Law School Discussion

Why Big Law?

doos13

• View Profile
    • Email
Why Big Law?
« on: November 21, 2007, 02:01:34 PM »
Besides the big money, what are the advantages to practicing in a big law firm? Is the work more interesting? Are you able to lateral into more interesting jobs? Besides huge corporations, who are big law clients? Do they work on any really interesting cases?

hmmmz

Re: Why Big Law?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 06:19:43 PM »
I really wish a recent graduate now working for a prestigious large firm would post here and give us a heads up based on real life experience.

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 06:21:27 PM »
I really wish a recent graduate now working for a prestigious large firm would post here and give us a heads up based on real life experience.

as you wish...

ilsox7

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 06:24:28 PM »
In general, big law firms will provide you with some of the best training out there.  And having them on your resume will help you write your ticket to some degree in the future.

hmmmz

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 06:28:21 PM »
are you saying they teach you how to do what lawyers do?

ilsox7

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 06:32:36 PM »

Big law firms host major training seminars, classes, etc.  You also should have some sort of mentor relationship with senior level people that can be invaluable.  It's like many big corporations out there.  There are books written about GE training programs.  Well, many big law firms offer the equivalent.

And yes, working in the real world will teach you more about how to be a lawyer in your first month than three years of law school ever will.

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 06:37:05 PM »

what do you consider "what lawyers do".  I don't know any associate who has personally spoken with a client.  I think attorney-client interaction is one of the most core things an attorney does, so it's kind of sad in biglaw you miss out on this

i personally spoke with clients in my first or second month on the job. i think it's pretty common.

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 06:40:21 PM »

yes. you learn by doing, and by asking (appropriate) questions. as ilsox mentioned, they also offer many, many excellent training programs. we have weekly practice group-oriented team meetings, and there's generally some other program going on each day...for example, a partner at a big 4 accounting firm came in the other day to give a 3 hour seminar on financial statements. things like that.

hmmmz

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 09:29:55 PM »
during my sophomore year in college i worked for a one man law office and after around 6 months I was meeting with current clients. i must be awesome.

Kirk Lazarus

• I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 10:42:03 PM »
$$$$