Law School Discussion

"that's absurddd!" method of reasoning

kits44

• View Profile
"that's absurddd!" method of reasoning
« on: November 21, 2007, 01:11:14 PM »
i see this a lot in descriptive method of reasoning questions, and i actually don't know if it's considered flawed or not.  here's an exaggerated version:

A: Something something something something.
B: HAHAHAHAH that's ABSURD!!!  you stupid idiot, if that were true, that would mean pigs fly.

I am assuming that this is a faulty technique?  Obviously this case is a bit exaggerated, but i can't find an example of what i'm looking for offhand: but basically, if one tries to disprove something by showing it leads to unacceptable consequences, is that flawed or not?

Waiting for Those Letters

• Cardozo Class of 2011
    • View Profile
    • LSN!!!!
Re: "that's absurddd!" method of reasoning
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 01:30:21 PM »
Showing that something leads to absurd conclusions/ consequences actually IS a flaw! I see it happen a lot. You have to be careful not to miss it b/c many times they don't preface with the name calling.

Waiting for Those Letters

• Cardozo Class of 2011
    • View Profile
    • LSN!!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 04:33:16 PM »
I was confused when I read your post b/c I could not understand why I was wrong- until I read what I wrote- and I did not write what I was actually thinking at the time. The absurd conclusion COULD BE a flaw- it is not always a flaw...
Sorry, about that!!!!!!!!!!

Not so fast Ida.  It all depends on whether the speaker concluding that another is making an absurd conclusion is correct or not. 

armada

• I have people to go and places to see!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 08:22:49 PM »
i see this a lot in descriptive method of reasoning questions, and i actually don't know if it's considered flawed or not.  here's an exaggerated version:

A: Something something something something.
B: HAHAHAHAH that's ABSURD!!!  you stupid idiot, if that were true, that would mean pigs fly.

I am assuming that this is a faulty technique?  Obviously this case is a bit exaggerated, but i can't find an example of what i'm looking for offhand: but basically, if one tries to disprove something by showing it leads to unacceptable consequences, is that flawed or not?

Wow!  That example just gave me a good laugh :D

kits44

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 08:29:26 PM »
ok, the "absurd" got a little more attention that i intended. so the main point: it can indeed be an acceptable method of reasoning to reject someone else's view on the grounds that if true, it leads to untenable/false consequences? 

armada

• I have people to go and places to see!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 08:32:38 PM »
yep