Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ITT a BU 1L and a BC 1L answer questions with civility  (Read 24865 times)

dullashell

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: ITT a BU 1L and a BC 1L answer questions with civility
« Reply #200 on: April 12, 2008, 10:47:37 AM »
Can a BU student also respond to my previous question about how easy or hard it is to take classes from other BU schools while doing the JD?

First year, you have a set, loaded schedule.  Taking non-law courses is probably not an option, and if it were an option, it's not an advisable one.  Second year and third year, I understand that you are free to register for classes from other BU schools as long as you maintain the minimum law credits to graduate (meaning, not more than one non-law class or so per semester, unless you do a joint program).

Comrade Snarky

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 07, 2008, 02:43:07 AM »
I've posted a similar question in another thread), but it seems like it would be relevant here as well.

I'm a prospective BC student, and I have the option of virtually free housing in Medford, MA (relatives with an empty apartment in a two-family house).  Before being accepted to BC, I had planned to take the T to Suffolk (currently I don't own a car), but it appears that I would be in for a ~1.5 hour commute each way if I was to take public transportation to BC.

Anyone have any thoughts on whether this would be doable?  Would I need a car to make this work?  I suspect it would be about a 30-40 min drive.  Also, what's the parking situation like in/around campus -- I heard conflicting statements on this.

Thanks in advance!

Stuje1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers Profile
    • Email
« Reply #202 on: May 07, 2008, 09:46:03 AM »
I've posted a similar question in another thread), but it seems like it would be relevant here as well.

I'm a prospective BC student, and I have the option of virtually free housing in Medford, MA (relatives with an empty apartment in a two-family house).  Before being accepted to BC, I had planned to take the T to Suffolk (currently I don't own a car), but it appears that I would be in for a ~1.5 hour commute each way if I was to take public transportation to BC.

Anyone have any thoughts on whether this would be doable?  Would I need a car to make this work?  I suspect it would be about a 30-40 min drive.  Also, what's the parking situation like in/around campus -- I heard conflicting statements on this.

Thanks in advance!

A 1.5 hr commute your 1st year of law school would be horrible.  I would say there is no way you should do that.  Time is very important your 1st year, and you will be stressed out beyond belief if you are wasting 3 hrs of your day each day just traveling.  Unless you are really dedicated/motivated and can study on crowded public transportation, in which case, it wouldn't be as bad, but still far from ideal.

Possibly your 2nd, and definitely your 3rd year, it will be less of an issue, so you can think of moving out there then.  You are in less of a time crunch and have control of scheduling your classes so you can try to plan it to work your life

Getting a car, or moving closer to campus, is definitely recommended.  There are no issues with parking on campus.   It can get crowded and so you might have to park like a 5 min walk away, but there is always a spot available.  It is appx $200 for the year.

Good luck with your choice.  Hope to see you at BC!
8) Boston College
;D Colorado $, Wisconsin, OSU $, Indiana $, Case $$, Tulane $$$, Davis, Iowa, Hastings, UWashington
:-\ GW, WUSTL, Emory, WashLee, BostonU, Ariz, Minnesota
>:( Gtown, Mich, Nwestern, UIUC, Berk

greenie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 07, 2008, 09:51:18 AM »

Thanks in advance!

I'm waitlisted at BC (but as of now attending GW) and I have a condo in Braintree.  I once took public transit from my apartment to BC Law and it took me two f-in hours.  Moving isn't really an option since we own so I'd have to commute via car to BC - that would decrease my commute time by at least an hour, which I still think is a long commute.  I decided that if I go to BC, I would definitely get a used car.  Parking at BC Law is not a problem.

dischord

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 07, 2008, 10:00:55 AM »
RE: Commuting -- Can someone explain to me EXACTLY where the BC shuttle goes?  Can I live somewhere on the C or D line and not have a car (this is non-negotiable)?  I'm finding a lot more attractive options along those T lines than along the B line.

Also, Greenie, I know you tried to explain to me how this works before, but I just didn't get it.  Maybe someone has a link to the shuttle map . . .
At least I can f-ing think.

greenie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 07, 2008, 10:07:08 AM »
RE: Commuting -- Can someone explain to me EXACTLY where the BC shuttle goes?  Can I live somewhere on the C or D line and not have a car (this is non-negotiable)?  I'm finding a lot more attractive options along those T lines than along the B line.

Also, Greenie, I know you tried to explain to me how this works before, but I just didn't get it.  Maybe someone has a link to the shuttle map . . .

Shuttle Maps! >> http://www.bc.edu/offices/transportation/bus.html

You can see at least one shuttle stops at the Reservoir stop (on the D line) at Cleveland Circle (C line).

So yes you commute from the C or D line BUT you will have to take the *main* shuttle to campus, then switch to the *Newton* shuttle.  Basically the Newton shuttle ONLY goes from the main campus to the newton campus.

greenie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 07, 2008, 10:11:13 AM »
Alternatively if you're ambitious you can walk from the Newton Centre stop to BC Law, but it's about a mile long, so that's not really that awesome in the cold weather:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=newton+centre+t+stop&daddr=boston+college+newton+campus&sll=42.339181,-71.187265&sspn=0.011483,0.028667&ie=UTF8&z=15

dischord

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 07, 2008, 10:19:49 AM »

You can see at least one shuttle stops at the Reservoir stop (on the D line) at Cleveland Circle (C line).

So yes you commute from the C or D line BUT you will have to take the *main* shuttle to campus, then switch to the *Newton* shuttle.  Basically the Newton shuttle ONLY goes from the main campus to the newton campus.

Okay, the visual was helpful.  That, and when you tried to explain this before, I had much less idea what you were talking about. 

But crap, that sounds like way too much of a pain.  Which is frustrating because I'm now having a hard time finding housing.  >:(

greenie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 07, 2008, 10:21:49 AM »

Okay, the visual was helpful.  That, and when you tried to explain this before, I had much less idea what you were talking about. 

But crap, that sounds like way too much of a pain.  Which is frustrating because I'm now having a hard time finding housing.  >:(

I would suggest trying to find a place within walking distance of Cleveland Circle/Reservoir (they are a block away from one another).  That way you minimize your commute to two shuttles and you still live on the green line if you want to get into the city.

dischord

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 07, 2008, 10:32:03 AM »
Yeah, I think I told you I looked at an awesome place right at Cleveland Circle but the girl I was looking with bailed on me  :'(

Meh, I'm just pissed because I had two appointments at what looked like really awesome places scheduled for this weekend, and I wrote to these people yesterday to confirm so I could buy my train ticket for Friday.  I haven't heard back from either of them, so I think they're bailing on me as well (so rude!!! What if I had just bought a ticket and showed up?).  AND I haven't seen anything on Craigslist that fits all my criteria in about a week.

Grrr.  >:(