Law School Discussion

When does a "reach" become a "waste of time and money"

$Bill

• View Profile
    • Email
When does a "reach" become a "waste of time and money"
« on: November 21, 2007, 11:39:16 PM »
Due to the fact that I wait trembling for mail and email daily, I spend a lot of time crunching numbers on the [admittedly skewed] LSN charts and lists, as well as the LSAC LSAT UGPA calculator.  Some schools that I definately wouldn't mind going to (Cardozo, Brooklyn, Case Western, Tulane and others) seem to be just outside my numbers.  However...I really am pretty stingy.  What do you all do to determine whether or not you want to apply to a reach school?  Am I lacking confidence, or just being a realist?  What is a reach really?

Re: When does a "reach" become a "waste of time and money"
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 12:42:51 AM »
Well if you want my opinion (and even if you don't) it becomes a waste when:

total cost of applying > total benefit from acceptance x probability of acceptance

so 12$ + application fee if you paid it + (time spent on application X value of your time)
is > chances of acceptance (as a decimal) x [difference in salary expectation from school you woudl go to wihtout admittance here and salary expectation from this university x # of years you plan to work + any additional benefits such as prestige ]

Now do you really care that much?

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 12:52:12 AM »
I felt like most of my apps were a waste of time, but I feel like if one school accepts me, then it will all have been worth it.

MHLM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 06:11:39 AM »
I don't think applying to any school you'd legitimately like to attend is a waste of time or money. That said, you know generally what each school expects in the way of LSAT score and GPA so you might find it a waste to apply to a school where you probably have <5% chance of admission. Personally, since I have been admitted to my "safety" school already--one I wouldn't mind attending--I see no point in spending money on "realistic" schools. I will apply to a few more reaches, because why not? I might always wonder what would have been...

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 07:48:57 AM »
I don't think applying to any school you'd legitimately like to attend is a waste of time or money. That said, you know generally what each school expects in the way of LSAT score and GPA so you might find it a waste to apply to a school where you probably have <5% chance of admission. Personally, since I have been admitted to my "safety" school already--one I wouldn't mind attending--I see no point in spending money on "realistic" schools. I will apply to a few more reaches, because why not? I might always wonder what would have been...

Yes, wondering what might have been stinks.  That's why I was application-happy this cycle. (I applied to 22 schools where I would consider attending.)

gclemen1

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 07:52:26 AM »
you know the saying for the lottery: "you can't win it unless your'e in it"?  Well its kinda like that for law schools applications!

iLukeisamazing

• Go Noles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007, 08:04:11 AM »
Here's a better statistical calculator of school chances, it's in-depth and gives you a lot to look at:

www.lsatreport.com

The 1 school I've been accepted to so far, it gave me a 50/100 on my "range."

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2007, 08:24:55 AM »
you know the saying for the lottery: "you can't win it unless your'e in it"?  Well its kinda like that for law schools applications!

No doubt!

El_Che

• View Profile
    • 0L Musings
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2007, 10:11:34 AM »
I've often wondered just how accurate lsatreport.com numbers are. Do we have any idea if one site is any more accurate than another between lsatreport, lsn, the official lsac guide, or any others?

KidA23

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2007, 10:12:23 AM »
Addressing this thread topic, I consider it a reach a waste of time and my 87 dollars (assuming 12 for the LSDAS report and 75 for the application) when both my measurables (LSAT and GPA) are at or below the 25% mark. Being a white dude, this just sort of screams to me "look buddy, it's not happening." For example, I'm a 168/3.64 guy and didn't bother with HYS or CCN. As a white male, that's just a total waste of my time and money, IMHO.