Law School Discussion

When does a "reach" become a "waste of time and money"

iLukeisamazing

• Go Noles!
    • View Profile
Re: When does a "reach" become a "waste of time and money"
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2007, 11:16:51 AM »
I've often wondered just how accurate lsatreport.com numbers are. Do we have any idea if one site is any more accurate than another between lsatreport, lsn, the official lsac guide, or any others?

I think LSAT report is the best calculator besides LSN.  That said, I think you should take the percent chance calculated, and assume that you have an exponentially better chance the higher your score is (i.e. if you are given a 25% chance, I'd assume something like 30%, with 80%, I'd assume about 95%).  This is assuming accurate data, and the data from the law schools is a year or two off.

Oh yea, it's not very close to "accurate," but it's better simply trying to figure out index numbers and it's much better than Chiashu, which is just awful! The "best" way to figure it out is finding a chart on LSAC that gives the exact number of applicants and acceptances from the past year's class. After that is LSN, which is useful for the "bigger" schools because you get a greater number of participants and the numbers show better because of this. After that, LSATreport... then tarot cards, then a Ouija board, then Chiashu.

iLukeisamazing

• Go Noles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2007, 12:03:35 PM »
tarot cards & ouija board?  Links?

Honestly? I respect your opinion, so please tell me you're kidding!

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2007, 12:43:35 PM »
Here's a better statistical calculator of school chances, it's in-depth and gives you a lot to look at:

www.lsatreport.com

The 1 school I've been accepted to so far, it gave me a 50/100 on my "range."

I used this to weed out the presumptive dings from my application list. 

iLukeisamazing

• Go Noles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2007, 01:02:25 PM »
Here's a better statistical calculator of school chances, it's in-depth and gives you a lot to look at:

www.lsatreport.com

You're the reason I started using it!

*tear*

You COMPLETE me!

rsr28

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2007, 01:15:18 PM »
LSN is the best because you can make it do whatever you want.

(at least for math dorks like me...)

iLukeisamazing

• Go Noles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2007, 01:39:16 PM »
tarot cards & ouija board?  Links?

Honestly? I respect your opinion, so please tell me you're kidding!

I was attempting to imitate a certain HLS hopeful on this board.

That's exactly where I thought you were going, I'm glad that that's what it was.

El_Che

• View Profile
    • 0L Musings
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2007, 07:30:04 PM »

www.lsatreport.com

How did you calculate which ones would be certain dings? 25/100 and lower?

El_Che

• View Profile
    • 0L Musings
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2007, 07:31:16 PM »
I've often wondered just how accurate lsatreport.com numbers are. Do we have any idea if one site is any more accurate than another between lsatreport, lsn, the official lsac guide, or any others?

I think LSAT report is the best calculator besides LSN.  That said, I think you should take the percent chance calculated, and assume that you have an exponentially better chance the higher your score is (i.e. if you are given a 25% chance, I'd assume something like 30%, with 80%, I'd assume about 95%).  This is assuming accurate data, and the data from the law schools is a year or two off.

The "best" way to figure it out is finding a chart on LSAC that gives the exact number of applicants and acceptances from the past year's class.

Do you mean the section under ABA-approved school on the LSAC site where you can get pdf's with admissions info?

iLukeisamazing

• Go Noles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2007, 08:07:58 PM »

The "best" way to figure it out is finding a chart on LSAC that gives the exact number of applicants and acceptances from the past year's class.

Do you mean the section under ABA-approved school on the LSAC site where you can get pdf's with admissions info?

Yup.  That's what I've felt is the most helpful.  Some law schools don't provide this info though...

Exactly. About half of my schools have these numbers available. So far, this has been good to me, and predicted my first decision really well.

El_Che

• View Profile
    • 0L Musings
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2007, 09:01:28 PM »

Yup.  That's what I've felt is the most helpful.  Some law schools don't provide this info though...

Exactly. About half of my schools have these numbers available. So far, this has been good to me, and predicted my first decision really well.

Excellent, I will take a closer look at those lsac pdf's. Should give me another thing to obsess over until I get some decisions :)