourVeggies

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 12, 2007, 12:40:23 PM »
Next August is still a long ways away.  Be sure you've applied to some schools that take a serious relationship into account.  Apply to a school or two that would let you guys stay put or a school or two that provides adequate job opportunities or something your (potential) spouse would want.  (His/her family is from NY? Apply to 1 or 2 up there.)

For about $300 you can have the option to stay together in a way that lets both of you have opportunities.  It also may be worth putting down multiple deposits (so don't say "no thanks!" to a school until you're sure) to have the options available until later in the game. 

This is something I wish I'd done when I applied for Round 1, and my failure to plan ahead led to Round 2.