Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ITT a BU 1L and a BC 1L answer questions with civility  (Read 24951 times)

dischord

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: ITT a BU 1L and a BC 1L answer questions with civility
« Reply #220 on: May 08, 2008, 11:19:42 AM »
He didn't get the job in McLean so now it's all up to the one south of Dulles... do you know if a reverse commute is horrible?

Sorry  :'(

Do you have a map?
At least I can f-ing think.

greenie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 08, 2008, 11:22:01 AM »
He didn't get the job in McLean so now it's all up to the one south of Dulles... do you know if a reverse commute is horrible?

Sorry  :'(

Do you have a map?

Yeah I have a map why?  I mean would a commute from Arlington to Chantilly be really bad?  I don't know anything about DC traffic.  All I hear is that it's bad but so is Boston traffic.  I would think most people would commute INTO the city on 66 - not out, right?

dischord

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 08, 2008, 11:28:29 AM »
Oh, I wanted to see if he had to take the toll road.  If he were going to an address where he would basically have to drive to the airport, that would be hairy all the time since, you know, people fly out of there constantly.

On the other hand, a lot of the time the toll road is better than 66, especially going towards the city.  It mostly gets airport traffic since you have to pay a toll and all.

Reverse commuting here is better than the other way around, but there's just traffic here everywhere, all the time, especially with the explosion of business and development in Nova.  A lot of people now do cross-Nova commutes.  So it's not like he'll be breezing down the highway while everyone else is going the opposite direction and sitting in gridlock.

greenie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 08, 2008, 11:30:49 AM »
Oh, I wanted to see if he had to take the toll road.  If he were going to an address where he would basically have to drive to the airport, that would be hairy all the time since, you know, people fly out of there constantly.

On the other hand, a lot of the time the toll road is better than 66, especially going towards the city.  It mostly gets airport traffic since you have to pay a toll and all.

Reverse commuting here is better than the other way around, but there's just traffic here everywhere, all the time, especially with the explosion of business and development in Nova.  A lot of people now do cross-Nova commutes.  So it's not like he'll be breezing down the highway while everyone else is going the opposite direction and sitting in gridlock.

No it's out on 66 south of Dulles.  So he'd be commuting on 66 from Arlington out there in the morning, and the reverse home.

dischord

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 08, 2008, 11:32:31 AM »
Well then my last paragraph applies.

MrDiggler

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: May 08, 2008, 03:15:31 PM »
hey all,

i was hoping someone can give me a little advice. im deciding between fordham and BU, and i'm pretty sure, but not 100% sure, that i want to practice in nyc. i know that translates to a "go to fordham," but i like BU and think its a better law school. i don't want to work in public interest and i have not received a scholarship of any sort at either school.

what do ya'll think?
I'm hot 'cause I'm fly
You're ~hot, therefore you're ~fly

greenie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 10, 2008, 06:05:05 PM »
Hey does anyone know if BC ranks students?  How to OCI employers choose amoung students for interviews?

Stuje1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers Profile
    • Email
« Reply #227 on: May 10, 2008, 09:24:42 PM »
Hey does anyone know if BC ranks students?  How to OCI employers choose amoung students for interviews?

BC does not rank their students.   However, they do provide a chart that tells people the grade marks for every 5% from top 5% to the median.  In other words, they will tell you that the top5% GPA is a 3.67 and top 10% is 3.64 and so on down every 5% until the median.  It is nothing official though and you don't have to use it if you don't want to (it is not on your transcript), but is nice to be able to tell employers if you do want to say something like "top 20%."

OCI employers choose students to interview like at any other law school...mostly grades with consideration to journals membership and other extracurriculars.  We do have a lottery system, in which we resreve a certain percentage of interview spots for people to get in to interview at random, not based on grades or anything.  I cant remember what percent it is...maybe 10 or 20%.  I know a fair amount of people who got jobs that way.
8) Boston College
;D Colorado $, Wisconsin, OSU $, Indiana $, Case $$, Tulane $$$, Davis, Iowa, Hastings, UWashington
:-\ GW, WUSTL, Emory, WashLee, BostonU, Ariz, Minnesota
>:( Gtown, Mich, Nwestern, UIUC, Berk

greenie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 10, 2008, 09:34:03 PM »

BC does not rank their students.   However, they do provide a chart that tells people the grade marks for every 5% from top 5% to the median.  In other words, they will tell you that the top5% GPA is a 3.67 and top 10% is 3.64 and so on down every 5% until the median.  It is nothing official though and you don't have to use it if you don't want to (it is not on your transcript), but is nice to be able to tell employers if you do want to say something like "top 20%."

OCI employers choose students to interview like at any other law school...mostly grades with consideration to journals membership and other extracurriculars.  We do have a lottery system, in which we resreve a certain percentage of interview spots for people to get in to interview at random, not based on grades or anything.  I cant remember what percent it is...maybe 10 or 20%.  I know a fair amount of people who got jobs that way.

If I'm getting in off the waitlist I'm wondering if it's better than the system at GW.... hmmm

I think GW just does top 15% then top 33% and then doesn't rank anyone else.  That doesn't really bode well for people below 33%... hmmmm *thinks*

nukelaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Get your eagle on
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jimmydahat
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 12, 2008, 08:09:16 AM »

If I'm getting in off the waitlist I'm wondering if it's better than the system at GW.... hmmm

I think GW just does top 15% then top 33% and then doesn't rank anyone else.  That doesn't really bode well for people below 33%... hmmmm *thinks*

I would just note that incoming lsat/gpa doesn't mean squat when you show up. Some people just aren't good standardized test takers. I lucked out with decent scholarship money because of good numbers coming in, but I know that people with a lower index score kicked my butt in grades/journals. You just really never know how these things will turn out.